Coaching Carousel 2019

hhcmatt

18 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

The fans won't like it, but I think it's a great hire. As long as Mick stays healthy and the fanbase doesn't tighten his leash to an unreasonable level, he's got room to make moves in the downtrodden Pac-12.

Considering how long this took, the Bruins did very well to land Cronin. I've always thought that dude's a great coach.

18 minutes ago, GATA said:

Will UCLA fans and donors have any interest in watching Cincy’s style of play? It can be awfully hard on the eyes. 

Only if it results in wins.  Does he change his style because that's what they want at UCLA?

Just now, hhcmatt said:

Only if it results in wins.  Does he change his style because that's what they want at UCLA?

The problem is the “wins” benchmark. He hasn’t won much in the postseason, and I wonder if the top recruits the UCLA fan base expect to get will be overly interested in his kind of system. 

He’ll make UCLA good, but I don’t think he’s a great fit and r the kind of coach that will get them back to elite 8s and Final Fours. 

1 hour ago, GATA said:

The problem is the “wins” benchmark. He hasn’t won much in the postseason, and I wonder if the top recruits the UCLA fan base expect to get will be overly interested in his kind of system. 

He’ll make UCLA good, but I don’t think he’s a great fit and r the kind of coach that will get them back to elite 8s and Final Fours. 

Virginia and Texas Tech say hello ! ?

3 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Virginia and Texas Tech say hello ! ?

Both of those teams play beautiful basketball compared to Cincy. 

The hate for Virginia is weird to me. They play great team ball combined with damn good shotmaking ability. I love it. 

Texas Tech can play both an uptempo style and a slow it down game. All programs would be so lucky. 

1 minute ago, GATA said:

Both of those teams play beautiful basketball compared to Cincy. 

The hate for Virginia is weird to me. They play great team ball combined with damn good shotmaking ability. I love it. 

Texas Tech can play both an uptempo style and a slow it down game. All programs would be so lucky. 

That's all I'm saying, defense can be fun too. I think UCLA needs D. They're done everything else but that in the "Conference of Champions." ?

St. John's has a pretty bold list:

1. Bobby Hurley

2. Rick Pitino

"By all accounts, Cragg and Gempesaw have settled on Arizona State coach Bobby Hurley as their preferred replacement for Mullin. The New York Post reports that Vitamin Water founder Mike Repole is prepared to serve as a mega-booster and throw around the money necessary to get Hurley out of a contract that was extended just a year ago. If Hurley won’t budge, hey, there’s always another old pal:

According to a source, Rick Pitino reached out to the school on Monday expressing interest if the job opened up."

https://deadspin.com/report-chris-mullin-out-at-st-johns-despite-winning-d-1833925415/amp

38 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

St. John's has a pretty bold list:

1. Bobby Hurley

2. Rick Pitino

"By all accounts, Cragg and Gempesaw have settled on Arizona State coach Bobby Hurley as their preferred replacement for Mullin. The New York Post reports that Vitamin Water founder Mike Repole is prepared to serve as a mega-booster and throw around the money necessary to get Hurley out of a contract that was extended just a year ago. If Hurley won’t budge, hey, there’s always another old pal:

According to a source, Rick Pitino reached out to the school on Monday expressing interest if the job opened up."

https://deadspin.com/report-chris-mullin-out-at-st-johns-despite-winning-d-1833925415/amp

Nebraska was on Larry Eustacy's list...that doesn't mean he was a contender for the job.

I'm not sure where to put this, but since it was suggested by someone that he take on a role with Hoiberg I'll just put it in the coaching thread.

Dwyane Wade played his final home game tonight before retiring. Maybe we'll be seeing more of him after this season, even if it's just as a fan married into the Huskers.

6 minutes ago, huskerbill85 said:

Cronin is an overrated coach by some on here. His resume would be fine at a place like Nebraska but 1 sweet 16 in 7 years would get you shown the door at UCLA.

Cronin is doing that with guys that mostly wouldn't be good enough to be recruited by UCLA. Him not advancing very far at Cincy isn't nearly as important as whether or not he can manage the type of talent that shows up at UCLA. How's a guy who's never lived west of the Mississippi going to navigate LA seems like a bigger issue than his coaching chops.