NCAA Tournament thread

9 minutes ago, royalfan said:

I believe the airball was because he was so off balance from getting hit down low and severe launch angle he had to put on the ball to even get it off.  

Airball?

He almost made it.

That said, I didn't have an issue with the foul call.

1 minute ago, atskooc said:

Airball?

He almost made it.

That said, I didn't have an issue with the foul call.

Good catch.  Husker4life posted right before me that the ball didn't make it to the hoop.  All of the replays I was watching were just the foul portion which was horrific call.  

I have no issue with a foul called in that situation...it was said above to let the game play out in the last ten seconds...i disagree...if you think it is a foul, call it...regardless of time and score.

To have a game decided because a ref decided to swallow his whistle is just as bad as a missed call in the last ten seconds.

4 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

I have no issue with a foul called in that situation...it was said above to let the game play out in the last ten seconds...i disagree...if you think it is a foul, call it...regardless of time and score.

To have a game decided because a ref decided to swallow his whistle is just as bad as a missed call in the last ten seconds.

I agree that a foul should be called at any point in the game.  I completely disagree with not having an issue on that one though.  1.  Fly by allowed.  2.  Kicking leg out not allowed.  3.  Kicking leg out caused the contact during the fly by.  

5 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

I agree with you in the swallowing the whistle but that call changed the outcome. If there was contact it was because the shooter kicked out, he likely was out of bounds and it was probably a 5 second violation on the inbounds. I come down on the side of referees hardly ever decide a game with their calls but this one did. And I did not have Tennessee in my bracket either. 

1 minute ago, Dean Smith said:

I agree with you in the swallowing the whistle but that call changed the outcome. If there was contact it was because the shooter kicked out, he likely was out of bounds and it was probably a 5 second violation on the inbounds. I come down on the side of referees hardly ever decide a game with their calls but this one did. And I did not have Tennessee in my bracket either. 

Yes, Edwards did the smart thing and kicked his leg out.  All the great ones do that.  Kobe was famous for it.  Curry does it.  If you are the Tennessee defender, you can't let yourself get that close to the shooter so that a call can be made.  Contest the shot, but don't leave your feet and fly at the shooter.

Edwards only made 2 of 3.  Game went to OT.  Suck it up, Vols, and go win.  Don't get DOMINATED in OT.  

Plus, during Tennessee's 2nd half comeback, they got away with a ton of fouls, IMO.  Yes, they made some shots too, but they got away with quite a bit.  

6 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

Also I heard Bilas make a good point this morning.  As an official you have to position yourself to be able to see the short side of the court as it nearly always gets inbounded to the short side.  No official was in a position to even see if he stepped out of bounds or not.   With only 1.7 seconds left it is poor officiating to not have someone in position to see areas where the ball is most likely to be thrown in to.  

39 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

Agree with this.  If it's a foul with 10 minutes left it's a foul with 3 seconds left.  Another gem the officials have brought into play is waiting to see if the shot goes in before blowing the whistle.  

3 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

I am ok with officials making calls whenever, but Like Royalfan said above...Be in position...and make sure you see what you call.

I'd rather have late whistles than anticipation whistles....

That is such a good point on late better than anticipation.  Agree wholeheartedly.  

9 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

I am ok with officials making calls whenever, but Like Royalfan said above...Be in position...and make sure you see what you call.

I'd rather have late whistles than anticipation whistles....

I would rather have that too, but no reason if the shot goes up and bounces around and comes off that the whistle couldn't be blown long before.  Happens far to often.

1 minute ago, royalfan said:

That is such a good point on late better than anticipation.  Agree wholeheartedly.  

I coach sophomores in High school...You can tell when an official wishes he hadn't blown the whistle....but he is forced to make a call...sometimes he will call a foul or you can see him change his mind to travel or a jump....but that is often a penalty on the offensive player who didn't travel and a jump wasn't the right call either....a no call was the right call, but once the whistle is blown, you rarely see an official just admit that he missed it and had an inadvertent whistle.

In Minnesota, we added the no charge Arc...and officials are struggling up here to adjust...often they don't know if a kid was within the Arc when you ask them (nicely of course) when a charge was called.

the five second closely guarded call on dribblers which is a rule in high school (college there is no five second call on dribblers)...you often have to remind the officials to start the count

for those still into this thing and rooting for conference mates, Sparty came to play. I thought LSU a weak 3 seed, and thought this matchup would be our bet chance for a B1G team in the elite 8. so far so good. 

MSU big lead at half (just about). 

6 minutes ago, tcp said:

for those still into this thing and rooting for conference mates, Sparty came to play. I thought LSU a weak 3 seed, and thought this matchup would be our bet chance for a B1G team in the elite 8. so far so good. 

MSU big lead at half (just about). 

It helps that their head coach is suspended for being subpoenaed by the FBI...

44 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

It helps that their head coach is suspended for being subpoenaed by the FBI...

that didn't top them from getting this far. nor did it remove the "product" from the floor. 

Nevertheless, hoping Sparty stomps 'em.