uneblinstu’s postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 35 - NIT vs. Butler

uneblinstu

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

James Palmer broke Tyronn Lue's single season record of 547 FG attempts last night. Palmer at 553 and counting.

I'm guessing Lue had a slightly higher shooting percentage.  I'm sure you statisticians will give the facts and prove me wrong.

12 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

I'm sure that was some of that but it was a perfect storm of a lot of things. We're talking about an 8pm game on a Wednesday night for one of the warmest day thus far. This is a team that has been a lot of fun to watch since March 10th. There were a lot of tickets available on the floor that usually available so a lot of excitement for a new view for a lot of fans.

And, I think a lot of "new" fans showed up that haven't been at any game this season. The entire place was up for grabs, as far as ticketing. I know i overheard several ppl discussing that it was their 1st game to get to this yr.

So I do believe the fans had a huge impact, despite what the lil' punk Aaron Thompson thought... with his quote from "Hoosiers" about the court being the same size on the road as it is at home -- which, ironically, is where Butler plays! ?

Edited by AuroranHusker

18 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

I'm guessing Lue had a slightly higher shooting percentage.  I'm sure you statisticians will give the facts and prove me wrong.

Uhh, yeah, I don't even need to look it up. JPJ is shooting 37.3% this yr. Lue was likely around 45-48% range in 1997-98. And I think Lue avg 22+ ppg. JPJ is at 19.7 this yr.

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

James Palmer broke Tyronn Lue's single season record of 547 FG attempts last night. Palmer at 553 and counting.

He's 11 minutes away from breaking Gallegos's minutes played in a season record

JPJ blew by the FT attempts and makes to be 1st overall in NU history in both: 213 of 280. The prior attempt record was 227 (Kimani Ffriend), while the makes was 185 (Jack Moore). Interesting to note that Ffriend barely made around 50% of his FT while Moore was a career 90% FT shooter. JPJ is right in between the two of them at 76%.

Nice win and lots of excitement. And in the general area around me there weren't many familiar faces. Some big husker fans and some there to just watch. Was told by guy that sits in section 100 that he got moved to opposite corner because Butler band was going to sit in lower part of that section but they decided not to come. Did have an annoying couple behind me. He coached and analyzed everything and was a real loud talker. The worst part was he would holler shooting advice when Husker were shooting free throws. He'd holler "bend your knees" everytime as JPJ was getting ready to release his ft. And his wife would holler "Go Big Red" or the players name  just as they were releasing the shot. I turned and gave them a questionable look during one late in the game and the guy right behind me informed them not to holler while we were shooting them. The woman kind of questioned him but they did stop doing it.

2 hours ago, rr52 said:

Nice win and lots of excitement. And in the general area around me there weren't many familiar faces. Some big husker fans and some there to just watch. Was told by guy that sits in section 100 that he got moved to opposite corner because Butler band was going to sit in lower part of that section but they decided not to come. Did have an annoying couple behind me. He coached and analyzed everything and was a real loud talker. The worst part was he would holler shooting advice when Husker were shooting free throws. He'd holler "bend your knees" everytime as JPJ was getting ready to release his ft. And his wife would holler "Go Big Red" or the players name  just as they were releasing the shot. I turned and gave them a questionable look during one late in the game and the guy right behind me informed them not to holler while we were shooting them. The woman kind of questioned him but they did stop doing it.

I had to tell a guy to stop chanting "Roby" when he was shooting FTs lol

15 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Uhh, yeah, I don't even need to look it up. JPJ is shooting 37.3% this yr. Lue was likely around 45-48% range in 1997-98. And I think Lue avg 22+ ppg. JPJ is at 19.7 this yr.

Lue had a CAREER .489 shooting percentage. What!?! I'm sad I didn't get to see more of that in person. He would have shattered all the records if he had come back for his senior year.

49 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Lue had a CAREER .489 shooting percentage. What!?! I'm sad I didn't get to see more of that in person. He would have shattered all the records if he had come back for his senior year.

That's his percentage from 2. His career with 3s at Lincoln was 44.6%. (His 3pt% was a 35.6%)

17 hours ago, cipsucks said:

Nope, you're right.  

Lue shot better from 2, 3, and the FT line.  Palmer is going to pass him because he's elite at getting to the FT line and currently has 93 more FT makes and counting than Lue in the 97-98 season.

Just now, uneblinstu said:

Aye...

Still...

He certainly would have been cemented at the top of a lot of the all-time records and would have made a run for some single season ones. You had the whole team returning back so you never know if some of those guys step up more offensively and his scoring dips because he becomes more of a distributor.

2 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Dude was a total beast. We all chanted "ONE MORE YEAR - ONE MORE YEAR - ONE MORE YEAR !!" as he left the court the final time in his Devaney Center career. I did not recall 49%, but whatever it was... Lue was pretty darn good for a barely 6' point guard who shoots somewhat close to half his shots from deep.

Edited by AuroranHusker