Butler (16-16) vs. Nebraska (18-16) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

Here's The BETTER Final Stats:

These stats (I think they're the Best in the Business) are really for the media (free to them) but individual schools can make them available to the public for a fee. I sure wish the athletics dept would pop for the $ to make them available to us for All the games. :(

Edited by Red Don

Soooooo... i dont want to go as far to say that Trueblood is a better player than Thor and/or Nana, but he is atleast a better fit for what this team needs. Curious as to why he wasnt playing earlier in the season (obv theres alot of stuff we dont see/know that goes on). 

7 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

41 wins in a two year stretch, the second most ever in school history (behind 45 in 1991,1992).

Good for the boys and good for this staff.  If we do indeed look on a different direction and hire Hoiberg, we can all thank Tim and staff for laying a solid foundation for Nebrasketball success.  They showed that you can both recruit and win here.

22 minutes ago, Red Don said:

Final home game at PBA. Next one at TCU and both Memphis/Creighton (Quarterfinal opponent if applicable) are higher seeds so they would host us if we made it that far. Any further and we're playing at MSG in New York.

*Sorry not the post I thought I was quoting*

Edited by khoock

4 minutes ago, khoock said:

Soooooo... i dont want to go as far to say that Trueblood is a better player than Thor and/or Nana, but he is atleast a better fit for what this team needs. Curious as to why he wasnt playing earlier in the season (obv theres alot of stuff we dont see/know that goes on). 

Trueblood is a great story right now. For him to get on the floor earlier you have to give him some of Thomas Allen’s or Harris’ minutes and that would have been a mistake. Hindsight being 20-20, he could have taken Nana’s minutes. Repeat, he is a great story right now and I’m cheering loudly for him sore throat and all. But if this team had stayed healthy and had a chance to live up to what it could have been then Trueblood could not have played big minutes. More yes - but nothing like he is doing now. Enjoy him for what he is and for what he is doing now for the team. But don’t romanticize him into something he is not. I do promise he will never have to buy a beer if we ever end up in the same bar. 

just got back from Lincoln and re-read the game thread.  That game was freaking awesome.  First one I made it to this season, and I took my 10 and 7 yr old with me since it's spring break. So much fun, that arena was lit.  And butler can suck it.  Apparently the big east is wearing off on them.

9 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

Trueblood is a great story right now. For him to get on the floor earlier you have to give him some of Thomas Allen’s or Harris’ minutes and that would have been a mistake. Hindsight being 20-20, he could have taken Nana’s minutes. Repeat, he is a great story right now and I’m cheering loudly for him sore throat and all. But if this team had stayed healthy and had a chance to live up to what it could have been then Trueblood could not have played big minutes. More yes - but nothing like he is doing now. Enjoy him for what he is and for what he is doing now for the team. But don’t romanticize him into something he is not. I do promise he will never have to buy a beer if we ever end up in the same bar. 

He simply knows his role. Shoulda been in the rotation since day one. Maybe in a different year or situation he woulda been 

Totally agree on this. We can look at it in hindsight and say maybe he should have played more, but in the moment, whose minutes do you give him? When you're trying to figure out which players have the most likelihood of winning you a game, is it the guy who had 18 points last game or the guy who guards him on the scout team? I adore Johnny. Great, great kid and 100000% a competitor and amazing team guy who has absolutely stepped up to meet the challenge here. But if you're allocating minutes on a healthy roster, whose does he get? And why was no one calling for him to get them sooner?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, thrasher31 said:

Something I noticed. Nana wasn't in the intro video like he usually is. Not trying to read into it too much but all signs are pointing that he's gone if we didn't already know that

At some point not being able to play on a shorthanded team because of yourself should wear on anyone

10 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

Yeah, I think really the only time we could've tried him was when Harris was sick. But Akenten was still shooting at a pretty high level from 3 at that point in the year. Plus we still had Cope. There was plenty of depth at that time. 

Perhaps we could've tried him when things were really tanking in late Jan/early Feb. But not sure it would've worked then either, as the entire team was slumping so badly. Trueblood is very effective now, but our Big 3 are also making shots at a nice clip in these last few games. Not sure he would've been as effective during the slump, as no one could make a shot then.

And Thor had his chances real early in the year, but he struggled to defend the 3 so he was relegated to the bench mob. Distinctly remember Miles saying after the 2nd or 3rd game how NU had allowed by his count 3 open looks from 3 in the first few games, and Thor had been responsible for 2 of them. Knew then his minutes were finished.

But the way he and Trueblood move the ball on offense is something that is perfect for this team in its current makeup. They dribble with a purpose - to draw the defense and let other guys get open - and then they find those guys. And they're just scoring enough that defenses can't completely sag off and play 5-on-3. It's fun to watch. Hope they get to do it for 4 more games.