Immediate help for next season

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

Roby already announced he's entering the draft.  That ship has sailed, unless he goes undrafted and has a chance to return to school.

Just because Roby declared doesn’t mean he’s gone. He hasn’t hired an agent and has until May 29th to pull his name out. I, however think he won’t be back next year.

With Jervay back to committed and Dachon sticking around, we have the start of a high quality backcourt.

We still need that point guard (Cam Mack?) and I'd push very hard to get a commit from Haanif Cheatham.  You have a 6-5 guy with some springy athleticism who can put the ball on the floor and drive it but can also hit a respectable mid- upper-30s from 3-point range.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for Roby because it sounds like the staff really wants him and think they can benefit him in the long run.  We'll see what Isaiah has to say about it around the end of May, but it doesn't sound like the staff have given up on the idea of Roby being around next year.

With Isaiah, we'd ideally take one more immediately-eligible big; without him we probably need two, including one who can shoot the 3-ball.

At this point, all of this seems doable. Just feels like this is a staff that ought to be able to recruit and land some transfers and then coach them up when they get here.

This could be the first coaching-change season I can remember where the first year wasn't considered like a throw-away "rebuild" year where expectations would be justifiably very low.  If we can add Cheatham, Mack, and two decent bigs (one of which could be Roby), this could actually be a pretty competitive team next season.

It is VERY helpful they have a foreign trip and can start practicing in July and get in a few games before the actual season starts.

4 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

With Jervay back to committed and Dachon sticking around, we have the start of a high quality backcourt.

We still need that point guard (Cam Mack?) and I'd push very hard to get a commit from Haanif Cheatham.  You have a 6-5 guy with some springy athleticism who can put the ball on the floor and drive it but can also hit a respectable mid- upper-30s from 3-point range.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for Roby because it sounds like the staff really wants him and think they can benefit him in the long run.  We'll see what Isaiah has to say about it around the end of May, but it doesn't sound like the staff have given up on the idea of Roby being around next year.

With Isaiah, we'd ideally take one more immediately-eligible big; without him we probably need two, including one who can shoot the 3-ball.

At this point, all of this seems doable. Just feels like this is a staff that ought to be able to recruit and land some transfers and then coach them up when they get here.

This could be the first coaching-change season I can remember where the first year wasn't considered like a throw-away "rebuild" year where expectations would be justifiably very low.  If we can add Cheatham, Mack, and two decent bigs (one of which could be Roby), this could actually be a pretty competitive team next season.

It is VERY helpful they have a foreign trip and can start practicing in July and get in a few games before the actual season starts.

What a difference a few weeks makes.

41 minutes ago, huskerbill85 said:

What a difference a few weeks makes.

Actually, if you go back and read, there were quite a few on here that were already pretty high on next year even back in February and March.  It wasn’t like the addition of Jervay and Burke were anything new.  A lot of people said, even months ago, that we might just be a big or two away from having a solid team.  That hasn’t changed much.

14 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I get the impression Hoiberg does not see Burke or Green as a PG in his offense.  I could see a Mack, Green, Burke back court with Cheatham and Harris spelling the 1-2 spots.  At the 4, I could see Hoiberg using a 6-6/6-7 guy.  The roster already has Nana, Thor, and Davis but I see Nana (who is a great fit in Hoiberg's offense) going and have no clue regarding Thor (but I have heard  for some time he has been contemplating leaving, even before Miles' seat got hot).  

Notice that the 3 transfer who visited last weekend were all 6-8/6-9 PFs (although one did play SF at UNLV)?  Also, I took note that all 3 could potential play in 2019-2020 (the UNLV guys had a coaching change and the NCAA has been allowing players to transfer without sitting out, and the other guy would be eligible in January).  If the UNLV guys were to come, I could see those two with Roby being pretty solid at the 4/5 spots. 

4 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

What happened to the 7 foot kid from IWCC?

Know he was a late offer from the last coaching staff but...

I have no clue, but Gates was his lead recruiter.  

59 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

We could be far more than just "pretty competitive" IMO if we can add Cheatham, Mack, keep Roby and add one decent big.  I think we could actually win an Ncaa tournament game.  

Edited by royalfan

1 hour ago, uneblinstu said:

If he could somehow find a way to land this one...

I would be shocked on this one. This alongside getting Roby back would make us VERY legit. That being said, I think Blackshear is going to a place with other pieces in place where he can make a run. He also put his name in for the NBA draft and might go that route. 

I am thinking Roby gets graded around mid 2nd round. Does he want to go to the G-league and earn his way, or work in a new offense and hope he can be highlighted. Plus, Hoiberg has a ton of connections and could sell a kid who played for him better.

Who really knows but I think if we can add one of the UNLV guys who visited, keep Roby, add Cam Mack and then maybe some more depth, I like our chances to at least be competitive. It is so hard because a lot of these guys are unknowns in some aspect.

4 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Actually, if you go back and read, there were quite a few on here that were already pretty high on next year even back in February and March.  It wasn’t like the addition of Jervay and Burke were anything new.  A lot of people said, even months ago, that we might just be a big or two away from having a solid team.  That hasn’t changed much.

Jervay and Burke arent enough. We wouldnt have a chance for guys like Mack & the kid from FGCU without the current coaching staff.

6 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/two-graduate-transfers-and-a-commit-headline-nebraska-basketball-s/article_ced8194a-8d64-5953-a775-fa9ebebfa06c.html

So. This weekend we have: 

DeAndre Davis to reaffirm his commitment

Haanif Cheatham 

And Matej Kavas (6-8 F from Seattle)

Kavas hit like 7 threes against UNO this year and had north of 25.

Averaged just under 11 ppg