Fred Hoiberg

ISU has a coach. They aren't interesting in dumping him. They have a former coach/player who was unemployed and wanted to get back into coaching. And they felt entitled to dictate to him what jobs he should or shouldn't consider.  They should eff themselves sideways.

When Turner Gill took the job at KU, I was nothing but happy for him (except it was like, KU, oooh boy, that could be a rough one.)

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 5:00 PM, GoClones said:

For sure. Fred also basically quit while in Ames, so if you have a fully committed Hoiberg without his NBA dreams it could really up what he can do in recruiting. NU fans should be ecstatic.

What do you make of the article that came out in the Ames paper the summer Fred left for Chicago that detailed a bad relationship between Hoiberg and the AD? Just a small example I recall was that the AD wouldn't pay for an extra night in a hotel after some tournament they were in and so the team had to sleep in the airport while waiting for their flight.  And "sources close to the situation" said Hoiberg felt like the AD was nickel and diming them on petty crap.  You think there's any truth to that?

Yes truth to that incident and some hard feelings from it.  It does seem Pollard has adjusted since that time but ISUs athletic department is also much better off financially since that time.  It doesnt sound like either have hard feelings anymore but for instance when Prohm to Bama talk was floating around even if Prohm left Hoiberg would not have ended back in Ames, neither Hoiberg or Pollard would have been interested.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

What do you make of the article that came out in the Ames paper the summer Fred left for Chicago that detailed a bad relationship between Hoiberg and the AD? Just a small example I recall was that the AD wouldn't pay for an extra night in a hotel after some tournament they were in and so the team had to sleep in the airport while waiting for their flight.  And "sources close to the situation" said Hoiberg felt like the AD was nickel and diming them on petty crap.  You think there's any truth to that?

This is not a comment about this article or situation, but I feal it has some relevance. My brother-in-law is the head coach of a nonrevenue generating sport in the BigTen. He tries to bring his team out to SouthernCal every year for a spring tournament. I get to see first hand him negotiating his budget and the interaction between him and his administration when he asks for something. When he asks for something it is always to try and provide a better experience for his team. He is grateful for the support he gets. Those coaches seem to know about all the situations like what happened in the article. When he trys to get his people other jobs I love to pick his brain. Why isn't such and such a good job? What have you Heard about such an such place? Its amazing to listen to him and his assistance reasons to these questions. Almost always their #1 reason for a "good" place is admin support. Which, duh, makes all the sense in the world.

55 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Impressive. Now, let's get down to business. GBR !!!

OK. No excuses. We have the facilities; we have the fan support; we gave Hoiberg basically a blank check to hire a staff; he brought in (and kept) top-notch recruiters who, in his words, are the "best in the country."  Time to bring in some players and win some basketball games.  Where's the Final Four next year?

4 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

OK. No excuses. We have the facilities; we have the fan support; we gave Hoiberg basically a blank check to hire a staff; he brought in (and kept) top-notch recruiters who, in his words, are the "best in the country."  Time to bring in some players and win some basketball games.  Where's the Final Four next year?

ATLANTA! GBR !!!

?

9 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

He corrected it. He was using future numbers

And by Year 3, Pitino will have extorted more from Minnesota, Penn State will have replaced Mr. Gritty with someone who commands $$$$, and any number of others will have received bonuses, bumps or pink slips, requiring even higher salaries for their replacements. 

Edited by jayschool
typo

3 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:
Fred Hoiberg said he’d take traditional bigs all day as long and they can run and shoot. But also said they’ve had a lot of success with 6-7 centers. Didn’t rule out playing a five-guard lineup if need be.

This quote makes me smile! Gonna ruffle a ton of feathers.

Checked in with our friends from Creighton.  It is amazing how quickly the I hate UNL thread has come to halt.  They don't have anything, other than someone from Lincoln raided a WWE hall of fame ceremony so we are all dumb drunk hicks.  I cannot wait for these elitist douchebags to start eating losses.  

34 minutes ago, royalfan said:

I am way cool with small ball.  Everyone just has to be able to shoot.  That has been our problem of late when we had a tough time scoring.  

This. Because the Big Ten is known for having some really effective bigs that are tough to deal with on the low post. But if we can stretch out the defense with our shooting, then that lane starts to open up down the road.