Fred Hoiberg

15 minutes ago, hguy44 said:

As a student at UNL, this will definitely bring hype to our student section. The atmosphere is going to be incredible. Can't wait.

Image result for fred hoiberg meme

Tickets are simply going to be THAT MUCH HARDER to get, on magnitudes more difficult. Nice that weve got the infrastructure and that nice huge arena for this huge step forward ???

5 minutes ago, HoiBall said:

What does that have to do with me coming on here a month ago telling you Fred was interested and possibly going to be our coach?

My comment was a little tongue in cheek, but some of you guys just can’t let someone know more than you.

No, I'm serious. Take a bow. You had the goods.

12 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I should add there have been guys who I thought were going to be and/or deserved to be fired but I've never liked joining in the public piling on.  After we lost to Creighton in Barry Collier's last season, I knew he was gone and was astonished when the AD didn't fire him.  But even though I was on-board with canning Collier, I got sick and tired of the constant "fire this guy" comments on every thread after every game.

I loved Doc Sadler, but it got to a point where he had no recruiting momentum and wasn't bringing in the players he needed in order to compete at this level. And while I thought he was a good coach in basically all other respects, I knew his recruiting had become his undoing here, and I accepted that he was going to be on his way out.  Still, I refused to join in the public celebration of a guy getting fired.

I think Tim Miles had this program on the cusp of getting where we hoped to go.  Some people want to call me a "Miles apologist" even when I've readily admitted he has holes in his game. And I wasn't about to be satisfied trading Tim off for some other rising mid-major-type guy to come in here and fiddle around for 6 years before being shown the door.

As I said above, this is the first basketball coach we've hired in my lifetime who we aren't pinning our hopes on potential. This guy's been there.   He's done it.  And I'm good with that.

Let me be one to say, thank you for being so level headed in these affairs. I, 29 year old me, aspire to be more like you in this way. Thank you. This kind of thing needs to be said. 

Ladies and gentleman. I can’t even begin to tell you how excited I am, even when I got told this was official almost 3 weeks ago. As someone who spent many a times at the Bob watching Collier/Doc teams as a youngster and my college years at the vault with Miles teams this feels like we found the city of gold. I feel rejuvenated. Like a new man almost. Welcome home Coach Hoiberg. The fun is just beginning.

38 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

The hatred cup runneth over: https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/on-supporting-the-mayors-decision-and-iowa-state-basketball.247277/

when is the the last time (outside of one of those top secret games) that Iowa State was even on our radar in Nebraska? 

Part of me now wants to get them in a home and home series....sooner the better. 

This would be like if Zac Taylor ended up going to a school we cared about in 4 years

21 minutes ago, HolyBobpilgrimage said:

Quick question: mobile or desktop, what's the easiest way to post Gifs? I love them as a media and idk how. How do you like to do it, yourself? Plugin or site? Some platforms have them built into the phone. Not as simple here, is it? Thx

Desktop is probably easiest, but you can post via either. If you just google a phrase of something (i.e. "this is great gif") , then go to "images", then click on that image until you get to the "https://media. ... .gif" url ("https://media.giphy.com/media/l41lUjUgLLwWrz20w/giphy.gif"), then copy and paste in your text box:

giphy.gif

I’m not going to apologize for supporting Miles until the end.  He deserved it.  He is part of the reason today happened.  He was a good dude.  More than that, he was a Husker through and through.

I said at the beginning of the year that it was NCAA or bust for me and that if we did get rid of Miles, we had to have a home run hire.  We managed that.  It’s a good day for Nebraska basketball.  

Now its put up or shut up time for Nebraska.  There isn’t no “hope” Fred can get it done.  Fred has to get it done.  We HAVE to give him time.  We HAVE to take out bad lumps without jumping off of a cliff.  This has to be the time for us to get it done.

With being a great hire comes expecting great results.  This is uncharted territory.  Will be a fun ride.

2 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I’m not going to apologize for supporting Miles until the end.

You should never have to. It's just that some people on this board this time around had their own agenda to push a new coach into the conversation. And since Miles had some successes along with his failures, it wasn't as black and white of a firing as some past coaches we've had.

12 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Desktop is probably easiest, but you can post via either. If you just google a phrase of something (i.e. "this is great gif") , then go to "images", then click on that image until you get to the "https://media. ... .gif" url ("https://media.giphy.com/media/l41lUjUgLLwWrz20w/giphy.gif"), then copy and paste in your text box:

giphy.gif

Thx. I'll try next time. Somehow I fell like I've seen this explanation on this forum before. Thanks man!

I really want to make sure, before the euphoria of a new hire and the promise he brings with him erases the memories of the previous head coach, that we honor the service of our soon-to-be-departed coach.

So, here's to Coach Molinari and the best three-day reign a guy could hope for.

giphy.gif

32 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

This would be like if Zac Taylor ended up going to a school we cared about in 4 years

While not that specificity...it’s kind of what I thought when reading the comments.  Was never an ISU fan myself,  but I also never had the dislike for them that I have for Creighton, Mizzou, Creighton,  Colorado, Creighton, any team from Texas, oh and I better not leave them off the list...Creighton.  I’d root for ISU over any of the previously mentioned teams....plus Creighton. 

38 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

No. It would be like Scott going to the NFL and failing and then going to Iowa state to be their football coach while we are stuck with a guy taking us to the Alamo and outback bowl every year after Scott had just missed taking us to the college football playoff because Adrian Martinez broke his foot in the B1G championship game.

I understand their feelings a little. It would be sad to see you beloved player/coach go somewhere else and be stuck with a mediocre guy that isn’t half the coach your ex was.

45 minutes ago, jayschool said:

I really want to make sure, before the euphoria of a new hire and the promise he brings with him erases the memories of the previous head coach, that we honor the service of our soon-to-be-departed coach.

So, here's to Coach Molinari and the best three-day reign a guy could hope for.

giphy.gif

Especially if they paid him 3/365 of what they would have paid Hoiberg for a year.

Edited by Norm Peterson

25 minutes ago, HoiBall said:

No. It would be like Scott going to the NFL and failing and then going to Iowa state to be their football coach while we are stuck with a guy taking us to the Alamo and outback bowl every year after Scott had just missed taking us to the college football playoff because Adrian Martinez broke his foot in the B1G championship game.

I understand their feelings a little. It would be sad to see you beloved player/coach go somewhere else and be stuck with a mediocre guy that isn’t half the coach your ex was.

Sounds like youre making Prohm seem like a much worse coach than he is?

Hes got 3 NCAAs (1 Sweet 16), 3 wins in those appearances, 2 Big 12 tourney titles, and 3 20+ win seasons.

Thats not far off from what Hoiberg accomplished.