Fred Hoiberg

I know i was on here a couple weeks ago venting about us not going after a big name and just spending the money...

i know i quoted some awful large figures

assuming this is really, really real (probably), the next question is how much they're paying assistants and who they will be.  I'm still hoping the answer is "a lot" and "guys who bring in 5 stars".

we very potentially have just hired one of the 3 or 4 great college coaches of the next 20 years (a Roy or coach K or bill self).  The proof is when the rubber meets the road, but this is very legit high-end potential and people need to realize that.

if you want a comp... look at rick pitino's career (minus the bad parts).  coached in college, went to the pros, came back and had about 20 years of really good results.

Please and thank you if that happens.

Edited by kleitus

The hatred cup runneth over: https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/on-supporting-the-mayors-decision-and-iowa-state-basketball.247277/

when is the the last time (outside of one of those top secret games) that Iowa State was even on our radar in Nebraska? 

Part of me now wants to get them in a home and home series....sooner the better. 

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I said in the past and I'll say it again: I back the guy who's currently at the helm of the program I've been cheering for since childhood.

I'll miss the hell out of Tim Miles. I think he was a great face to put on the program.  But Tim will be OK.  

Looks like Hoiberg is the guy now.

Like Frost, there's a Lincoln connection.  You'd expect him to be a "cultural" fit in the sense that he would know and understand the kind of people we are who go out and cheer this team on, game after game, season after (heart-breaking) season.

I guess the biggest thing for me is that there's no wondering if he can do it at this level.  This is the first coach we've hired in my lifetime who's actually done it at this level.  So, this is not a case of trading Tim Miles for whatever's behind door #3.  We've picked up more of a known quantity this time around. I think that's a good thing.

Time to see what he can do. Beginning with recruiting.

Yep. You got it, Normy ! GBR !!!

6 minutes ago, nebrasketball10 said:

Man I hope he brings back Doc

This times a thousand. Count me in the "I was a big fan of Doc" fan club! I would have to think he would be all in. How satisfying I think it would be for him to help take us to the promised land. Even as an assistant coach. He wanted it so bad when he was here and it did nothing but show.

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

OK, Hoistradamus, which players are staying and going?

What does that have to do with me coming on here a month ago telling you Fred was interested and possibly going to be our coach?

My comment was a little tongue in cheek, but some of you guys just can’t let someone know more than you.

8 minutes ago, HoiBall said:

Is this the time I get to say, “Told ya”?

Spike the ball; take your victory lap.

I would like to say that someone on this board told @Huskerpapa and me that it was a locked-up, done deal that had nothing to do with the Bounds announcement back when you were hedging that the Bounds announcement could put a wrench in the plans.

If that person wants to come on here and take a bow, I'll leave it up to that person. But @Huskerpapa can verify that it's true.