Fred Hoiberg

30 minutes ago, royalfan said:

This son thing is a little odd to me.  If his son was Cassius Winston it would be a little different.  

I have a differing viewpoint on this.  He's choosing to spend time with and support his son and his team.  I don't see the difference whether his son is the best player on the team or the last one on the bench.  Having two kids myself, I'm learning first hand that the older they get, the less they need you as a parent.  I'm not saying Jack needs Fred right now but the opportunity as a parent to support your kids in person and in the here and now becomes much less frequent the older they get.  I have no problems at all with Fred trying to take advantage of these fleeting opportunities!

41 minutes ago, royalfan said:

This son thing is a little odd to me.  If his son was Cassius Winston it would be a little different.  

This is the most time he's had to spend with family in quite some time. He's been able to spend time with his wife and kids, do things like go to the Carribean, and get the family together to go support his son. Making the most of actually having free time.  

52 minutes ago, royalfan said:

It's not weird at all. I bet Fred hasn't gotten to see his kid play much at all most of his life since he's been coaching. Like Moos said at the press conference just be patient. I'm sure Fred is enjoying time with the family.

1 hour ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

I have a differing viewpoint on this.  He's choosing to spend time with and support his son and his team.  I don't see the difference whether his son is the best player on the team or the last one on the bench.  Having two kids myself, I'm learning first hand that the older they get, the less they need you as a parent.  I'm not saying Jack needs Fred right now but the opportunity as a parent to support your kids in person and in the here and now becomes much less frequent the older they get.  I have no problems at all with Fred trying to take advantage of these fleeting opportunities!

I don't have any problems with it either.  Just don't think it would be a big deal to be announced as the coach before he goes to watch.  It would not be taking any attention away from his soon, as his son doesn't get any attention anyway.  Thus the difference between if it were Winston that was his son.  

Edited by royalfan

1 hour ago, huskerbill85 said:

It's not weird at all. I bet Fred hasn't gotten to see his kid play much at all most of his life since he's been coaching. Like Moos said at the press conference just be patient. I'm sure Fred is enjoying time with the family.

Ah HHC... It seems like just yesterday we had our pitchforks and torches ready about the Bill Moos trip for his sons spring game at Cal.  Not calling anyone out or stirring things up, it's just interesting to see how the interests of one's son are perceived, even thought the situations are both very similar and very different!

19 minutes ago, Mr. Red said:

Ah HHC... It seems like just yesterday we had our pitchforks and torches ready about the Bill Moos trip for his sons spring game at Cal.  Not calling anyone out or stirring things up, it's just interesting to see how the interests of one's son are perceived, even thought the situations are both very similar and very different!

I'm still annoyed by that.

35 minutes ago, Mr. Red said:

One currently had a job to do, was employed by NU, and was noticed by both coaches and players.  Trust me when I says lot  coaches and players weren’t happy.

The other has no commitments and is currently unemployed.  

I think thats a big difference.

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

One currently had a job to do, was employed by NU, and was noticed by both coaches and players.  Trust me when I says lot  coaches and players weren’t happy.

The other has no commitments and is currently unemployed.  

I think thats a big difference.

Huge difference!

4 hours ago, Klas3131 said:

I find it a bit odd too.  I love the fact Fred wants to follow his son's team, but it's not like Jack plays.  He played the last 14 seconds last Saturday in a mop up role.

Here is how that conversation should go, "If you actually played any meaningful minutes in a game I'd hold off my announcement but since you don't...."

Nebraska fans are simply the best.

4 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Have zero issue with Fred waiting til his son's season is over. I'd want that if I were in his shoes, too. Also, if that what it takes to get him, then who am I to quibble about something like supporting family during a lifetime highlight?

I think it's Hoiberg's way of telling Izzo there's a new mayor in town.  ?

17 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Here is how that conversation should go, "If you actually played any meaningful minutes in a game I'd hold off my announcement but since you don't...."

Nebraska fans are simply the best.

How is life up there in that ivory tower?  Man, you sure can be condescending!  

I have ZERO issues with him going to watch Jack play.  I simply don't see the reason why THAT would be the only holdup to making the announcement.  It's not like it's going to be a distraction for Jack.  It may be a distraction that Fred doesn't want, which I get.  But it won't affect Jack's play.  Like Royal said, if a key starter was Fred's son, an announcement like that could be a distraction to his play.  It won't be for Jack.