Fred Hoiberg

34 minutes ago, ConkTrifecta3 said:

I think it will be early next week regardless. 

Yes - if at all possible, they'll want him at the Final Four, where every coach on the planet and multiple national journalists gather, in NU gear. This is a splash hire, so that's the best place to make a splash, while the news is still fresh.

Announcing this any time Monday thru Wednesday would be ideal.

Posted this over in the coaching carousel thread but this is also very applicable to Hoiberg and the potential pit falls you can run into with hiring the "hot, up and coming coach".  Thankfully Iowa St. appears completely locked down at this point and hopefully there are no dream jobs of Fred's that opens up in the next 7-14 days!!!

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/how-texas-tech-poached-chris-beard-from-unlv-setting-two-programs-on-divergent-paths-015036321.html

9 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

Posted this over in the coaching carousel thread but this is also very applicable to Hoiberg and the potential pit falls you can run into with hiring the "hot, up and coming coach".  Thankfully Iowa St. appears completely locked down at this point and hopefully there are no dream jobs of Fred's that opens up in the next 7-14 days!!!

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/how-texas-tech-poached-chris-beard-from-unlv-setting-two-programs-on-divergent-paths-015036321.html

With ISU off the table we are in the clear. Very interesting read. TT AD made a courtesy call and UNLV AD told him he did not have permission to speak to Beard. Sucks but you kind of have to know your place in the food chain. 

1 hour ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

I think it gives good insight into how the hire of coaches can work and should show that Moos "top 3" could have included anyone really.

3 hours ago, hskr4life said:

I think it gives good insight into how the hire of coaches can work and should show that Moos "top 3" could have included anyone really.

IIRC, Moos said he had a handful of coaches in mind when Riley was fired, too. And that he called them to gauge their interest. But we know now that he only really had one coach he was keen to pursue in Frost and he got him. Methinks 3 only really means 1 and, whoever that is, he intends to get him, too. Time will tell.

1 minute ago, hskr4life said:

So Moos was reaching out in February.  Interesting.  Had he already made up his mind at that time?  I don't know how much I like that.

Due diligence.   Season was spiraling.   Was just being prepared with arguably the number one coaching prospect this year 

5 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

So Moos was reaching out in February.  Interesting.  Had he already made up his mind at that time?  I don't know how much I like that.

Like it or hate it, that's his job. If he fires Miles and hasn't gauged anyones interest, then we're sitting here holding our pud. Everyone said if we can't upgrade with a proven winner then keep Tim, well how would Moos do that if he has no idea who would have interest in the open Nebraska job. 

6 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Due diligence.   Season was spiraling.   Was just being prepared with arguably the number one coaching prospect this year 

I gotta agree with that.  I don't think he'd made up his mind yet, but was just checking on a coach who currently is not employed anywhere.  It didn't hurt to check.  Had Miles turned the season around and got us to the tourney, he may never have again reached out to Hoiberg.  

Just now, The Polish Rifle said:

Like it or hate it, that's his job. If he fires Miles and hasn't gauged anyones interest, then we're sitting here holding our pud. Everyone said if we can't upgrade with a proven winner then keep Tim, well how would Moos do that if he has no idea who would have interest in the open Nebraska job. 

Yeah I'm not a fan of it but it's the nature of the business and I realize that. I agree with this setiment. 

1 minute ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I may be completely wrong on this, but I truly feel that Moos WANTED Tim Miles to work here.  I really do.  I know some ADs like to get "their guy" here, but I don't think that was the case with Moos.

Just now, Klas3131 said:

I may be completely wrong on this, but I truly feel that Moos WANTED Tim Miles to work here.  I really do.  I know some ADs like to get "their guy" here, but I don't think that was the case with Moos.

I'm not 100% certain on this, but I know someone close to the program that might disagree with this statement.

20 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Given the current list of proposed of mayoral candidates for Lincoln, I for one, would be willing to cede the election to Fred. 

Fred the Mayor and T.O. the Governor with, of course, Frosty as the Lt. Governor. Sounds good 'nuff.

?

Edited by AuroranHusker

3 hours ago, nustudent said:

Exactly. What helped us Fred didn't have a job. Moos didn't have to be sneaky and use a go between. He could simply pick up the phone and have a "how's it going conversation"