Fred Hoiberg

3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

There are staff members who would potentially follow Miles wherever he went next. And there are staff members who would have been looking to advance their own careers.  Miles was going to have to replace Lewis and Armon Gates sometime soon regardless of what happened this season.  I don't see them wanting to take the next step with Miles if a head coaching position were to come their way, and I'm sure that's what both of them would be looking for.

They might stay here to work with Hoiberg for a short period, I don't know.  But their objective was not to be assistant coaches for much longer.  I'm sure of that.

Absolutely. And I know there are staffers below that who are looking to jump into the coaching ranks that are very highly thought of, too, so there are lots of things in flux for a lot of people.

Edited by uneblinstu

1 minute ago, uneblinstu said:

Absolutely. And I know there are staffers below that who are looking to jump into the coaching ranks that are very highly thought of, too, so there are lots of things in flux for a lot of people.

I was going to say that, but I decided to be less wordy for once in my life. Thanks for saying it.

40 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

My best guess is that the 7-14 day timeline was to allow Fred to enjoy watching his son and his son's team in the tournament and to not be a distraction.

Moos is not above making a hire a distraction. 

See: Announcement of Frost’s hiring. 

Hope that Dachon will stay and not seek a transfer waiver. He looked very good in the preseason scrimmage. If it is Hoiberg, his prior success in the college ranks, his NBA coaching pedigree, and his fun style of play, would hopefully be helpful in getting him to stay. It could be that once the new coach gets on board, he communicates to some of the recruits/current roster guys that it would be in their best interests to look for another school. 

28 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Wouldn't Burke have to sit out another year then, without a redshirt left?  I was thinking this would lead to him being likely to stay, but maybe I don't have the rules right in my brain.  

EDIT should have read on further as Matt made this point already.  

I think if it is indeed Hoiberg that any player that likes to score baskets would stay. He’s known to run a prolific fun offense and he is coming from the NBA. Similar as to why Stanley Morgan and Spielman stayed to play for Frost. 

Edited by DOATHLON

2 minutes ago, Coaches kid said:

Hope that Dachon will stay and not seek a transfer waiver. He looked very good in the preseason scrimmage. If it is Hoiberg, his prior success in the college ranks, his NBA coaching pedigree, and his fun style of play, would hopefully be helpful in getting him to stay. It could be that once the new coach gets on board, he communicates to some of the recruits/current roster guys that it would be in their best interests to look for another school. 

Him, Allen, and green all compliment each other very well in the backcourt in my opinion. Have a shooter, a slasher/defender, and a bucket getter. 

Edited by thrasher31

15 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Reaction from inside the Iowa journalism school to the news that Fred Hoiberg may be coming to Lincoln:

"They'll never get him, will they?"

Well, he has all these connections to UNL.

"Oh. He's a really good coach. (Stunned look) He's REALLY GOOD." Walks away to ponder future.

I believe at ISU he was 4-1 vs Iowa. And now he gets a chance to beat them 1-3 times per year. I can understand their concern. 

Also impressive that Hoiberg inherited quite a dumpster fire at ISU and still beat his rival 4 times out of 5, along with all of the other successes. 

Either way, Miles leaves NU in much better shape than whatever failure of a coach Hoiberg followed at ISU. Fans of the team wherever that coach is now probably are pretty concerned as well. 

Edited by throwback

7 minutes ago, throwback said:

I believe at ISU he was 4-1 vs Iowa. And now he gets a chance to beat them 1-3 times per year. I can understand their concern. 

Also impressive that Hoiberg inherited quite a dumpster fire at ISU and still beat his rival 4 times out of 5, along with all of the other successes. 

Either way, Miles leaves NU in much better shape than whatever failure of a coach Hoiberg followed at ISU. Fans of the team wherever that coach is now probably are pretty concerned as well. 

I see what you did there.

18 minutes ago, throwback said:

Is this the guy you're talking about? The "whatever failure of a coach Hoiberg followed at ISU?"

image.png

15 minutes ago, khoock said:

Jervay, MAW, and Donovan Williams all said they really liked Miles. But are still committed to Nebraska and will wait to see how the relationship with the new coach is. Havent found anything on Arop yet.

Interesting. I would think of Arop as the most N of that group

31 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Is this the guy you're talking about? The "whatever failure of a coach Hoiberg followed at ISU?"

image.png

Huh. Small world.

Based on his record at ISU, I guess he didn't figure out how to come up with $100K for recruits and good job offers for their parents (allegedly) till he received some extra guidance at his current position.

Edited by throwback