Fred Hoiberg

1 hour ago, HuskerCager said:

This story is taking on Sallie-esque overtones.  Indulge me for a minute while an experienced Husker fan shares what could happen by the end of March:

1.  Hoiberg signs a contract agreeing to become NU's next head coach.  Moos keeps the signed contract at his house in a flour jar in the kitchen cabinet.
2.  Moos fires Miles and his staff.
3. The recruiting scandal at U of Arizona blossoms and Sean Miller is fired.  The A.D. decides to go for a coach with a clean image.  Miles is approached and hired.
4.  Hoiberg is approached by other schools indirectly, but Hoiberg says "Sorry, I've already signed a contract with another school."
5. LSU approaches Greg McDermott, who is interested.  LSU hires McDermott.
6.  Moos catches wind that it is Boehms' birthday.  Asks his wife to bake Marc Boehm a birthday cake, which he will bring to the office the next day.
7.  Moos calls in his staff and everyone he can find in the hallway to come in and enjoy a little cake celebrating Marc's birthday.  Moos does the honors of cutting the first piece.
8.  Staff members look on in horror as Moos pulls out remnants of the Hoiberg contract out of the cake, which is now worthless  (the contract, not the cake).
8.  A staff member instragram's a photo of the cake with the remnants of the contract.  The story becomes public.
9.  Rasmussen quickly approaches Hoiberg, who agrees to become the next coach at Creighton.
10.  A humiliated Moos, resumes the coaching search, signing Ernie Kent to a 5 year contract.

These are the things that happen to Nebraska basketball, my friends.  Brace yourselves.

For no particular reason except I like the movie

4 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

lol..bet Marc Boehm survives.  

Not protecting the guy, but he has nothing to do with hiring or firing coaches within the basketball department.

Looking up his job description. It’s about fan experience, game day management, making sure coaches get what they need... he does not hire or fire coaches. Do you know who John Jentz is? He’s the same as Marc, but for football.

i was corrected on this and was completely wrong about it too. Feel a lot of ppl don’t know what he actually does.

6 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

So far the national media has pretty much crucified our AD, our current coach is still the coach, Fred went from 100% Nebraska to not a 100% deal, and the current President of UNL stepped down.  

Hell of a Monday I'd say.  Just another Nebrasketball day.

And it will probably be one of the slowest days of the week. ?

13 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

It's a win-win for them with Hoiberg. If he succeeds, they're self-proclaimed geniuses because they knew a guy who knows a guy that Hoiberg is coming here (not really sure how that affects anything, but so be it). And if Hoiberg comes here and can't elevate the program, they know that the majority of people on this board will support the coach until the very end, so they won't get a taste of their own medicine that they've been dishing out to some people on this board for the past month.

THIS. 

Like, I understand the hype for a success- starved fanbase with an inferiority complex. It's fine to get excited. But god-dang, just chill out and have patience. speculation is fine, but the self-proclaimed expert couch coaches need to take a dose of humility and realise that 90% of these predictions are wildly wrong and usually extreme. I'm only learning now after a decade of nebrasketball fandom to find equilibrium and be "even keel" in how I look at sports (and life). just takes time. at this point I expect the wild "internet" reactions, and assume they're internet people and younguns, most likely. welp. 

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

So far the national media has pretty much crucified our AD, our current coach is still the coach, Fred went from 100% Nebraska to not a 100% deal, and the current President of UNL stepped down.  

As they should. Tim Miles is going to be fired, I get it, but he’s done nothing in his 7 years of service to deserve this kind of treatment. It takes 5 minutes to fire someone when all of the paperwork is complete, which I’m sure it is. Make time. 

12 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

If what I've heard is true, we're about to bring in a coach and pay him nearly $30 million over the next 7 years.

With that context in mind, I just shake my head at the collective, anguished howling that went up in some corners of the Husker hoops world when Doc Sadler got a raise to $900,000/year and a 2-year extension before he was ultimately terminated, resulting in a buyout of ... significantly less than the amount of one year's pay for our next coach.

It seems like it's always the same people who want the current coach to be fired. Those people who were bitching about the cost of Doc's buyout (probably the same folks who're excited as little school girls over the next hire) are going to be a little conflicted if the other rumor is true about Doc returning. Sounds like we're going to be paying him about as much to be an assistant as we paid him when he was the head guy.

Doc Sadler was a frickin' bargain, you numbskulls.

lol I love it. You get it. we really do need to step back and laugh at how much of morons we are sometimes., seriously

8 hours ago, DOATHLON said:

Living and raising a family in Alabama is why you really don't need to worry about Bama unless they hire the current ISU coach (which I don't think they will)

yeah, i have to agree. we have huge ups on the "place to live and raise a family" front. Nebraska consistently rated at the top of the united states in this category. not the big city or recruiting mecca, which will probably always remain in the downsides of living here, but honestly, who cares when you can enjoy runza at any time of year? and football. lol 

My gut feel tells me that hoiberg is NO sure thing at this point... but that this is his ideal fit and that a hire of the mayor is so possible, even likely. But my opinion matters not. We'll hopefully know in the next week to month. any longer than a few days or week is pure torture (esp for husker fans! are you kidding me? we're nuts! but not the craziest of all fanbases)

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

Just fyi. Hank was not "president of UNL" closest to that would be Ronnie Green as chancellor. Hank was over the NU systems... all the campuses. I can't even name the guy before him... unless is was smith something or other.