Fred Hoiberg

6 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Boy, you guys better hope that Moos gets Hoiberg. Some of you will be so pissed. And then you guys can go back in to the closet.

It's a win-win for them with Hoiberg. If he succeeds, they're self-proclaimed geniuses because they knew a guy who knows a guy that Hoiberg is coming here (not really sure how that affects anything, but so be it). And if Hoiberg comes here and can't elevate the program, they know that the majority of people on this board will support the coach until the very end, so they won't get a taste of their own medicine that they've been dishing out to some people on this board for the past month.

1 hour ago, HuskerND said:

Miles played in the post season 3 out of 7 years (2 NITs, 1 NCAA), finished 4th in the Big 10 twice in 7 years.

Bold Prediction: IF Hoiberg stays 7 years, he WILL NOT accomplish the same, and it WON'T be his fault. 

NU, as great and passionate as it is, is NOT a perenial basketball power.  You do not have to submit to what you've always been, but you have to accept who you are in the landscape of college basketball.

Such a losers attitude.  Might as well drop the basketball program and add hockey. 

If we land Hoiberg it will arguably be the best coaching hire in college basketball this offseason.  The positive press from a national standpoint will be huge. There is no guarantee it makes us into a bonafide winner but it’s the best chance we got. 

43 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Boy, you guys better hope that Moos gets Hoiberg. Some of you will be so pissed. And then you guys can go back in to the closet.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Correction....everybody should be hoping we get Hoiberg. For those worried about going the mid major route and of a long rebuild Hoiberg is by far our best chance to make this a smooth transition as possible. 

Miles walked into a horrid situation seven years ago.  Just look at that roster if you need a reminder.  Even with the large senior class leaving, he is leaving the program in much better shape than he found it, especially if Roby comes back for his senior season.

if Fred accomplishes less after 7 seasons, it is pretty much a disaster.

1 hour ago, DOATHLON said:

College basketball is the easiest sport to win in and it can be done the fastest because you only play with 5 players at a time. Nebraska has NEVER had a coach with a P5 resume like Fred. Never. Like never, ever. This is uncharted territory. 

College basketball also is the easiest to see your season flip.  Unlike football, you lose 1-2 guys in basketball (we lost 6 including redshirts) and you are in world of hurt.  

Sure you only play with 5 but you only get 13 scholarships so you lose nearly 8% of your scholarship players every time you lose one.  In football you get 85 scholarships and lose 1.1% every injured player.  Could you imagine if a football team lost 39 guys to redshirt/injury/suspension?  That’s the equivalent of what happened to us with basketball.

Just now, Klas3131 said:

Have seen some other boards saying that "Hoiberg turned down Nebraska this morning".  Now, I have no idea where these "posters" are getting their information.  Has anyone here heard anything?  

I wouldn’t worry too much about it until something actually happens.  Don’t 100% believe Hoiberg to Nebraska is a done deal, but don’t 100% believe it isn’t.

If what I've heard is true, we're about to bring in a coach and pay him nearly $30 million over the next 7 years.

With that context in mind, I just shake my head at the collective, anguished howling that went up in some corners of the Husker hoops world when Doc Sadler got a raise to $900,000/year and a 2-year extension before he was ultimately terminated, resulting in a buyout of ... significantly less than the amount of one year's pay for our next coach.

It seems like it's always the same people who want the current coach to be fired. Those people who were bitching about the cost of Doc's buyout (probably the same folks who're excited as little school girls over the next hire) are going to be a little conflicted if the other rumor is true about Doc returning. Sounds like we're going to be paying him about as much to be an assistant as we paid him when he was the head guy.

Doc Sadler was a frickin' bargain, you numbskulls.

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

If what I've heard is true, we're about to bring in a coach and pay him nearly $30 million over the next 7 years.

With that context in mind, I just shake my head at the collective, anguished howling that went up in some corners of the Husker hoops world when Doc Sadler got a raise to $900,000/year and a 2-year extension before he was ultimately terminated, resulting in a buyout of ... significantly less than the amount of one year's pay for our next coach.

It seems like it's always the same people who want the current coach to be fired. Those people who were bitching about the cost of Doc's buyout (probably the same folks who're excited as little school girls over the next hire) are going to be a little conflicted if the other rumor is true about Doc returning. Sounds like we're going to be paying him about as much to be an assistant as we paid him when he was the head guy.

Doc Sadler was a frickin' bargain, you numbskulls.

This new coach won't be held to the same level of expectations that Doc was held at. I hope he can deliver, because success won't be praised...it will be expected by this fanbase 

6 minutes ago, Klas3131 said:

Have seen some other boards saying that "Hoiberg turned down Nebraska this morning".  Now, I have no idea where these "posters" are getting their information.  Has anyone here heard anything?  

Seems like an opportune day to make such a post

1 hour ago, MichHusker said:

Then why even try? The college basketball landscape changes all the time. Maybe the top 1% like duke and NC will always be there, but it’s pretty fluid. For 20 years Virginia was an average at best team. Now they are consistently one of the best in the country under Tony Bennett. You have teams like Mississippi State, Kansas State,  Virginia Tech, Texas Tech, and auburn as high seeds who aren’t traditional powerhouses. The right coach is everything 

I agree the right coach can make a significant impact. But if we use your logic, I would interpret you to be saying that Nebraska has never had the right coach? Given that they've never been a perennial top 25 team, or never won a tournament game.

There have been some really good coaches come through the system, but if the measure is at some point being a high seed in the tournament, heaven forbid winning a game in the tournament which the program is never done in its history, I refuse to believe a coach changes that.  And if you're telling me the right coach changes that, then the opposite is also true, that you've never had the right coach.

10 minutes ago, HuskerND said:

I agree the right coach can make a significant impact. But if we use your logic, I would interpret you to be saying that Nebraska has never had the right coach? Given that they've never been a perennial top 25 team, or never won a tournament game.

There have been some really good coaches come through the system, but if the measure is at some point being a high seed in the tournament, heaven forbid winning a game in the tournament which the program is never done in its history, I refuse to believe a coach changes that.  And if you're telling me the right coach changes that, then the opposite is also true, that you've never had the right coach.

Nebraska hasn’t had the right coach, at least not to my standards and probably several others on this board. Miles was close,SO VERY CLOSE. He took us from the garbage heap to the front door. A guy like Hoiberg with his resúme very likely could be the guy to bust through the door into the NCAA’s on a consistent basis

Edited by MichHusker

14 minutes ago, HuskerND said:

I think a good goal is winning an NCAA game. In the past we've never hired a coach that really had any NCAA tournament success before & after their time at Nebraska. So I think it's not an insane argument to say we've never hired a coach capable of NCAA tournament success. The one way to find out is to actually hire someone with NCAA tournament success and see if they can duplicate it here. 

Edited by The Polish Rifle
Monday Morning Spelling

14 minutes ago, HuskerND said:

You refuse to believe a coach can win a NCAA tournament game here just because nobody else has....???  I’m not sure if I’m reading your post correctly. 

So again, what’s the point even having a basketball program outside of it bringing in some cash and being a hold over until spring football starts? Let’s go down your route and cut Miles paycheck in half instead of possibly landing a guy who has been there done that already. 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

6 minutes ago, HuskerND said:

When you hire coaches for the last 33 years with resumes like 1-2 in the NCAA tournament (having coached DI for 6 years), 0-3 (11 years), 0-1 (2 years), and 0-1 (5 years), you get what you pay for.

That resulted in these coaches performing at Nebraska: 0-5 (14 years), 0-0 (6 years), 0-0 (6 years), and 0-1 (7 years).

If the rumors are true, we would be hiring a coach with the resume of 4-4, compared to our 0-5 coaches over 18 years of coaching.

2 minutes ago, GATA said:

While we await the guillotine, I maintain Miles absolutely was the right coach at the time. It didn’t work out as well as it appeared it would, but I wouldn’t call the hire a failure. 

He he was a couple of bad breaks away from three tournament appearances. He helped formulate a plan to make the Vault a true home court advantage with the placement of the student section. 

Maybe Miles doesn’t deserve a ton of credit for fan support to many, but he gets it from a marketing aspect. I think he helped turn the program into one good enough to attract the attention of Hoiberg, who can be picky about his next job. 

Instead of piling more dirt on Miles, I choose to be thankful for his contribution for elevating the program. 

Without the success Miles had we would be in no position to get someone like a Hoiberg, even with his ties. Miles did a ton of good, and I’m sad to see it not work out in the end because he’s a hell of a good dude. 

1 hour ago, DOATHLON said:

College basketball is the easiest sport to win in and it can be done the fastest because you only play with 5 players at a time. Nebraska has NEVER had a coach with a P5 resume like Fred. Never. Like never, ever. This is uncharted territory. 

Do not try to explain that only 5 guys playing makes it easier to recover.  When I tried that, I got lynched for some reason.  

6 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Just because we have never done something, doesn't mean our goals should not be high.  We should be a top 32 or so program.  32 teams win a game every year(plus play ins).  We should be winning a tourney game every three years at worst, with the occasional deeper run.  

How many programs can expect to do that? I’m sure there are 50 fan bases that would say the same. 

7 minutes ago, GATA said:

How many programs can expect to do that? I’m sure there are 50 fan bases that would say the same. 

Yeah so you probably have 20 teams that think they should win one every year.

Then 50 that think they should win every three.

You are saying we can't be a top 70 program out of what over 300?

9 minutes ago, GATA said:

50 schools sounds about right as for expectations of having a top 32ish program.  There is room for about 50 schools to win a game every three years.