Fred Hoiberg

24 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Seems like this is exactly how the Frost situation played out. While Riley was here, Moos was vetting Frost. Riley was allowed to coach until the teams last game was played. At that point Riley was released. Another example is Wulf at WSU, he was fired the Tuesday after their season ended, Leach was hired a day later (so you know contact was made long before). This kinda seems like par for the course for a Moos coaching change. 

I can buy that Moos might have his "wait until the end of the season" philosophy. It's also easier to fire two coaches that you mentioned who both had a 4-8 record when there is no postseason versus firing Miles who has a postseason. That's the part where it becomes typical behavior to either decline a bid or let the assistants take over the postseason. Not saying Moos' is right, wrong, or indifferent. But it's certainly not standard practice in this industry.

4 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Another case of people "reading what they want to read."  This is 100% what @Norm Peterson didn't say.

He brought up our football I did not... I also didn't mention our past successes or lack there of... I would say he was "reading what he want's to read".

I was comparing riley's overall results mostly with Oregon st to Miles overall. How are they much different?

Just now, Raidsker said:

He brought up our football I did not... I also didn't mention our past successes or lack there of... I would say he was "reading what he want's to read".

I was comparing riley's overall results mostly with Oregon st to Miles overall. How are they much different?

21 minutes ago, Raidsker said:

Serious question: Did you also want Riley to stay on as football coach? At this point of their careers how are Riley and Miles much different in their respective sports?

- Both seem to be likable guys

- good with media

- colleagues respect them

- both get some hyped players

- get some decent wins at times or get on some runs

- fall short on results at end of season 

Riley has a slightly better winning percentage career win percent than Miles.  I will say Miles seems to have more passion to win that comes through.

Or are we just the Oregon St of college basketball?

Looks like you were the one to actually bring up football.  Norm responded to that.  Comparing Miles and Riley is like apples and oranges.  Sure... they are both fruit... but that's about the only common thing you can compare.  

11 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I can buy that Moos might have his "wait until the end of the season" philosophy. It's also easier to fire two coaches that you mentioned who both had a 4-8 record when there is no postseason versus firing Miles who has a postseason. That's the part where it becomes typical behavior to either decline a bid or let the assistants take over the postseason. Not saying Moos' is right, wrong, or indifferent. But it's certainly not standard practice in this industry.

It's a little odd. But at this point is it really too different then say Michael Lewis taking this team into the NIT? Assuming Moos told Miles his fate (I have no idea on this), I think it would speak highly of both Moos & Miles - the easy way out for Moos is ejecting Miles ASAP and not muddying this up. The easy route for Miles is leaving and starting fresh. If Moos told Miles he could coach this season out, and if Miles decided to take these kids as far as he could, well, good on both of them.

1 hour ago, Raidsker said:

So you are going with fine being oregon st of basketball... noted.

Is that what I said? I don't think that's what I said.  That's really not what I said.

You're taking a snapshot at a moment in time and expecting a guy with a 9-iron to hit the ball as far as a guy swinging a driver.  If they hit the ball the same distance, and the guy with the driver is underperforming, does that mean the guy with the 9-iron is also underperforming?

In your world, apparently it does.

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

Looks like you were the one to actually bring up football.  Norm responded to that.  Comparing Miles and Riley is like apples and oranges.  Sure... they are both fruit... but that's about the only common thing you can compare.  

I didn't bring up OUR football past but oregon st's football success or lack there of, and comparing the success of coaches across sports.  Yes there could a discussion around the validity of such a comparison across sports but I think the two programs offer a good parallel.

My main realization was Miles has a worse winning percentage than Riley at Oregon state and there are people that are fine with that for the fleeting moments of success and because they like his personality.

The flip side is Oregon state was best at football when they found a different coach then reverted eventually when Riley came back.

11 minutes ago, Raidsker said:

My main realization was Miles has a worse winning percentage than Riley at Oregon state and there are people that are fine with that for the fleeting moments of success and because they like his personality.

It's also easier to get a 0.500+ season in football than it is in basketball.

# of 0.500+ teams in FBS football last season: 79 (62% of teams)

# of 0.500+ teams in Div I basketball last season: 197 (56% of teams)

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

That's fair. I did ask the two questions in the initial response - my sandwich was burning on some of these. :) 

But Norms response was to say we are more successful over 30 years at football so we should have higher expectations for our football while implying basketball has not had that success so we should have lower expectations.

To me this is being the oregon st of basketball so that is what I took him to say. 

Otherwise why would he ask me to compare the success across sports?

If not what did you take being the oregon st of basketball to mean?  

1 minute ago, HuskerFever said:

It's also easier to get a 0.500+ season in football than it is in basketball.

# of 0.500+ teams in FBS football last season: 79 (62% of teams)

# of 0.500+ teams in Div I basketball last season: 197 (56% of teams)

Ok. Riley is slightly better too right?  So they are pretty good comparison is what you are saying?

1 hour ago, Red Don said:

After five pages of this I"m so image.png.    I just don't know exactly What I'm supposed to be Outraged about!  :Redface:

Guess I'll just have to wait until next week to get 'Outraged!'  (or the week after?) :Lol: 

Carry a swash of Outrage in your back pocket, then it's always accessible..... like a handkerchief. ?

2 hours ago, Raidsker said:

That's fair. I did ask the two questions in the initial response - my sandwich was burning on some of these. :) 

But Norms response was to say we are more successful over 30 years at football so we should have higher expectations for our football while implying basketball has not had that success so we should have lower expectations.

To me this is being the oregon st of basketball so that is what I took him to say. 

Otherwise why would he ask me to compare the success across sports?

If not what did you take being the oregon st of basketball to mean?  

Being in the Pacific Northwest, the Mike Riley comparison is an obvious one, albeit football. Based in the same state, the Moos-loved Ernie Kent comparison could be made here, albeit at Oregon & Wazzu. Ughh, this whole thing is a cluster-you-know-what. Why can't it already be the 2019-20 season already when it comes to this particular phase of the coaching carousel?! Albeit, I am really looking forward to sending off the Fab-5 Seniors of Nebrasketball (yeah, I know... not the 'real' Fab-5, but what's a "Magnificent 7" anyway.) in possibly its final game at home !!! GBR !!!

Just now, AuroranHusker said:

Being in the Pacific Northwest, the Mike Riley comparison is an obvious one, albeit football. Based in the same state, the Moos-loved Ernie Kent comparison could be made here, albeit at Oregon & Wazzu. Ughh, this whole thing is a cluster-you-know-what. Why can't it already be the 2019-20 season already when it comes to this particular phase of the coaching carousel?! Albeit, I am really looking forward to sending off the Fab-5 Seniors of Nebrasketball (yeah, I know... not the 'real' Fab-5, but what's a "Magnificent 7" anyway.) in possibly its final game at home !!! GBR !!!

Man, that guy wrote a lot of already's and albeit's. #sheesh

?

Just now, DOATHLON said:

Excited for this season to end and new program to begin. Can’t believe we drew such a bad team like butler. The Big East was a joke this year 

Sorry, but there is nothing "exciting" about this.  There is nothing "exciting" about this season ending.  Being excited for people to lose their jobs, being excited for families to be uprooted, and being excited for families livelihoods to be affected just isn't right.  It's fine to be excited if and when there is a new hire.  It'll be fine to be excited for the future.  But right now, there is nothing "exciting" about what is supposedly about to happen.

5 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Sorry, but there is nothing "exciting" about this.  There is nothing "exciting" about this season ending.  Being excited for people to lose their jobs, being excited for families to be uprooted, and being excited for families livelihoods to be affected just isn't right.  It's fine to be excited if and when there is a new hire.  It'll be fine to be excited for the future.  But right now, there is nothing "exciting" about what is supposedly about to happen.

Goodbyes can be difficult