Fred Hoiberg

5 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Unless you can get someone from either side to collaborate you're just rumor-mongering.

Is this enough corroboration? Chris Heady directly states they have known for months. 

As I reread my original post I realized that I may not have been clear in what I was talking about. I'm referencing the fact that local reporters have known that FH was a legitimate candidate for a while and have sat on that knowledge. 

2 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Is this enough corroboration? Chris Heady directly states they have known for months. 

As I reread my original post I realized that I may not have been clear in what I was talking about. I'm referencing the fact that local reporters have known that FH was a legitimate candidate for a while and have sat on that knowledge. 

I don't know that it's fair to say "sat on that knowledge" because that implies deliberately suppressing information that public would want to know.  

Unlike message board posters, the news guys have like some sort of duty to not engage in rumor mongering and not report something unless they can verify, generally from more than one source.

LJS got burned on this when Frank Solich got fired.  John Mabry wrote a "poor us" column complaining that they were forced to jump the gun because all of us message board heros don't have the same constraints as actual journalists, which allows us to scoop the hard news guys.

Suffice it to say "hearing chatter for months" is not the same thing as having verifiable, credibly-sourced info to run a news story on.

1 minute ago, Ron Mexico said:

We've been talking about it for months, right? People have been talking about this for months. If you count February and March as "months" I've known about it for months.

I suppose that the thing you could complain about would be that no one really dug into it to break it earlier but I don't understand why that at all matters.  If anything I wish it still wasn't broken because how does putting this in the OWH or LJS make it more likely to happen?

33 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Not to be a d**k, but Frost has a 4-8 record at Nebraska & Hoiberg is still just a rumor. As a “get off my lawn” alum, I am SO tired of hearing how the Blackshirts are “back” and Tanner Lee is the next John Elway. Same with Hoops, show me dammit, show me....

Well, Tanner Lee did get drafted into the NFL..... the first NU QB in a very, very long time. But, yeah, I do get your overall point Handy!

1 hour ago, Marv said:

Actually it sounds like Tim knew exactly what the statement was going to be.  I'm not sure I follow how @KnightHusker thinks this was all part of Miles' master plan to manipulate the admin.?.?

Sipple (on 1620/USC): “Tim knew what the statement was, He knew going into his press conference what that statement said, I know that for a fact.”

I mean, if that's the case, Sipple is calling Heady a liar...

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/husker-a-d-bill-moos-will-wait-until-postseason-fate/article_5e22ad9d-2b0b-5765-9739-ee7cf8cce4ad.html

It's probably somewhere in the middle (i.e. what @Norm Peterson said -- Miles may have gotten a heads up at some point of what it might say, but didn't know for sure and therefore couldn't be quoted on its contents, and likely didn't know what it was when he was directly asked) but I tend to believe more from Heady, who was physically there, spoke with several people, and reported on what he saw and was told as a first-person account, over Sipple, the AD's lapdog.

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

Not to be a d**k, but Frost has a 4-8 record at Nebraska & Hoiberg is still just a rumor. As a “get off my lawn” alum, I am SO tired of hearing how the Blackshirts are “back” and Tanner Lee is the next John Elway. Same with Hoops, show me dammit, show me....

It's much harder to get disappointed when you have:

1*4VRwEx9S6bJkW3EBuSbcow.gif

2 hours ago, jimmykc said:

On a more serious note, I have reached a personal conclusion that if Hoiberg does not come, a long-term Miles would be the only acceptable alternative. A perusal of the latest coaching carousel reveals only two possibilities which would be able to surpass UNL in attractiveness to Fred. Texas A&M has more money and a better recent basketball record and recruiting base. But it is still a "football school" and well, it is in College Station Texas. UCLA has the history, money, and location but has been the graveyard of coaches not named Wooden. Thank goodness Hoiberg is a Midwestern guy with Lincoln ties. I would think we have a bona fide shot to get him. So let's just get on with it, one way or the other.

Miles getting a long term contact is not an option at this point.  He will be let go regardless of what they do in the NIT.  We will have a new coach new year whether that be Hoiberg or a different coach.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I don't know that it's fair to say "sat on that knowledge" because that implies deliberately suppressing information that public would want to know.  

Unlike message board posters, the news guys have like some sort of duty to not engage in rumor mongering and not report something unless they can verify, generally from more than one source.

LJS got burned on this when Frank Solich got fired.  John Mabry wrote a "poor us" column complaining that they were forced to jump the gun because all of us message board heros don't have the same constraints as actual journalists, which allows us to scoop the hard news guys.

Suffice it to say "hearing chatter for months" is not the same thing as having verifiable, credibly-sourced info to run a news story on.

I agree with everything you’ve said here, but it certainly did stop the “Moos has a drinking problem” rumors fom hitting the papers and airwaves.

4 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

What if Miles requested to coach this season out? 

3 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

In fairness to the players and giving them the best chance at success in the NIT rather than firing their coach right before the start of their post season play. 

This would certainly be out of the norm, but nice of Moos to do so if that were the case. It also makes me wonder what kind of agreement Moos supposedly has with his future coaching prospect(s) while this tournament is going on.

3 hours ago, NWUhusker said:

I agree with this.  Also, Hoiberg could be seeing an opportunity.  Imagine being the coach that made Nebraska competitive in the Big Ten.  I think there are some coaches that see what Miles did here and think that they can make the next step. 

Where else could Hoiberg go and simply win one NCAA tournament game and become a legend?

14 minutes ago, tjp21 said:

I agree with everything you’ve said here, but it certainly did stop the “Moos has a drinking problem” rumors fom hitting the papers and airwaves.

This is the exact same deal as Hoiberg;  there was "buzz" about this for months (you saw it on this forum) and that was it.  Then for whatever reason it got enough traction for the the OWH/LJS to investigate and they got enough from whomever they talk to in order to ask the university. (sports talk radio is it's own thing ) The university said there is nothing to it and here we are.  If Hoiberg doesn't end up here, does that all the sudden make yesterday's reporting invalid?  To me, both of these things are pretty consistent in how they were approached and if you think one is less valid than the other because one makes the university or a person look bad then you're echoing the disconnect of today's society with what journalism should be. 

19 minutes ago, tjp21 said:

That rumor was/is pretty despicable. 

For purpose of clarification are you saying that it is uncoincidentally convenient that the press rumor replaced this rumor and it was somehow started to stop the rumor you stated above?

5 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

This would certainly be out of the norm, but nice of Moos to do so if that were the case. It also makes me wonder what kind of agreement Moos supposedly has with his future coaching prospect(s) while this tournament is going on.

Seems like this is exactly how the Frost situation played out. While Riley was here, Moos was vetting Frost. Riley was allowed to coach until the teams last game was played. At that point Riley was released. Another example is Wulf at WSU, he was fired the Tuesday after their season ended, Leach was hired a day later (so you know contact was made long before). This kinda seems like par for the course for a Moos coaching change. 

3 hours ago, jimmykc said:

On a more serious note, I have reached a personal conclusion that if Hoiberg does not come, a long-term Miles would be the only acceptable alternative. 

Serious question: Did you also want Riley to stay on as football coach? At this point of their careers how are Riley and Miles much different in their respective sports?

- Both seem to be likable guys

- good with media

- colleagues respect them

- both get some hyped players

- get some decent wins at times or get on some runs

- fall short on results at end of season 

Riley has a slightly better winning percentage career win percent than Miles.  I will say Miles seems to have more passion to win that comes through.

Or are we just the Oregon St of college basketball?

1 minute ago, Raidsker said:

Serious question: Did you also want Riley to stay on as football coach? At this point of their careers how are Riley and Miles much different in their respective sports?

- Both seem to be likable guys

- good with media

- colleagues respect them

- both get some hyped players

- get some decent wins at times or get on some runs

- fall short on results at end of season 

Riley has a slightly better winning percentage career win percent than Miles.  I will say Miles seems to have more passion to win that comes through.

Or are we just the Oregon St of college basketball?

How many times in the last 30 years has Nebraska football played for: a national title?; a conference championship?; reached the post-season; finished in the bottom 1/3 of the league?

Now ask yourself the same questions about Nebraska basketball. After you do that, tell me how you can make any meaningful comparison between Tim Miles and Mike Riley.

1 minute ago, Norm Peterson said:

How many times in the last 30 years has Nebraska football played for: a national title?; a conference championship?; reached the post-season; finished in the bottom 1/3 of the league?

Now ask yourself the same questions about Nebraska basketball. After you do that, tell me how you can make any meaningful comparison between Tim Miles and Mike Riley.

So you are going with fine being oregon st of basketball... noted.

8 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

That rumor was/is pretty despicable. 

For purpose of clarification are you saying that it is uncoincidentally convenient that the press rumor replaced this rumor and it was somehow started to stop the rumor you stated above?

No.  Not at all. I was completely against that sort of thing getting airtime (Moos drinking rumor). It serves no purpose other than to damage or stir things up and it’s typically leaked by someone with an agenda. 

You could also argue the Hoiberg leak hitting the press is meant to harm the AD by setting the bar high.  If Hoiberg isn’t the guy it makes it look like you failed even if you find another great candidate.  So no, I wouldn’t be in the camp to think this came out to save face for the AD. I wish it wouldn’t have. There’s really nothing beneficial to it coming out right now.