Fred Hoiberg

2 minutes ago, Minnesota_Husker said:

I don’t have any inside sources.

But if Hoiberg was trying to use this leak as leverage one job could be with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

I know Glen Taylor has been in contact with him or at least that is the rumor up here. It’s well known how Fred feels about recruiting but his last NBA stint wasn’t great.

I sure hope he picks the Huskers but the wolves might get nervous and move past Ryan Saunders as an interim and just hire Fred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I often wonder if Chicago's pay-out to move Freddy out of the Windy City might preclude Hoiberg from taking another NBA gig for a while. The Mayor received $25M for going 115-155 there. Interesting to note that Fred also had 115 wins at ISU in 171 games; and, now, Tim Miles has 115 wins in 228 games. It doesn't mean much, it's just an interesting tidbit, if you will, a string of 115's.

5 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

I often wonder if Chicago's pay-out to move Freddy out of the Windy City might preclude Hoiberg from taking another NBA gig for a while. The Mayor received $25M for going 115-155 there. Interesting to note that Fred also had 115 wins at ISU in 171 games; and, now, Tim Miles has 115 wins in 228 games. It doesn't mean much, it's just an interesting tidbit, if you will, a string of 115's.

Hoiberg was replaced in Chicago by Jim Boylen.  While at Colorado State, Tim Miles won his last 4 games against Boylen's Utah Utes.

Another useless tidbit.

3 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Funny: and I had not seen this before. Definitely more moves than Tim's latest efforts although the pratfall did demonstrate his ability to land on his feet. 

I had forgotten it was Hoiberg and Jaime Dixon. I did remember the Fran rip-off-the-pants part.

I do think Nebraska is probably the most attractive job (or at least as attractive) that Hoiberg would consider.  

His kids are in school in the Midwest, his family is from Nebraska and Iowa....

He has already made a boat load of money, so as long as the money is competitive, that probably isn't an issue.

If he goes to Nebraska, the leash will be longer than a school that is more of a blueblood.

Lots to like in taking the Nebraska job.

On a more serious note, I have reached a personal conclusion that if Hoiberg does not come, a long-term Miles would be the only acceptable alternative. A perusal of the latest coaching carousel reveals only two possibilities which would be able to surpass UNL in attractiveness to Fred. Texas A&M has more money and a better recent basketball record and recruiting base. But it is still a "football school" and well, it is in College Station Texas. UCLA has the history, money, and location but has been the graveyard of coaches not named Wooden. Thank goodness Hoiberg is a Midwestern guy with Lincoln ties. I would think we have a bona fide shot to get him. So let's just get on with it, one way or the other.

12 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

i'm worried that hoiberg is using us as leverage for another job. typically when something like this gets leaked, it means the candidate is trying to leverage something.

i really hope i'm wrong, but it's just strange that this would leak out.

Don't take this the wrong way because I'm not trying to be a dick here, but that theory doesn't make a lot of sense.

It's one thing for a guy who already has a job to leverage an offer to get a better deal from his current school.  But that's not what we have here.  I suppose there's some possibility of trying to get two schools into a bidding war, but if Hoiberg's agent was trying to do that, they would have tried to fan the UCLA flame a bit.  If anything, the UCLA angle was tamped down.

So, I don't see some opportunity to use this offer as leverage.  Assuming there has been an offer, which seems a reasonable assumption.

2 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

I do think Nebraska is probably the most attractive job (or at least as attractive) that Hoiberg would consider.  

He has already made a boat load of money, so as long as the money is competitive, that probably isn't an issue.

If he goes to Nebraska, the leash will be longer than a school that is more of a blueblood.

I agree with this.  Also, Hoiberg could be seeing an opportunity.  Imagine being the coach that made Nebraska competitive in the Big Ten.  I think there are some coaches that see what Miles did here and think that they can make the next step. 

13 hours ago, KnightHusker said:

That was told to us by whom?

I don't know. Go back and look at the threads at the time.  Or the sportswriters who were tweeting about it.  They reported that Miles understood Moos was releasing a statement in 45 minutes (from the time they talked to Miles) and that Miles wasn't sure the content of the statement but thought it would say something to the effect that any announcement of any decision regarding Miles' tenure would not be made until after the NIT selection show.  And lo and behold, Moos released a statement about 45 minutes later saying basically exactly what Miles said he thought the statement was going to say.  It seems evident someone -- either Moos or perhaps Boehm -- told Miles a statement on his status would be released and gave him a rough idea of what the statement was going to say.  That doesn't sound to me like Miles forced Moos into a corner on this.

11 hours ago, HoiBall said:

Curious...Frost and Hoiberg. Does Nebraska have the best duo of coaches in the country? Maybe Beilein and Harbaugh or Izzo and Dantonio. That’s all I can come up with.

Curious, is Hoiberg Nebraska's coach already? Might want to wait until those chickens are hatched. I know you're confident about this, and you may have reason to be, but unless you've seen the papers and they've been signed, sealed and delivered, a lot can happen between now and … whenever the press conference occurs announcing who will be coaching us next year.

13 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

No. They were told Moos would make an announcement. They weren’t told exactly what it would say, but something along the lines of what it said.

Actually it sounds like Tim knew exactly what the statement was going to be.  I'm not sure I follow how @KnightHusker thinks this was all part of Miles' master plan to manipulate the admin.?.?

Sipple (on 1620/USC): “Tim knew what the statement was, He knew going into his press conference what that statement said, I know that for a fact.”

Just now, Norm Peterson said:

Curious, is Hoiberg Nebraska's coach already? Might want to wait until those chickens are hatched. I know you're confident about this, and you may have reason to be, but unless you've seen the papers and they've been signed, sealed and delivered, a lot can happen between now and … whenever the press conference occurs announcing who will be coaching us next year.

Oh I am in no way saying this is a done deal. I guess I was more or less putting out the hypothetical that if we have those two do we have the best duo of coaches in the country. I know exactly how these things go and trust me, I am not saying this is done. I would say everyone here needs to hope Arizona keeps Sean Miller

3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

That doesn't sound to me like Miles forced Moos into a corner on this.

Making an announcement that you're going to make an announcement that nothing has changed is basically self-owning yourself for no reason other than being bad at PR.  Forgot Jack Riggins...get someone from Swanson Russell or Bailey Lauerman to come in and donate some time.

21 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

I could see his initial contract being 7 yrs.

If what I'm hearing is true then Nebraska is going all out on this hire, everything for pay for assistance to additional resources.. This is a Home Run Hire in the truest sense. Will have to give an assist to TO for sure, and I have a sneaking suspicion that Barry Collier played a role, maybe not directly, but he might have provided counsel. Remember local fish wrap hacks have been sitting on this for a looong time.

If this does happen, then those of you who don't like Moos and want him gone can give up that ghost. The only way Moos would leave would be of his own accord.

On a side note, Moos being here long term will help clean out the riff raff from the Eichorst era that is still sucking at the tit of Nebraska and sowing seeds of discord in the AD.

11 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Remember local fish wrap hacks have been sitting on this for a looong time.

Unless you can get someone from either side to collaborate you're just rumor-mongering.

13 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

I could see his initial contract being 7 yrs.

That's how long it was for Miles. 5,6,7,8 whatever is pretty irrelevant here though. It's the buyout amount from Fred's side that matters.  It was low when he signed with Iowa St. so he could leave at any time to go to the NBA.

11 hours ago, HoiBall said:

Curious...Frost and Hoiberg. Does Nebraska have the best duo of coaches in the country? Maybe Beilein and Harbaugh or Izzo and Dantonio. That’s all I can come up with.

Not to be a d**k, but Frost has a 4-8 record at Nebraska & Hoiberg is still just a rumor. As a “get off my lawn” alum, I am SO tired of hearing how the Blackshirts are “back” and Tanner Lee is the next John Elway. Same with Hoops, show me dammit, show me....