Fred Hoiberg

6 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Sorry, but there is nothing "exciting" about this.  There is nothing "exciting" about this season ending.  Being excited for people to lose their jobs, being excited for families to be uprooted, and being excited for families livelihoods to be affected just isn't right.  It's fine to be excited if and when there is a new hire.  It'll be fine to be excited for the future.  But right now, there is nothing "exciting" about what is supposedly about to happen.

I doubt anyone is truly *excited in that sense. Some can look past the struggles and see a sense of a "dawn of a new era." I struggle to appreciate what's gone well enough; but I also struggle to see the 'potential' of the new next best thing. Albeit, not ideal in how this has been handled (yeah, i know, "news-flash" Moos sux) -- I do think it is okay to be both pained and yet able to appreciate new life within an athletic program. Transition is always hard, basically on everyone involved: coaches, players, and even fans. Especially fervent supporters like NU's.

1 minute ago, hskr4life said:

I have actually heard some rumblings from south of the border that Hoiberg is expected at KU if Self were to leave.

I have figured for a while now that Self would seek the NBA to get out from under the NCAA/FBI investigation at KU........ c'mon Nebrasketball, get your Freddy on "lock down"!

2 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

I have figured for a while now that Self would seek the NBA to get out from under the NCAA/FBI investigation at KU........ c'mon Nebrasketball, get your Freddy on "lock down"!

I just can’t see the bulls hiring back to back Big 12 coaches...I also don’t see the NCAA cracking down or Self leaving. 

25 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Sorry, but there is nothing "exciting" about this.  There is nothing "exciting" about this season ending.  Being excited for people to lose their jobs, being excited for families to be uprooted, and being excited for families livelihoods to be affected just isn't right.  It's fine to be excited if and when there is a new hire.  It'll be fine to be excited for the future.  But right now, there is nothing "exciting" about what is supposedly about to happen.

Look, I'm the biggest Miles cheerleader there is. I wanted him to win bad. I also get there is a human element to this that completely sucks. There is also a fan element that can can be apart from that. They don't have to be mutually exclusive. I'm excited. There's promise of a new begining. Banners in the rafters. NCAA tourney wins. Hope springs eternal. We can be excited for the future and feel horrible for all the family's and people this affects all at the same time ? 

Just now, cornfed24-7 said:

Look, I'm the biggest Miles cheerleader there is. I wanted him to win bad. I also get there is a human element to this that completely sucks. There is also a fan element that can can be apart from that. They don't have to be mutually exclusive. I'm excited. There's promise of a new begining. Banners in the rafters. NCAA tourney wins. Hope springs eternal. We can be excited for the future and feel horrible for all the family's and people this affects all at the same time ? 

I 100% get that aspect of it.  I too am excited for the future.  Wherever that takes us.  No one wants banners and tourney wins more than me.  However, it was said "Excited for this season to end."  No need for that.  Excited for the future... excited for the prospects of hiring Hoiberg... sure, go ahead and be excited.  However, there is now need to be excited for this season to end... when people might lose their jobs.   

2 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I 100% get that aspect of it.  I too am excited for the future.  Wherever that takes us.  No one wants banners and tourney wins more than me.  However, it was said "Excited for this season to end."  No need for that.  Excited for the future... excited for the prospects of hiring Hoiberg... sure, go ahead and be excited.  However, there is now need to be excited for this season to end... when people might lose their jobs.   

Aw more nuanced then I read into it. I should know better ?

15 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Self wants to leave KU & take over that horses**t Bulls roster? He might want to to chat up Mr Hoiberg to find out that NBA gig isn’t everything it’s cracked up to be...

Actually, the Bulls have a few good pieces, and are primed for some Zion. More than attractive. Almost perfect for a transition to the league because expectations won't be a title like KU is.

49 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I just can’t see the bulls hiring back to back Big 12 coaches...I also don’t see the NCAA cracking down or Self leaving. 

I think Nebraska has several things going for it in comparison to Kansas:

1). I don't believe Hoiberg would be super excited to coach against his Alma mater 2-3 times a year.

2). No one knows for sure if the NCAA is going to drop the hammer on Kansas or any other school connected to the FBI case.  For that matter, I don't believe Kansas has been explicitly linked but there is a lot of smoke there and Self leaving only creates more questions.

3). Expectations are much lower here.  If Hoiberg wins 1 game in the tournament each of the next three years at Nebraska, he would be a hero.  At Kansas, he would be disappointing and on the hot seat.

Nebraska is a good job.  It's not impossible to win here and if Miles isn't retained, we would be as lucky to land Hoiberg as he would be to find a job like Nebraska.

16 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

I think Nebraska has several things going for it in comparison to Kansas:

1). I don't believe Hoiberg would be super excited to coach against his Alma mater 2-3 times a year.

2). No one knows for sure if the NCAA is going to drop the hammer on Kansas or any other school connected to the FBI case.  For that matter, I don't believe Kansas has been explicitly linked but there is a lot of smoke there and Self leaving only creates more questions.

3). Expectations are much lower here.  If Hoiberg wins 1 game in the tournament each of the next three years at Nebraska, he would be a hero.  At Kansas, he would be disappointing and on the hot seat.

Nebraska is a good job.  It's not impossible to win here and if Miles isn't retained, we would be as lucky to land Hoiberg as he would be to find a job like Nebraska.

In my opinion, only #2 would matter to him. But that's a BIG #2. Enough to keep him out before the #2 drops.

Fred is not going to KU for two reasons.

1.) They are Iowa States primary rival in the Big 12 and he is not going to face his old school twice a year.

2.) They are about to get obliterated by the NCAA. I have it on good authority that the NCAA is going to make an example of Kansas and really do some damage to their basketball program. Not a situation Fred wants to step into.

17 minutes ago, HoiBall said:

1.) They are Iowa States primary rival in the Big 12 and he is not going to face his old school twice a year.

2.) They are about to get obliterated by the NCAA. I have it on good authority that the NCAA is going to make an example of Kansas and really do some damage to their basketball program. Not a situation Fred wants to step into.

You'd get a lot more up votes if you mentioned that a different blue team was about to become the NCAA's favorite target.

37 minutes ago, HoiBall said:

It wouldn't shock me if that didn't happen, the NCAA might kill the chicken to scare the monkey.  Or in this case, kill the bluejay.

44 minutes ago, HoiBall said:

1A) Bill Self isn't leaving KU. 

41 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

can hoiberg even sign any sort of letter of intent given that miles is still the coach?

if this is all verbal, then this could easily fall apart. there could be more big jobs opening up soon.

i'd still like to know who leaked the hoiberg information to Goodman and why they did it. 

something doesn't add up to me.

There is a Morandum of Understanding that could be signed. While not as binding as an actual contract it is more binding than a handshake. Parties can and have sued for damages based on broken MOUs. I have used them as a hiring tool - in a very different field - with good results. Better legal minds than I would certainly know more about their value in this situation.