Fred Hoiberg

On 3/24/2019 at 11:54 PM, Shawn Eichorst's Toupee said:

Especially Painter? I dunno about that one... He's taken Purdue to 3 straight Sweet 16s and has finished in the top 4 of the Big Ten in 10/15 seasons. 

Also, I'm not entirely sure why nearing retirement would discount coaches from being on a Top Ten list. If we want to do Top Ten Coaches Who Will Still Be Coaching in 2025, we can. It's just not the list I was making.

Not to say I told you so buuuuuut... 1111447945977585667https://twitter.com/mgiannotto/status/1111447945977585667

Edited by Shawn Eichorst's Toupee

Not sure this needed a separate thread so I'll just put it here. Sipple column in LJS this morning sort of gives rationale for why Lue may not fit in with Moos' criteria. Pretty much BS stuff, but as non-official spokesman for UNL, it is certainly not a ringing endorsement by Sip. And for those who read the editorial page, the LJS board of editors gave a nice sendoff to Tim Miles today. 

So should i be cheering for a Sparty loss tn? If that happens is he announced on Monday? (If he is the next HC)

Seems like the deeper Mich St goes the more time other teams have to contact Thomas Allen and talk to our current commits, more time for Roby to lean towards the draft over a senior year, etc.

Edited by khoock

Realistically, Michigan State's performance in the tournament should have no bearing to when a coaching announcement is made. Regardless, it would be a shame if Moos doesn't lock down a coach before the Final Four, because that would be a missed opportunity with all of those coaches networking events and meetups.

22 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Realistically, Michigan State's performance in the tournament should have no bearing to when a coaching announcement is made. Regardless, it would be a shame if Moos doesn't lock down a coach before the Final Four, because that would be a missed opportunity with all of those coaches networking events and meetups.

He will. Might even be today. Announcement. 

42 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Couldn’t Hoiberg do all of those things without an official announcement, basically telling everyone that “I’m the coach but we’re keeping it quiet until my son is done.”

45 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Timing is huge, I think that is why we're waiting. It serves two purposes, one Hoiberg can enjoy a weekend with his family without being "New Nebraska HC", but also we get more bang for our buck with an announcement right before Final 4 festivities get kicked off. While Nate Oats to Bama will be second page news, Hoiberg to Nebraska would be one of the big storylines at the Final 4. 

But you're right in the sense that you don't want to wait until AFTER the final 4. I think Moos gets it right though, his timing has been thoughtful and well executed these last few weeks. He's had his ducks in a row. 

3 minutes ago, Klas3131 said:

I find it a bit odd too.  I love the fact Fred wants to follow his son's team, but it's not like Jack plays.  He played the last 14 seconds last Saturday in a mop up role.

Maybe he doesn't think it is right to wear Michigan St. gear as our coach.  I wouldn't have a problem with it under the circumstances.  

16 minutes ago, CornHoopsters said:

If it is Hoiberg, and I believe it is, how much work behind the scenes do you think he's doing with potential recruits or current commits/current rosters players? If it is going on those guys are keeping pretty tight-lipped.

I can’t recall where I read/heard (maybe Gaskins interviewing Gary Sharp), but supposedly Hoiberg has already reached out to potential recruits.