Fred Hoiberg

Iowa St assistants under Hoiberg

Matt Abdelmassih 2010-15 – Currently an assistant coach at St Johns, his alma mater. Met Hoiberg when they both worked for the Timberwolves.

T.J. Otzelberger 2010-13 – Currently the head coach of South Dakota St (maybe UNLV). Was a carry over from previous Iowa St coach Greg McDermott's staff

Bobby Lutz - 2010-2011 - Currently unemployed. Was coming off 12 years as Charlotte's coach before moving to Mark Gottfried's staff at NC State

Cornell Mann 2011-15 – Currently an assistant at Missouri. Was recommended as a coach to Hoiberg by former Iowa St assistant Ric Wesley

Doc Sadler 2013-14 – Currently the Head Coach at Southern Mississippi

Charlie Henry 2014-15 – Currently the head coach of the Windy City Bulls, the Bulls G League team. Started as a Director of Player Personnel and was promoted to assistant under Hoiberg. Hoiberg took him along to Chicago as an assistant.

23 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Iowa St assistants under Hoiberg

Matt Abdelmassih 2010-15 – Currently an assistant coach at St Johns, his alma mater. Met Hoiberg when they both worked for the Timberwolves.

Cornell Mann 2010-15 – Currently an assistant at Missouri. Was recommended as a coach to Hoiberg by former Iowa St assistant Ric Wesley

T.J. Otzelberger 2010-13 – Currently the head coach of South Dakota St (maybe UNLV). Was a carry over from previous Iowa St coach Greg McDermott's staff

Doc Sadler 2013-14 – Currently the Head Coach at Southern Mississippi

Charlie Henry 2014-15 – Currently the head coach of the Windy City Bulls, the Bulls G League team. Started as a Director of Player Personnel and was promoted to assistant under Hoiberg. Hoiberg took him along to Chicago as an assistant.

Think Bobby lutz was an assistant for a year under hoiberg too

2 hours ago, GoClones said:

Also having lived in both give me Ames any day of the week ?

Good for you. You're a fan of the Cyclones, that actually makes sense. I have no issue with the 'Clones themselves. I do find it weird that ISU fans calling out Lincoln, NE, so I decided it was worth merely responding to such drivel as a Husker fan... on a Husker board. ?

Edited by AuroranHusker

2 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I mean if Hoiberg liked Ames, I'm sure he would like Lincoln. Just kinda a bigger version of Ames. Probably the one of the reasons Goodman said "Hoiberg feels this job fits him". Honestly there seems to be a lot of parallels between ISU and NU.

Definitely comparable from a university standpoint, but Lincoln is way, way bigger & better now. I think it's rather funny that ISU fans find Ames to be so great yet Lincoln's nothing. Huh, that's make zero sense. Zero. Ames is nothing compared to how nice Lincoln is, in 2019. Maybe they're thinking of Nebraska's capital city in 1998, or somethin'. ?

Edited by AuroranHusker

2 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

Note to self...don't visit Ames.  

Nah, Ames is fine. But it's certainly not the mecca of college hoops like some 'Clones seem to think it is. Hilton Coliseum is like the Devaney, but it's *way* better in Ames according to some 'Clones. Uhh, yeah sure, it's still 1998 to ISU in regards to city comparisons. Whatever. Lincoln's awesome. Ames is fine. Small, quaint but yeah, it's not nearly the city that Lincoln has become in the past 20 years.

Edited by AuroranHusker

2 hours ago, GoClones said:

I'm a CF poster and it's a 50 50 split seems of people still rooting for him and those who want him to fail. I actually grew up in Nebraska and was a Nebraska basketball fan so I dont have the same attachment to him.  I really dont think this will impact ISU.  Unless he changes his approach I dont think we will have too many recruiting battles. Assuming transfers will still be his thing he should look at Cam Lard who is transferring from ISU. Dude is a head case but has serious talent and is a good guy.

Oh, c'mon, you think you're going to come on OUR board and tell us that you grew up in Nebraska and think you're going to get away with that scant little piece of information?

No matter where you grew up in Nebraska, there's probably someone on this board from there who graduated HS +/- 3-4 years from when you did who probably knew one of your siblings or one of their siblings knew you.

This is like "reunion board."  Just ask @jayschool and @colhusker.

28 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Good for you. You're a fan of the Cyclones, that actually makes sense. I have no issue with the 'Clones themselves. I do find it weird that ISU fans calling out Lincoln, NE, so I decided it was worth merely responding to such drivel as a Husker fan... on a Husker board. ?

Honestly it's a silly comparison one is a college town one is a city but no I dont expect any love for Ames here.  Also CF is full of hate for anything not ISU.

24 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Oh, c'mon, you think you're going to come on OUR board and tell us that you grew up in Nebraska and think you're going to get away with that scant little piece of information?

No matter where you grew up in Nebraska, there's probably someone on this board from there who graduated HS +/- 3-4 years from when you did who probably knew one of your siblings or one of their siblings knew you.

This is like "reunion board."  Just ask @jayschool and @colhusker.

Most likely. Lived in Plainview, Lincoln, and Omaha before moving to Iowa. Back in Omaha now.  I've been a long time lurker on this board.

4 minutes ago, GoClones said:

Honestly it's a silly comparison one is a college town one is a city but no I dont expect any love for Ames here.  Also CF is full of hate for anything not ISU.

Gotcha re: CF. Lincoln's a college town 100%. It's a big one, but it's definitely a college town. Omaha is the "Big City" akin to Des Moines for Iowa.

3 minutes ago, GoClones said:

Most likely. Lived in Plainview, Lincoln, and Omaha before moving to Iowa. Back in Omaha now.  I've been a long time lurker on this board.

We are glad to have different perspectives here. Welcome, I guess... since you're *new to posting on HHC, GC.

Edited by AuroranHusker

22 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Gotcha re: CF. Lincoln's a college town 100%. It's a big one, but it's definitely a college town. Omaha is the "Big City" akin to Des Moines for Iowa.

I grew up in Lincoln and live here now but I lived in the Des Moines area for 10 years. It's in between Lincoln and Omaha in it's characteristics and size but it feels closer to Lincoln in my opinion.

I liked Des Moines and would go back gladly if circumstances dictate but I wouldn't move to Ames.

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

Definitely comparable from a university standpoint, but Lincoln is way, way bigger & better now. I think it's rather funny that ISU fans find Ames to be so great yet Lincoln's nothing. Huh, that's make zero sense. Zero. Ames is nothing compared to how nice Lincoln is, in 2019. Maybe they're thinking of Nebraska's capital city in 1998, or somethin'. ?

Or maybe even 1978:o

4 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

I'd have to disagree with this. "College Town" in my definition is a city that wouldn't be able to survive without the university. It's a part of the heart of the city, but a 300K city can survive on its own, and being the capital helps with that (i.e. government). A town like Tuscaloosa is more of a college town in my opinion.

30 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I'd have to disagree with this. "College Town" in my definition is a city that wouldn't be able to survive without the university. It's a part of the heart of the city, but a 300K city can survive on its own, and being the capital helps with that (i.e. government). A town like Tuscaloosa is more of a college town in my opinion.

Well, it wasn't always 300k; it was half that not all that long ago. It's still a college town, in my mind, because the focus is on the Huskers. As you describe it, I do get your point, HF.

Edited by AuroranHusker