Fred Hoiberg

I dont think my expectations are too high. Ive said something along the lines of 2 NCAAs and 2 NITs in 6 year span would be a good place to start. With hopefully that elusive first NCAA win in there.

I think there are alot coaches that I think could do that here, Hoiberg included. Just gotta be able to land one. ?

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

If what I've heard is true, we're about to bring in a coach and pay him nearly $30 million over the next 7 years.

With that context in mind, I just shake my head at the collective, anguished howling that went up in some corners of the Husker hoops world when Doc Sadler got a raise to $900,000/year and a 2-year extension before he was ultimately terminated, resulting in a buyout of ... significantly less than the amount of one year's pay for our next coach.

It seems like it's always the same people who want the current coach to be fired. Those people who were bitching about the cost of Doc's buyout (probably the same folks who're excited as little school girls over the next hire) are going to be a little conflicted if the other rumor is true about Doc returning. Sounds like we're going to be paying him about as much to be an assistant as we paid him when he was the head guy.

Doc Sadler was a frickin' bargain, you numbskulls.

If the rumors are true...we Might end up with Doc Sadler as an assistant and pay him more as an assistant than he was paid as our  head coach...

14 minutes ago, Klas3131 said:

Someone mentioned it on Huskermax.  The other board was actually an Iowa board, so I took that one with a grain of salt.  

Saw someone had posted on Husker Online late last night "Hoiberg is gone".  Don't subscribe, so don't know what he said in the post.  Perhaps someone can inform.

Edited by mwm89

39 minutes ago, khoock said:

I dont think my expectations are too high. Ive said something along the lines of 2 NCAAs and 2 NITs in 6 year span would be a good place to start. With hopefully that elusive first NCAA win in there.

I think there are alot coaches that I think could do that here, Hoiberg included. Just gotta be able to land one. ?

Except then you would keep Miles.  He nearly accomplished that in a 6 year period except for a freak injury to his best player.  He would have 2 NCAA's and 1 NIT in 6 years.

1 hour ago, Raidsker said:

Yeah so you probably have 20 teams that think they should win one every year.

Then 50 that think they should win every three.

You are saying we can't be a top 70 program out of what over 300?

My post was more about the expectation that we should be a top 32 program. As Royal said, there are about 50 program with that expectation, maybe more. 

12 hours ago, Shawn Eichorst's Toupee said:

I'm honestly curious who all is in your Top Ten. Because off the top of my head, I'd take all of these guys over Fred tomorrow (in no particular order):

1. Tony Bennett
  2. John Beilein
  3. Mark Few
  4. Bill Self
  5. Roy Williams
  6. Coach K
  7. Tom Izzo
  8. Jay Wright
  9. Rick Barnes
  10. Matt Painter

In Order:

1. Coach K

2. Jay Wright

3. Bill Self

4. Mark Few

5. Tom Izzo

6. Tony Bennett

7. Roy Williams

8. John Beilein

9. Fred Hoiberg

10. Chris Beard

Fred doesn't have the credentials some do because he's been in college for just 5 years. You put him at a blue blood for 10 years, he makes 2 Final 4's minimum. I don't think people understand what kind of coach he is. He knows X's and O's. His ability to find, develop, and put his players in the best position to succeed is one of the best in the country. He just doesn't have the years of data that everyone else does.

24 minutes ago, HoiBall said:

In Order:

1. Coach K

2. Jay Wright

3. Bill Self

4. Mark Few

5. Tom Izzo

6. Tony Bennett

7. Roy Williams

8. John Beilein

9. Fred Hoiberg

10. Chris Beard

Fred doesn't have the credentials some do because he's been in college for just 5 years. You put him at a blue blood for 10 years, he makes 2 Final 4's minimum. I don't think people understand what kind of coach he is. He knows X's and O's. His ability to find, develop, and put his players in the best position to succeed is one of the best in the country. He just doesn't have the years of data that everyone else does.

Is cheating included as part of the criteria for these lists? I don't think Hoiberg has ever been accused of or connected to any wrong doings. (others on the list, not so much)

4 hours ago, HuskerND said:

Miles played in the post season 3 out of 7 years (2 NITs, 1 NCAA), finished 4th in the Big 10 twice in 7 years.

Bold Prediction: IF Hoiberg stays 7 years, he WILL NOT accomplish the same, and it WON'T be his fault. 

NU, as great and passionate as it is, is NOT a perenial basketball power.  You do not have to submit to what you've always been, but you have to accept who you are in the landscape of college basketball.

Eastern Omaha's basketball squad has a fan here, I see. ?

? ?

1 hour ago, khoock said:

I'd be more in the line of thinking 3 NCAA's & I N.I.T. in about 6-7 years, Hoiberg's potential 1st contract. But multiple Big Dance *wins would be nice, no matter what !!! ?

Edited by AuroranHusker

Just now, HoiBall said:

In Order:

1. Coach K

2. Jay Wright

3. Bill Self

4. Mark Few

5. Tom Izzo

6. Tony Bennett

7. Roy Williams

8. John Beilein

9. Fred Hoiberg

10. Chris Beard

So I guess my question to you would be this...

How can you insinuate that it isn't fair to question his coaching ability based off of 5 years of data, but sit here and insist that he would make 2 Final 4's based off of the same data?

I mean you list Fred above Chris and Chris has an Elite 8 apparence and is currently in the Sweet 16 again in just his third  year.  That doesn't include a Round of 32 with Arkansas Little Rock before that in his other year as a D1 head coach. 

I certainly hope we land the Mayor.  Of course he will now be elected to the position of Mayor of Haymarket.  

That said, I have a question.  Let's say we bring in a coach with a top ten salary.  Would you, the fan, then have an expectation that we would be a consistant top ten team?

I sort of have that expectation for the football team, so I foresee my expectations ramp up exponentially un the near future.  I believe that a fairly consistant expectation this year was to win at least once in the NCAA tourney.  Methinks we fell woefully short.

Edited by Huskerpapa

4 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

With Copeland, I don't think it would have been "woefully". Nevertheless, we did fall short of expectations. I hope HHC has someone checking the passenger list of planes, trains, and automobiles into Lincoln. I think we deserve to be among the first to know about any change in the basketball landscape here.

Image result for oh fo sho gif

I don’t know about the rest of you guys, but i would love to see Doc come back with Fred.  I personally like the guy as he genuinely loved it here.  I remember how anguished he was when he was let go because he so badly wanted to be the coach that broke the NCAA drought for us.  It’d be poetic for him to be on the staff that accomplished that feat.

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

With that context in mind, I just shake my head at the collective, anguished howling that went up in some corners of the Husker hoops world when Doc Sadler got a raise to $900,000/year and a 2-year extension before he was ultimately terminated, resulting in a buyout of ... significantly less than the amount of one year's pay for our next coach.

It seems like it's always the same people who want the current coach to be fired. Those people who were bitching about the cost of Doc's buyout (probably the same folks who're excited as little school girls over the next hire) are going to be a little conflicted if the other rumor is true about Doc returning. Sounds like we're going to be paying him about as much to be an assistant as we paid him when he was the head guy.

Doc Sadler was a frickin' bargain, you numbskulls.

Good Points Norm!      I've always wondered about those who criticized Miles, referencing how much he was being paid.   Like they would be happier if only he were paid less.  :Lol:

15 minutes ago, busticket said:

I don’t know about the rest of you guys, but i would love to see Doc come back with Fred.  I personally like the guy as he genuinely loved it here.  I remember how anguished he was when he was let go because he so badly wanted to be the coach that broke the NCAA drought for us.  It’d be poetic for him to be on the staff that accomplished that feat.

Isn't doc doing well at southern miss?