Fred Hoiberg

12 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I know Miles loves it here, but you have to wonder at what point him and the staff want to be here with the way things have been handled so far by the administration.

If worst comes to worst and Miles is our best option and he wants to take a 1.5 million $ paycut then more power to him. 

6 minutes ago, HoiBall said:

Key words are semantics and formality

Hoiball, since you appear to be pretty 'in the know' on Hoiberg, is there any chance he'd entertain going back to ISU if that job opened up?  I live near Des Moines, and I've heard some say he really didn't enjoy being the coach there due to the fishbowl he was in being "the mayor".  Also, I'v heard he and Pollard didn't get along that well.  Would he go back?  

Also, would Prohm really go to Alabama?  I know he's an alum, but didn't he have an opportunity to go there back in 2015 and turned it down, so Alabama turned to Avery Johnson?  Or is that totally wrong?

Thanks in advance....

Just now, bb33ch said:

Only Nebrasketball would this scenario happen. Having the NIT potentially get in the way of hiring a head coach. This is going to end up with some mid major “up and comer” again won’t it?

See, this is why I feel Moos HAS to have a coach ready to go.  If he doesn't, it doesn't make a lot of sense to let Miles coach in the NIT (unless he plans to retain Miles, which I don't think is happening).  Every day he waits to NOT fire Miles, more jobs open up and we have to fight with more programs for new coaching candidates.  He could have accepted the NIT bid and just had one of the assistants run the team.  

So in my opinion, he simply HAS to have the new coach ready to go the minute the NIT is done for Nebraska.  

4 minutes ago, bb33ch said:

Only Nebrasketball would this scenario happen. Having the NIT potentially get in the way of hiring a head coach. This is going to end up with some mid major “up and comer” again won’t it?

Last season, Georgia lost in the SEC tournament on March 9, fired Mark Fox on March 10, they then declined a NIT bid on March 12, then hired Tom Crean on March 15.

No month long rumors. No extra nonsense. Quick, efficient, and moved on to the next season.

It's out of my control.  We don't even have a job opening at this point to hire Hoiberg or anyone else, so all of this discussion about who will replace a coach that isn't fired yet is quite hypothetical at this point.  So, I'm going to try to not worry about it.  

Having said that, had Houston Nutt gotten on that airplane, he'd have been coaching Nebraska football instead of Bill Callahan.

And that's not entirely a non sequitur if you think about it.

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

It's out of my control.  We don't even have a job opening at this point to hire Hoiberg or anyone else, so all of this discussion about who will replace a coach that isn't fired yet is quite hypothetical at this point.  So, I'm going to try to not worry about it.  

Having said that, had Houston Nutt gotten on that airplane, he'd have been coaching Nebraska football instead of Bill Callahan.

Maybe we should check FlightAware logs for any pending Des Moines=>Lincoln or Chicago=>Lincoln charters.

12 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Last season, Georgia lost in the SEC tournament on March 9, fired Mark Fox on March 10, they then declined a NIT bid on March 12, then hired Tom Crean on March 15.

No month long rumors. No extra nonsense. Quick, efficient, and moved on to the next season.

Ohio St had a similar experience to ours in 1986 and handled it a different way.  By the way, Moe Iba's contract was allowed to run out this same season after leading NU to it's first NCAA tournament.  The Huskers beat Ohio St in the Sun Bowl classic that year.

image.png

Edited by HuskerCager

12 minutes ago, Klas3131 said:

Hoiball, since you appear to be pretty 'in the know' on Hoiberg, is there any chance he'd entertain going back to ISU if that job opened up?  I live near Des Moines, and I've heard some say he really didn't enjoy being the coach there due to the fishbowl he was in being "the mayor".  Also, I'v heard he and Pollard didn't get along that well.  Would he go back?  

Also, would Prohm really go to Alabama?  I know he's an alum, but didn't he have an opportunity to go there back in 2015 and turned it down, so Alabama turned to Avery Johnson?  Or is that totally wrong?

Thanks in advance....

I wouldn't say he would never go back to ISU but there is truth the what you said about the way things went down when he left. I don't think those things are beyond repair, time heals a lot. Just like time healed Fred's feelings on recruiting.

I do have some pretty good info though that says Prohm is locked into ISU, even with the Avery Johnson news. Alabama has been poking around, and I have been assured Prohm wants to stay put.

But, just like the pull Scott Frost felt, I don't want to go down the road of having to find all this out with an open Iowa State job. I also have info that if Prohm ever left they may want TJ as he has a great relationship with Pollard. As with anything, these coaching situations are about as fluid as they come.

32 minutes ago, HuskerCager said:

The Des Moines Register asked the Hoibergs about the rumors at the Michigan St game, and both Dad and son had some interesting vague replies.

"Naturally, he was asked the one question college basketball fans and Midwestern sports supporters were dying to know:

How's his son Jack, a walk-on for Michigan State, doing?"

???

51 minutes ago, Klas3131 said:

Alabama publicly put out a big offer on Gregg Marshall.  Seems more likely that Alabama was looking for a bigger name coach than Prohm though you'd think he would have been on their list and Prohm making the jump to Iowa St a few months later shows his interest in moving up.

Most schools don't negotiate buyouts though. How much of Avery Johnson and Alabama possibly parting ways is fueled by Johnshon's son graduating this year (was a PG on the team and got to coach him for 4 years) and thus him being ready to move back to the NBA?

49 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

If you believe this I have ocean front property in AZ I would like to sell you.

BTW Prohm's buyout is at least 3M as prior to the extension that boosted him to 2M per the buyout on his end was 50% of his remaining contract and he is signed through 2022.

It's possible after ISU saw Illinois buy out Underwood from Okie St that they upped that amount.  I haven't seen his current contract online anywhere though so I don't know.

14 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Most schools don't negotiate buyouts though. How much of Avery Johnson and Alabama possibly parting ways is fueled by Johnshon's son graduating this year (was a PG on the team and got to coach him for 4 years) and thus him being ready to move back to the NBA?

Could be this, or could be "LSU is getting absolutely embarrassed right now by Will Wade and if they come sniffing around here too we could be next so let's unload him ASAP without having to go to 'firing for cause' because that admits guilt". Just... another possible scenario.

5 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

Could be this, or could be "LSU is getting absolutely embarrassed right now by Will Wade and if they come sniffing around here too we could be next so let's unload him ASAP without having to go to 'firing for cause' because that admits guilt". Just... another possible scenario.

I have wondered that... help Miles get a deal elsewhere by upping his own 'game' in the post-season. It's plausible. NU has been known to do the cheaper route for a "Doc," i.e. see one Barry Collier who left for greener A.D. pastures in late Summer.

3 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

Proactively avoiding scandal isn't really a SEC thing

2 hours ago, HoiBall said:

I wouldn't say he would never go back to ISU but there is truth the what you said about the way things went down when he left. I don't think those things are beyond repair, time heals a lot. Just like time healed Fred's feelings on recruiting.

I do have some pretty good info though that says Prohm is locked into ISU, even with the Avery Johnson news. Alabama has been poking around, and I have been assured Prohm wants to stay put.

But, just like the pull Scott Frost felt, I don't want to go down the road of having to find all this out with an open Iowa State job. I also have info that if Prohm ever left they may want TJ as he has a great relationship with Pollard. As with anything, these coaching situations are about as fluid as they come.

If Prohm were to leave for Bama, I've also heard that TJ is the most likely replacement at ISU.

12 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Interesting that former Nebrasketball assistant Tony Benford is leading LSU in the Big Dance. He lost some lb's. He looks rather svelte.

Well, there you go.  If the Hoiberg  thing falls through, pick up Benford, and we'll have ourselves a non mid-major hire with an NCAA win on his resume.