March Tourney Talk

11 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Thanks for the research, @throwback -- I thought Nebraska had 2 quad-one wins. What are the three? Did the Indiana win sneak into there...... just curious.

Clemson on the road is a good one.

{And, Maryland is obviously one, just this past week.}

Q1 wins - at Indiana, at Clemson, (N) Maryland

Q2 wins - blue team, Seton Hall, Iowa, Minnesota, Penn St, (N) Oklahoma St

Rutgers finished #101 in NET. Two more spots, and that would've been a Q2 to get us to 10. But there's no way we're in with that alone. Probably still needed both Wisc and MSU.

42 minutes ago, throwback said:

Q1 wins - at Indiana, at Clemson, (N) Maryland

Q2 wins - blue team, Seton Hall, Iowa, Minnesota, Penn St, (N) Oklahoma St

Rutgers finished #101 in NET. Two more spots, and that would've been a Q2 to get us to 10. But there's no way we're in with that alone. Probably still needed both Wisc and MSU.

Okay, I got the three. Didn't realize Rutgers finished just out of top 100. Crazy year.

Agree NU needed two more... I contend it's the first time around with Wisconsin after also that same week's OSU game where Cope's injury changed the game. 

Edited by AuroranHusker

4 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Interesting how we receive a home game after what happened last year. 

Clearly we're better this year, right?

It's still a head-scratcher on its face:

• a 22-10, 13-5, fourth-place Big Ten team is a No. 5 NIT seed in 2018.
  • an 18-16, 6-14, 13th-place Big Ten team is a No. 4 NIT seed in 2019

All because a bunch of Big Ten teams lost games in November 2017 and a bunch of Big Ten teams won a lot of games in November 2018. Thus the conference season started each year with the perception that (2018) the Big Ten is down or (2019) the Big Ten is up. Yet the 2018 post-season proved that perception wrong — Michigan the national runners-up, PSU the NIT champ.

Looking a little deeper at NCAA, Ohio State is a real outlier. 55 NET, 9 Q1+Q2 wins, 4 Q1 wins. As much as I hate to say it, Tejas had better metrics, 38 NET, 9 Q1+Q2 wins, 5 Q1 wins.

OSU probably should've been in the First Four play-in games, yet they were safely in.

I wonder if OSU was given some benefit of the doubt for the 3 games where they suspended Wesson. I think they lost all 3. Not sure that should've happened, but it kind of looks like the committee did.

Also really weird that MSU could be looking at a path of Bradley, Minnesota, Maryland and then Duke. Why are 3 B1G teams all in the same part of the bracket like that? Weird. And there's no way MSU should be in the same region as Duke. Although that's just enough of a snub to piss Izzo off, so they'll probably go and win the whole thing now.

33 minutes ago, jayschool said:

All because a bunch of Big Ten teams lost games in November 2017 and a bunch of Big Ten teams won a lot of games in November 2018. Thus the conference season started each year with the perception that (2018) the Big Ten is down or (2019) the Big Ten is up. Yet the 2018 post-season proved that perception wrong — Michigan the national runners-up, PSU the NIT champ.

You make a lot of sense. Whoever's in the room for the selection committee seems to be overthinking some things, like understanding the basic tenets of basketball. The Defense will help to win in a close contest but it's the Offense that allows a team to come out on top.

32 minutes ago, throwback said:

Looking a little deeper at NCAA, Ohio State is a real outlier. 55 NET, 9 Q1+Q2 wins, 4 Q1 wins. As much as I hate to say it, Tejas had better metrics, 38 NET, 9 Q1+Q2 wins, 5 Q1 wins.

OSU probably should've been in the First Four play-in games, yet they were safely in.

I wonder if OSU was given some benefit of the doubt for the 3 games where they suspended Wesson. I think they lost all 3. Not sure that should've happened, but it kind of looks like the committee did.

Also really weird that MSU could be looking at a path of Bradley, Minnesota, Maryland and then Duke. Why are 3 B1G teams all in the same part of the bracket like that? Weird. And there's no way MSU should be in the same region as Duke. Although that's just enough of a snub to piss Izzo off, so they'll probably go and win the whole thing now.

The Dukies received a cushy bracket, surprise, until Michigan St.   Committee obviously does not serpentine the 2’s because Michigan should be with Duke and MSU with Gonzaga.  

43 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Apparently not... (granted, this poll wasn't taken at the very end of the season)

3 hours ago, jayschool said:

If I'm figuring this correctly, we finished 4-12 against tournament teams:

• 0-2 vs. MSU
  • 0-1 vs. Michigan
  • 0-2 vs. Purdue
  • 0-2 vs. Wisconsin
  • 1-1 vs. Maryland
  • 1-1 vs. Iowa
  • 1-1 vs. Minnesota
  • 0-1 vs. Ohio State
  • 1-0 vs. Seton Hall
  • 0-1 vs. Texas Tech

6 and 10 would have easily got us in

3 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

This is what a football school who won a conference title in basketball looks like:

Auburn sure has taken a turn in trying to legitimize their hoops program. First tourney title since 1985.

So Nebrasketball has another 9 years to figure this out....... is that accurately reflected by a comparison to Ahh-Barn.

?