NIT watch

Bugeaters1

NIT rules changes (the first three were in place last year):

•    The 3-point line will be extended by approximately 1 foot, 8 inches to the same distance used by FIBA for international competition (22 feet, 1.75 inches). 
•    The free throw lane will be widened from 12 feet to 16 feet, consistent with the width used by the NBA. 
•    The shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of the full 30 seconds.
•    Team fouls will reset at the 10-minute mark of each half for the purpose of determining free throws and one-and-one free throws will be eliminated.  Teams will shoot two bonus free throws after the fifth team foul of each 10-minute segment.  Additionally, teams will be awarded two bonus free throws after the second team foul committed under two minutes remaining in each half if that foul occurs before the fifth team foul of the segment. In each overtime period, team fouls will reset, and teams will shoot two free throws beginning with the fourth team foul or the second team foul committed under two minutes remaining if that comes before the fourth team foul of the overtime period.

Just now, jayschool said:

•    The 3-point line will be extended by approximately 1 foot, 8 inches to the same distance used by FIBA for international competition (22 feet, 1.75 inches). 
•    The free throw lane will be widened from 12 feet to 16 feet, consistent with the width used by the NBA. 
•    The shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of the full 30 seconds.
•    Team fouls will reset at the 10-minute mark of each half for the purpose of determining free throws and one-and-one free throws will be eliminated.  Teams will shoot two bonus free throws after the fifth team foul of each 10-minute segment.  Additionally, teams will be awarded two bonus free throws after the second team foul committed under two minutes remaining in each half if that foul occurs before the fifth team foul of the segment. In each overtime period, team fouls will reset, and teams will shoot two free throws beginning with the fourth team foul or the second team foul committed under two minutes remaining if that comes before the fourth team foul of the overtime period.

That bolded part makes my head hurt.  My goodness.

3 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

That bolded part makes my head hurt.  My goodness.

Basically turns the game into quarters, and you shoot two shots after the fifth foul in each quarter. In the last two minutes, if you're not already over the limit, you put yourself over the limit with the second foul.

They should have just adopted the women's quarters rules.

Just now, jayschool said:

Basically turns the game into quarters, and you shoot two shots after the fifth foul in each quarter. In the last two minutes, if you're not already over the limit, you put yourself over the limit with the second foul.

They should have just adopted the women's quarters rules.

Right!?!?  Trying to make the men's "halve" system fit the quarter system for fouls.

3 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Would be interesting to play former Big 12 Colorado and them bam... current Big 12 Texas.

Or South Dakota St. 

Both would fascinating matchups. Texas bc obviously and SDSU bc of our fanbase's obsession with Mike Daum

14 minutes ago, jayschool said:

The 4th one was in place the last two years.

17 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

The 4th one was in place the last two years.

I'm reading that last year they played four quarters, but this year, they'll play halves. Note the differences in what's below and what I posted above for 2019.

Here are the 2018 special rules:

• The three-point line will be extended by approximately 1 foot 8 inches to the same distance used by FIBA for international competition (22 feet 1.75 inches).
• The free throw lane will be widened from 12 feet to 16 feet, consistent with the width used by the NBA.
• The games will be divided into four 10-minute quarters as opposed to two 20-minute halves. Teams will shoot two free throws beginning with the fifth foul of each quarter.
• The shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of the full 30 seconds.

Edited by jayschool

44 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

They didn't go by RPI last year. I can't remember the metric that was highly correlated to the selection, but it wasn't RPI.

Yeah, it was one of the factors last year. There are several used for various reasons... The NCAA just changed their metric to the NET from RPI this season.

Edited by AuroranHusker

7 minutes ago, jayschool said:

I'm reading that last year they played four quarters, but this year, they'll play halves. Note the differences in what's below and what I posted above for 2019.

Here are the 2018 special rules:

• The three-point line will be extended by approximately 1 foot 8 inches to the same distance used by FIBA for international competition (22 feet 1.75 inches).
• The free throw lane will be widened from 12 feet to 16 feet, consistent with the width used by the NBA.
• The games will be divided into four 10-minute quarters as opposed to two 20-minute halves. Teams will shoot two free throws beginning with the fifth foul of each quarter.
• The shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of the full 30 seconds.

I guess I forgot that tweak last year. Two years ago (2017) they had halves and switched over fouls at the 10 minute mark, exactly how they're doing it this year.

So that makes me think they're not as adament about forcing quarters as much anymore.

3 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I guess I forgot that tweak last year. Two years ago (2017) they had halves and switched over fouls at the 10 minute mark, exactly how they're doing it this year.

So that makes me think they're not as adament about forcing quarters as much anymore.

Eliminating one-and-one's basically hindered Nebraska's chances last season at Miss. St. They were not good at FTs, but were bailed out by having 2 FTs every single time.

And, Miss. St. is a 5-seed this year in the Big Dance under a very good coach in Ben Howland.

7 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

These match ups would be sweet.  We may have to have someone go after their QB's legs...oh wait.

The Jacks have pretty good talent, their PG is a stud (Jenkins). I think they'd give the eastern Omaha squad all they could handle to open things up.

Edited by AuroranHusker

1 hour ago, khoock said:

Or South Dakota St. 

Both would fascinating matchups. Texas bc obviously and SDSU bc of our fanbase's obsession with Mike Daum

Would give Roby a chance to show the scouts what he's got vs. Daum 

Edited by HB