NIT watch

Bugeaters1

DRatings updated this morning - has NU as a #4 seed

https://www.dratings.com/predictor/bracketology/

#5 seeds are South Carolina, Dayton, Wichita St & Fresno St

Has the blue team up the road as a #1 seed, so I'm sure we'd be in the same bracket as them for a potential 2nd round game in Omaha. (Never mind that our NET metrics are better than theirs.)

I'd imagine we'd play Wichita in this scenario, as having the blue team lined up with either NU or Wichita is a perfect match from the perspective of attendance.

Edited by throwback

7 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

Ugh no, I'm probably in the minority but I don't want a Creighton rematch. Come up with a new storyline.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm with you. We caught lightning in a bottle in Chicago with the Magnificent 7, but the chances of repeating that next week in the NIT are minuscule, especially with even more uncertainty hanging over the program (which is hard to believe to be possible, but it's happening).

Regardless of what the guys said immediately after yesterday's game, finishing their careers in the NIT has to be a huge disappointment for them, so repeating the Chicago effort and focus seems highly unlikely, regardless of the venue. Their intentions I'm sure are good, but it's just going to be really hard to recreate that emotion and wave of positivity/confidence in an NIT setting.

The blue team isn't great by any stretch, but taking our short-handed, inexperienced group into that beer-fueled cesspool is a recipe for disaster. It's a whole lot different playing at a neutral site than going on the road for our former bench mob guys with so little experience.

Now if we go in there and win, I'll delete this post before the echo of the final buzzer is over. ? So please, no one quote me.

I'll agree with you. What player is going to vote against more games, and I was not fooled by Miles' faux enthusiasm about the prospect.  But what do we stand to gain by playing anyone in the NIT? Seniors and walk-ons playing on tired legs and risking injury, for what? Gaining experience for next year, when we don't even know who will be here? Giving some second level program a reason to get pumped up about upsetting an "overrated" Big10 program? Show some class, Moos, and turn the invitation down. Let us remember this group for how they performed at the year's end, decide what you are going to do for next year.  Now, let's get working on laying a foundation for succeeding in 2020 and forget the NIT.

As always, I say let the seniors decide what to do. 

Still, the longer we wait on Timmeh's formal fate, the harder it is for him, the program, and a potential new coach to get things going. 

Still, if the players earned the appearance and want to cash in those chips, I think it has to be up to them. 

Edited by tcp

9 minutes ago, tcp said:

As always, I say let the seniors decide what to do. 

Still, the longer we wait on Timmeh's formal fate, the harder it is for him, the program, and a potential new coach to get things going. 

Still, if the players earned the appearance and want to cash in those chips, I think it has to be up to them. 

Exactly. We need to hear from the Jimmy Chitwoods, not the townsfolk on whether or not this team should play.

What are the chances that Moos or higher ups at Nebraska are working behind the scenes to make sure we aren't invited to the NIT?  I know what Boehm said a few days ago but would it really shock anyone if the administration was working this angle?  And honestly, that may just he best for all parties, especially Miles if they know they are firing him.

1 minute ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

What are the chances that Moos or higher ups at Nebraska are working behind the scenes to make sure we aren't invited to the NIT?  I know what Boehm said a few days ago but would it really shock anyone if the administration was working this angle?  And honestly, that may just he best for all parties, especially Miles if they know they are firing him.

The way the administration is, I wouldn't put it past them.

12 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

That just sounds like a lot of work ... especially for a group that wants to spend the bare minimum amount of time dealing with hoops.

If that's the plan, just fire the coach and turn down the bid. 1 or 2 teams do this every year. It's a lot easier.

But since I love a good conspiracy theory, how about this one: Collier, as chairman of the NIT, is in on it with Moos and Boehm, and he'll be named NU's coach again after the committee snubs us. He'll be the Grover Cleveland of NU hoops.

6 hours ago, throwback said:

I'm with you. We caught lightning in a bottle in Chicago with the Magnificent 7, but the chances of repeating that next week in the NIT are minuscule, especially with even more uncertainty hanging over the program (which is hard to believe to be possible, but it's happening).

Regardless of what the guys said immediately after yesterday's game, finishing their careers in the NIT has to be a huge disappointment for them, so repeating the Chicago effort and focus seems highly unlikely, regardless of the venue. Their intentions I'm sure are good, but it's just going to be really hard to recreate that emotion and wave of positivity/confidence in an NIT setting.

The blue team isn't great by any stretch, but taking our short-handed, inexperienced group into that beer-fueled cesspool is a recipe for disaster. It's a whole lot different playing at a neutral site than going on the road for our former bench mob guys with so little experience.

Now if we go in there and win, I'll delete this post before the echo of the final buzzer is over. ? So please, no one quote me.

For posterity.

?

2 hours ago, throwback said:

That just sounds like a lot of work ... especially for a group that wants to spend the bare minimum amount of time dealing with hoops.

If that's the plan, just fire the coach and turn down the bid. 1 or 2 teams do this every year. It's a lot easier.

But since I love a good conspiracy theory, how about this one: Collier, as chairman of the NIT, is in on it with Moos and Boehm, and he'll be named NU's coach again after the committee snubs us. He'll be the Grover Cleveland of NU hoops.

That is "weird and wild stuff..." a la Johnny Carson

?

DRatings updated its projection this morning, still has us as a #4 seed - ETSU has replaced Wichita on the #5 line, just in case you were hoping we'd be matched up with the Bucs instead of the Shox. Other 3 projected #5 seeds are the same as yesterday - S Carolina, Dayton & Fresno St.

Indiana is the only other B1G team in the NIT projection as a #2 seed. Looking like Ohio State will be playing in the First Four in Dayton Tuesday or Wednesday rather than falling to NIT.

Penn State has a better NET rating than either Ind/OSU - and at #50, just 2 spots behind us - will be curious to see if they get a chance in the NIT, even with a poor record of 14-18.

NIT selection show is at 7:30 pm on ESPNU.

On 3/16/2019 at 10:46 AM, Handy Johnson said:

As much as I would like to see this team play some more games for selfish reasons. We need to decline the bid, hold a Presser for Tim on Monday to release him and move on. He deserves at LEAST that.

Its not all about Tim.  If the players want to play, you can't take that away from them.  They earned the right to play.  Why would you want to deny them their last opportunity to play more games if they choose to play?