Gutless statement from Moos

PimpMario

You have your beefs and that's fair. Moos has only been here for one season btw.

Two. I understand football was a focus at the beginning of last season, but Bill Moos became Nebraska's AD in October of 2017.

I also still fail to understand the phenomenon in which our chancellor offers more public support for this team than our athletic director.

9 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

Two. I understand football was a focus at the beginning of last season, but Bill Moos became Nebraska's AD in October of 2017.

I also still fail to understand the phenomenon in which our chancellor offers more public support for this team than our athletic director.

FWIW, Dr. Green and his wife were at the game, openly mingling with the crowd.   Dr. Bounds was not in attendance.    It was announced at the game that over $28,000 in cash went into the Red Cross buckets.    Proud to be a Husker last night, for sure. 

If you get a chance, listen to the the first few segments of Sharp & Benning on on 1620 The Zone.

Talked about the initial tweet that started all of this.

Talked about fixing the infrastructure.

I know that everybody on here is extremely passionate about Husker Basketball and many have already taken sides, including me, sort of.

I'm going to continue to support Moos, however I hope he realizes that there is work that can and should be done to better support our basketball program.

Edited by Ron Mexico

30 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

Does Moos make tweets similar to this about football? I could be wrong (and call me on it if I am), but I don't think he does.

14 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

If you get a chance, listen to the the first few statements of Sharp & Benning on on 1620 The Zone.

I know that everybody on here is extremely passionate about Husker Basketball and many have already taken sides, including me, sort of.

I'm going to continue to support Moos, however I hope he realizes that there is work that can and should be done to better support our basketball program.

There is really no point in ever just taking a side and sticking to it no matter what.

I've been as hard on Moos as anyone but at any point he could have pulled the plug on Miles. That hasn't happened. That's a stand up thing to do and the type of thing you would expect from the leadership at Nebraska. Nothing is ever truly black and white.

4 minutes ago, TheGov21 said:

Does Moos make tweets similar to this about football? I could be wrong (and call me on it if I am), but I don't think he does.

Bill moos clearly should have opened a twitter account yesterday afternoon just in time to make a public show of support.  

3 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

There is really no point in ever just taking a side and sticking to it no matter what.

I've been as hard on Moos as anyone but at any point he could have pulled the plug on Miles. That hasn't happened. That's a stand up thing to do and the type of thing you would expect from the leadership at Nebraska. Nothing is ever truly black and white.

Ding Ding Ding

Tweeting, no. Public statements of support, yes. He had a golden opportunity last week, if he was going to make an announcement of ANY sort, to even acknowledge what the team accomplished. Nothing. He's been contacted at least a few times since then by the media, at which point, instead of saying "Nope, nothing new to report!", he could just as easily have said "Let's focus on what the team is accomplishing right now because it's tremendous and they deserve the spotlight now, not rumors." Whatever games he's attended have been in a suite where no one actually even knows if he's there or not, while, as HB pointed out, Green has been visibly present at the arena. I understand the argument that he has Boehm, and that's fine, but for a revenue sport, it probably shouldn't be all or nothing -- and if the chancellor can find a way to do something, so should the AD.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

You have your beefs and that's fair. Moos has only been here for one season btw. Miles has had his chances. Yes, he could've been "supported" more with more of an extension, but he has had resources that far exceed many other jobs including other Power 5 jobs. There are lots of things that go on behind the scenes or could go on behind the scenes that many of us may not be aware of. I'm gonna let those guys do their job.

The administration didn't feel comfortable investing more money and time in Miles. What I don't understand is why didn't they structure a new extension that looks like more support (5 years) but involves the same amount of buyout money--would've been the best of both worlds imho. Miles gets more "support" in terms of being able to recruit and the University is on the hook for the same amount of money. No sense in worrying about that now though ...

Other than the fact this is Bill's 2nd basketball season, I agree with you, especially on the financial side of this argument. The part that burns me with Moos is his public statements. After you gave Miles an extension last year (whether I think that was a good move or not) as a representative of the university who is responsible for fielding the best possible athletic teams he should have changed his public statements. Instead of basically saying "they need to win big this year or else" at nearly every opportunity, he could have just said "Tim's my coach, we are excited about the season, GBR".

Look, everyone knew that Tim's job was on the line this year, including Tim. All Moos did by opening his mouth was add to the narrative in the public and media. There was absolutely nothing to be gained except ratcheting up the pressure on Tim and the team. It caused the narrative to change swiftly when we had a couple losses and Isaac got hurt. Maybe it wouldn't have made a difference but it wouldn't have hurt if the AD at least gave the impression he wanted the team to do well. Publicly supporting the team and coach doesn't mean you can't fire him if he doesn't clear the bar. That happens all the time.

That said, if he can pull in Hoiberg, good for Moos. I want Bill to be successful because that means great things for our Huskers. I just don't agree with how he's handled the PR side of this, starting as far back as last year.

1 minute ago, Buglem said:

Other than the fact this is Bill's 2nd basketball season, I agree with you, especially on the financial side of this argument. The part that burns me with Moos is his public statements. After you gave Miles an extension last year (whether I think that was a good move or not) as a representative of the university who is responsible for fielding the best possible athletic teams he should have changed his public statements. Instead of basically saying "they need to win big this year or else" at nearly every opportunity, he could have just said "Tim's my coach, we are excited about the season, GBR".

Look, everyone knew that Tim's job was on the line this year, including Tim. All Moos did by opening his mouth was add to the narrative in the public and media. There was absolutely nothing to be gained except ratcheting up the pressure on Tim and the team. It caused the narrative to change swiftly when we had a couple losses and Isaac got hurt. Maybe it wouldn't have made a difference but it wouldn't have hurt if the AD at least gave the impression he wanted the team to do well. Publicly supporting the team and coach doesn't mean you can't fire him if he doesn't clear the bar. That happens all the time.

That said, if he can pull in Hoiberg, good for Moos. I want Bill to be successful because that means great things for our Huskers. I just don't agree with how he's handled the PR side of this, starting as far back as last year.

I agree with all of this.  I also want Moos to do well because as Buglem said, that means NU does well.  And if he pulls in Hoiberg, that is a home run hire, along with Frost.  But yes, his PR skills could use a little work.  However, I know the bottom line is to get things done, and it appears he'd doing that.

5 minutes ago, Buglem said:

I guess I dont understand where the issue is.  Wouldn't we want the AD to be transparent?   Why would we prefer a bunch of of sugarcoated statements?

7 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

You have your beefs and that's fair. Moos has only been here for one season btw. Miles has had his chances. Yes, he could've been "supported" more with more of an extension, but he has had resources that far exceed many other jobs including other Power 5 jobs. There are lots of things that go on behind the scenes or could go on behind the scenes that many of us may not be aware of. I'm gonna let those guys do their job.

The administration didn't feel comfortable investing more money and time in Miles. What I don't understand is why didn't they structure a new extension that looks like more support (5 years) but involves the same amount of buyout money--would've been the best of both worlds imho. Miles gets more "support" in terms of being able to recruit and the University is on the hook for the same amount of money. No sense in worrying about that now though ...

That was my stance last spring...but Miles might have not wanted that and instead took the 1 year extension..figuring that he could parlay this year into a better financial package and if he didn't, the buyout wouldn't change....and he would be gone either way.

21 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

Tweeting, no. Public statements of support, yes. He had a golden opportunity last week, if he was going to make an announcement of ANY sort, to even acknowledge what the team accomplished. Nothing. He's been contacted at least a few times since then by the media, at which point, instead of saying "Nope, nothing new to report!", he could just as easily have said "Let's focus on what the team is accomplishing right now because it's tremendous and they deserve the spotlight now, not rumors." Whatever games he's attended have been in a suite where no one actually even knows if he's there or not, while, as HB pointed out, Green has been visibly present at the arena. I understand the argument that he has Boehm, and that's fine, but for a revenue sport, it probably shouldn't be all or nothing -- and if the chancellor can find a way to do something, so should the AD.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

At this point it doesn't matter what he says, so he is better off saying nothing, because with a certain segment of the fan base he can do no right.

What difference does it make if makes a comment or doesn't? Why does it matter? I don't get it I really don't.

Fans are pissed he didn't attend games at the BIG and so when he does attend he is doing it wrong. This reinforces my above statement that with a certain segment of the fan base he can do no right. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

If you get a chance, listen to the the first few segments of Sharp & Benning on on 1620 The Zone.

Had to log in at work real quick just to up vote this. ?

31 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

At this point it doesn't matter what he says, so he is better off saying nothing, because with a certain segment of the fan base he can do no right.

What difference does it make if makes a comment or doesn't? Why does it matter? I don't get it I really don't.

Fans are pissed he didn't attend games at the BIG and so when he does attend he is doing it wrong. This reinforces my above statement that with a certain segment of the fan base he can do no right. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

The fact Moos showed up for the game against Rutgers in Chicago but then didn't stick around for Maryland and then Wisconsin makes me firmly believe his purpose in showing up was to hand-deliver a pink slip to Miles after an expected loss to Rutgers.

I agree with @ladyhusker that Moos's silence about the team's wins since the Iowa game has been deafening.  Just reinforces my belief that the die is already cast.  Moos has a plan in place and that plan does not involve Miles being here next year.

But does that stop him from at least acknowledging that the team he is responsible for is having some unexpected success?  (Unexpected in the sense that, with all the injuries, we're really outgunned.)

11 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

The fact Moos showed up for the game against Rutgers in Chicago but then didn't stick around for Maryland and then Wisconsin makes me firmly believe his purpose in showing up was to hand-deliver a pink slip to Miles after an expected loss to Rutgers.

I agree with @ladyhusker that Moos's silence about the team's wins since the Iowa game has been deafening.  Just reinforces my belief that the die is already cast.  Moos has a plan in place and that plan does not involve Miles being here next year.

But does that stop him from at least acknowledging that the team he is responsible for is having some unexpected success?  (Unexpected in the sense that, with all the injuries, we're really outgunned.)

Do Athletic directors put out statements when the football team win a game or two, the volleyball team wins a game in the second round, etc....these were nice wins, but do ADs need to pat its teams on the back when they have mild success?

If they do, then he should...if they don't, then it will feel awkward.

59 minutes ago, Buglem said:

Great post.  Fair to all "sides".   I have said for a weeks on here that it appeared this team struggled mightily beneath the weight of rare high expectations and pressure.  Personally I think it was more than just bad coaching and playing.   That team wasn't having fun, wasn't together; it was palpable.   Once the "collapse" was final and we went 2-11 after 11-2, we could have packed it in and called it a day.  Instead the pressure was off, guys started having fun, the team came together and we're having a special couple of weeks.   Was "ratcheting up the pressure" a factor?  I think it contributed to it.   As said, nothing is black and white and there are all sorts of factors at play.  I'm sure ADs, coaches and players would like some do-overs.   In the end we didn't win enough over 7 years, but two ADs could have handled the situation much better than they did.   And Buglem is right, while we can be critical of some of what Moos has done, we should all want him to be successful.  

Miles & Co. are playing for many things, these final days.  One of those things is for their next gig.  

With coaching changes happening over the next couple years, demand for their services will be high—especially since they’ve produced a clean program.  

And the results they’ve achieved at the end of this season, with class and amid bad circumstances, will heighten the demand for their services.

. . . Let the Hoiberg era of Nebrasketball begin!!!

1 hour ago, nustudent said:

I guess I dont understand where the issue is.  Wouldn't we want the AD to be transparent?   Why would we prefer a bunch of of sugarcoated statements?

There's a subtle difference between transparency and undermining. IMO, Bill was really toeing the line on undermining. Does he really need to be transparent about expectations every time he talks to the press when he's already spoken with his wallet? I don't think he had to continually state his expectations when I think that was pretty clear regardless. When you continue to state that publicly, you are creating a narrative. That's what he did, all the press did was run with it and make it THE story this year at every turn. It definitely had a negative impact on the team's mentality (which isn't a ringing endorsement of the head coach).

5 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

1. Are you sure? Does he seem like the kind of person who would have fired TM in Chicago? I don't believe that for a second. He knew that he was going to be leaving soon after the Rutgers game to go to his sons spring game and was going to be gone for several days. Does it seem even remotely likely he would have fired him then run off?  If he had any ulterior motives to be there, other than the fact that it was the BIG Tourney would have been to meet with other AD's and the conference commissioner and perhaps, just perhaps, to finalize his deal with FH who coincidentally happened to be there ? Note how most of the information about FH deal being done...allegedly came out after the BIG Tourney. Looking at it objectively which seems more likely? 

2. The die is cast.

3. My question to that is why? Anything he says is going to come off as disingenuous. Every statement he makes is parsed a 1000 ways from Sunday. Better to say nothing.

1 hour ago, Blindcheck said:

Do Athletic directors put out statements when the football team win a game or two, the volleyball team wins a game in the second round, etc....these were nice wins, but do ADs need to pat its teams on the back when they have mild success?

If they do, then he should...if they don't, then it will feel awkward.

Generally no, they do not need to do that.   But when you are putting out a statement anyway 45 minutes after a 4 game stretch that just took place, it's easy to add a sentence or two acknowledging what everyone from our fans to the BTN gang were being effusive about.   Secondly, this isn't all about Miles and sometime players need to be recognized for extraordinary accomplishments (winning 4 of 5 under all the circumstances).   This little gang of 6-7 players is doing some truly special stuff.   It won't go down in history since we finished 13th and (so far) won a game in the NIT.   But the fans see it, feel it, and turned out in impressive fashion last night to honor it.   Comparing this to winning a game or 2 in football and volleyball is, well, simplistic and not analogous.  

Edited by HB

14 minutes ago, Buglem said:

There's a subtle difference between transparency and undermining. IMO, Bill was really toeing the line on undermining. Does he really need to be transparent about expectations every time he talks to the press when he's already spoken with his wallet? I don't think he had to continually state his expectations when I think that was pretty clear regardless. When you continue to state that publicly, you are creating a narrative. That's what he did, all the press did was run with it and make it THE story this year at every turn. It definitely had a negative impact on the team's mentality (which isn't a ringing endorsement of the head coach).

Would speculation have been better?   If everyone knew the score as you indicate (and I do believe that everyone knew the score), then why put on a false face.   

2 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Would speculation have been better?   If everyone knew the score as you indicate (and I do believe that everyone knew the score), then why put on a false face.   

Clearly we don't see this the same way.

My experience in leading people is that you get WAY further with public praise and private coaching/expectation setting than with public criticism. Even in the corporate world it becomes harder to do your job if your boss isn't being publicly supportive (and that's without press and social media constantly looking for a story and churning out a narrative). Being supportive by either saying positive things or at least not saying things that can be construed as negative generally leads to better results. If you don't believe the way Moos handled this last year contributed to the negativity of the coverage and added to the funk the team went into, that's your prerogative. I'm sure we can agree that Miles didn't do a good job of handling expectations and the drama around the program and that's why he won't be the coach anymore.

That said, I'm not questioning the decision that appears to be made or the presumed hiring of Hoiberg. I just hope this enables our entire administration to do their job (including PR) properly without the excuse of the coach not being "their guy". For this program to be successful, we need everyone on the same page and rowing in the same direction. If a new coach is what it takes to do that, so be it.

I think this speaks in large part to how miles has ran the program.  Clean, likeable, and now showing another side with some toughness.  This wasn’t a complete no brainer by any means, and there remain people on both sides of the fence and many of us sort of straddling that fence.  This is why this is a big deal.  I think many folks feel Miles deserved good treatment on the way out at the very least.  This leads to probably making Moos actions a bigger deal than they may actually be.