Gutless statement from Moos

PimpMario

11 minutes ago, Ruck Me Funning said:

If you're worried about the Omaha media knowing what's up that really isn't in the best interest of UNL and they aren't super happy they are being left out and are making this thing messy on purpose.   As far as the coaching staff they have known what was happening for almost 2-3 weeks and understand. They have told people around them and major supporters of basketball what was happening.  Many media members like Pavelka who are more friendly with the athletic department know as well and that's why he was so happy for Miles with the Iowa win.   Miles and Moose are good with each other.  Miles would also like to be back at NU some day in another capacity and that door is wide open from both sides. 

Being saying this for awhile although I didn't know about your last sentence.

31 minutes ago, Ruck Me Funning said:

If you're worried about the Omaha media knowing what's up that really isn't in the best interest of UNL and they aren't super happy they are being left out and are making this thing messy on purpose.   As far as the coaching staff they have known what was happening for almost 2-3 weeks and understand. They have told people around them and major supporters of basketball what was happening.  Many media members like Pavelka who are more friendly with the athletic department know as well and that's why he was so happy for Miles with the Iowa win.   Miles and Moose are good with each other.  Miles would also like to be back at NU some day in another capacity and that door is wide open from both sides. 

I suspect Miles would want to come back as some sort of motivational life coach for the student athletes in the athletic department.  It would be a 4 month job.  He'd likely work exceptionally hard during football and volleyball seasons and then be excused unexpectedly during basketball season.

39 minutes ago, Ruck Me Funning said:

So I take it players don’t know though.

8 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

So I take it players don’t know though.

I know it's meant in the best way, still seems weird as I don't think I'd have ever referred to my college hoops coach by "Mizzy" in lieu of Coach -- and, yes, I am a fuddy-dud at this point. I still refer to mine as Coach. I have even written Coach & Mrs. on a formal invitation to them. ?

Busy and pretty troll-free board this rainy morning. One would never guess we play an actual game tomorrow. Hopefully everyone, both players and fans, can just relax and enjoy it. I'm still not totally sure why we decided to play in the NIT if the rumors turn out to be true. There are probably extenuating circumstances which we do not know. 

54 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Being saying this for awhile although I didn't know about your last sentence.

Careful, because it isn't true.  I can assure you that all isn't "good" between Miles and Moos, and that once fired, Miles is not ever coming back to NU to work in another capacity.   The stuff that shows up on here at times like this is ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, Ruck Me Funning said:

I've been told just now by someone legitimately in-the-know, who would be in a position to have had unfiltered, candid conversations with Tim directly, that the above statement is not true.

No inside knowledge here but I’m fairly certain no matter how things shake out Tim will land on his feet.  He’ll have other coaching opportunities.  I also think his personality/charisma would give him opportunities in a media/analyst role somewhere if that’s the route he wanted to go.

I struggle to think everything between the AD and Miles are great, but I also think he’s known his fate for awhile now.  Don’t think for a minute that some of these leaks aren’t coming from his camp either.  Unfornately it’s the nature of the business these days. 

2 minutes ago, tjp21 said:

No inside knowledge here but I’m fairly certain no matter how things shake out Tim will land on his feet.  He’ll have other coaching opportunities.  I also think his personality/charisma would give him opportunities in a media/analyst role somewhere if that’s the route he wanted to go.

I struggle to think everything between the AD and Miles are great, but I also think he’s known his fate for awhile now.  Don’t think for a minute that some of these leaks aren’t coming from his camp either.  Unfornately it’s the nature of the business these days. 

Had the same thought. Tim might be a great color commentator should he choose to pursue that vocation.  

14 minutes ago, tjp21 said:

He's already on some lists. I saw somewhere that if things don't work out with Matta/UNLV, then Miles would be one of a handful pursued for that job.

6 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

He's already on some lists. I saw somewhere that if things don't work out with Matta/UNLV, then Miles would be one of a handful pursued for that job.

My guess is he'd do a hell of a job there. He could keep his transfer model in recruiting and supplement it a lot easier with the solid guys he did't get here. Actually develop a bench. Its a hop, skip, and a jump from Southern California. There are lots of people (myself included) that absolutely would not leave the area for absolutely anything. But might be able to be talked into Vegas for a few years?. He might even be able to sweat talk a blue chipper or two. A hell of a lot easier sell than Nebraska if you ask me (Don't get up in arms I spent 30 years in and around Lincoln)

5 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

My guess is he'd do a hell of a job there. He could keep his transfer model in recruiting and supplement it a lot easier with the solid guys he did't get here. Actually develop a bench. Its a hop, skip, and a jump from Southern California. There are lots of people (myself included) that absolutely would not leave the area for absolutely anything. But might be able to be talked into Vegas for a few years?. He might even be able to sweat talk a blue chipper or two. A hell of a lot easier sell than Nebraska if you ask me (Don't get up in arms I spent 30 years in and around Lincoln)

I assume you meant "sweet talk."

If not, then the state of basketball recruiting is worse than I thought.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I've been told just now by someone legitimately in-the-know, who would be in a position to have had unfiltered, candid conversations with Tim directly, that the above statement is not true.

Right.  Tim and staff are good dudes.  They are nice guys all around and respected around the country in coaching circles and in the media.  Of course they aren't going to cause an uproar publicly.  However, you are going to have a hard time convincing me that the man who is about to put you, your assistants, and their families in an unknown financial and livelihood position are somehow buddy-buddy through all of this.  It just doesn't happen like that.

I guess we 

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I guess we will just have to disagree there. Unless you spoke with him directly or his wife and they said differently. But its almost word for word from his family so he might want to tell them whats changed then.    

23 minutes ago, Ruck Me Funning said:

I guess we 

I guess we will just have to disagree there. Unless you spoke with him directly or his wife and they said differently. But its almost word for word from his family so he might want to tell them whats changed then.    

Hey, take it for what it's worth. I'm just passing along what I've been told.

On 3/18/2019 at 7:54 AM, hhcmatt said:

RE: Moos

Because a better coach deserves to be supported by the athletic director?  If Miles isn't good enough, he isn't good enough, right?  He makes the NCAA tourney this year and we can hire a better coach you do that, right?  What exactly is the harm putting forth effort as the AD for the last two years?   That you are sitting here telling me that once we get a different coach the AD will do his f$*# job is exactly the reason a big part of the board is up in arms here. 

TBH I hope we don't see more of him because at least then we know he just doesn't like attending basketball games and he most likely wasn't undermining a program that has been 1-2 wins away from the tournament for the last two years.

You have your beefs and that's fair. Moos has only been here for one season btw. Miles has had his chances. Yes, he could've been "supported" more with more of an extension, but he has had resources that far exceed many other jobs including other Power 5 jobs. There are lots of things that go on behind the scenes or could go on behind the scenes that many of us may not be aware of. I'm gonna let those guys do their job.

The administration didn't feel comfortable investing more money and time in Miles. What I don't understand is why didn't they structure a new extension that looks like more support (5 years) but involves the same amount of buyout money--would've been the best of both worlds imho. Miles gets more "support" in terms of being able to recruit and the University is on the hook for the same amount of money. No sense in worrying about that now though ...

A large part of me wants the movie ending where Nebraska wins the NIT with 6 players and Miles quits during the post game interview.  It would be the most Nebrasketball thing ever. Coach quits before being fired for tying the most wins in a season and best post season performance in school history. 

5 hours ago, jimmychitwood said:

A large part of me wants the movie ending where Nebraska wins the NIT with 6 players and Miles quits during the post game interview.  It would be the most Nebrasketball thing ever. Coach quits before being fired for tying the most wins in a season and best post season performance in school history. 

Our coach quitting after winning a post season tournament, because we hired the hottest coaching candidate out there - has got to be the LEAST Nebrasketball thing I can think of. We never win tournaments or hire big name coaches. 

6 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

You have your beefs and that's fair. Moos has only been here for one season btw. Miles has had his chances. Yes, he could've been "supported" more with more of an extension, but he has had resources that far exceed many other jobs including other Power 5 jobs. There are lots of things that go on behind the scenes or could go on behind the scenes that many of us may not be aware of. I'm gonna let those guys do their job.

The administration didn't feel comfortable investing more money and time in Miles. What I don't understand is why didn't they structure a new extension that looks like more support (5 years) but involves the same amount of buyout money--would've been the best of both worlds imho. Miles gets more "support" in terms of being able to recruit and the University is on the hook for the same amount of money. No sense in worrying about that now though ...

We're saying a lot of the same things here. The point about worrying about the department trying to figure out how to squeeze more wins out of Miles is why do we think they're going to do that if it's Hoiberg or anyone else.  In the future we should be happy to make the Sweet 16 even though the right/better leadership inside might have meant Eilte 8? 

4 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Our coach quitting after winning a post season tournament, because we hired the hottest coaching candidate out there - has got to be the LEAST Nebrasketball thing I can think of. We never win tournaments or hire big name coaches. 

The year we won the NIT, our players staged a walkout earlier in the season. Maybe chaos is our secret formula for postseason success?