Gutless statement from Moos

PimpMario

17 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Sort of a depressing thread and board in general today. Much as I would like to pontificate, I will stick with my statement of last week that the AD should have made his call when he gave his momentous (non)statement then and that he should have declined the invitation to the NIT. With that said, now that we are in, let's just roll out the ball and  hope we win every game we play in the tournament. It is obvious that nothing will get done regarding next year's team until the season ends and our present players and coaches deserve nothing less that our full support.  

I don't ever want the AD to decline an opportunity for our players to play if they want to keep playing.    They earned that right.   

There shouldn't be a category that says "screw current players so that future players may be better".  

Anyway, I have my NIT tickets and Mrs. HB and I will be there living the dream and providing our full support. 

3 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

RE: Moos

Because a better coach deserves to be supported by the athletic director?  If Miles isn't good enough, he isn't good enough, right?  He makes the NCAA tourney this year and we can hire a better coach you do that, right?  What exactly is the harm putting forth effort as the AD for the last two years?   That you are sitting here telling me that once we get a different coach the AD will do his f$*# job is exactly the reason a big part of the board is up in arms here. 

TBH I hope we don't see more of him because at least then we know he just doesn't like attending basketball games and he most likely wasn't undermining a program that has been 1-2 wins away from the tournament for the last two years.

I wish I could up-vote this 100 times! For those saying Moos has done nothing wrong with the basketball program, this is exactly my argument.

Even after his tepid one year extension last year, Moos could have handled the entire situation differently. He told everyone that his expectations were to repeat last years success in the wins column and implied there would be consequences if Miles didn't achieve. Well no $hit Sherlock, that describes what everyone already knew. Instead of finding ways to insert drama at nearly every opportunity, he should have simply said "Tim is our coach and we are excited to see what the team achieves this year". Fully back him publicly and do everything you can to make him successful. News flash - EVERYBODY knows there are consequences if the boss deems your work sub-par, there's no need for the boss to publicly imply it. If you can't bring yourself to say something nice and supportive about YOUR team or coach, then STFU and say nothing.

If what it takes to get the administration all on the same page is hiring a new coach then fine, do it. But to sit here and effectively say "after he hires his guy, the AD will do his job" is a bunch of crap. For all the people saying "Tim is a big boy", so is Moos. With great power comes great responsibility and part of that is to do everything you can to make your program (or company) successful even if you don't like some of the leaders or people in it.

Hopefully someday we will see Moos (and Greene and Bounds) do their jobs properly. If firing Miles is what it takes to get them all singing Kumbaya so they can finally do their jobs, then lets get on with it.

14 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

It looks bad for him to leave on Wednesday to go to his sons spring game on Saturday? Did you or anyone consider that he wanted to spend time with family and not just pop in for the game and leave. I highly doubt it because you all think everything he does is completely wrong. Him attending a game or not doesn't mean anything. Hopefully you understand the importance of him attending a football vs a basketball game, the least of which is that all of this largess at the AD and University is because of the football program. As an FYI he did miss a Husker Football game for family reasons.

From my view he is being transparent with not only TM but also with the fan base. Is there any doubt in anybody's mind where we currently stand? 

Seems harsh for TM but it is also honest. TM is a big boy. 

My own conspiratorial mind wants to know why basketball players are commenting on the AD when I have never heard them comment previously.

He is an ATHLETICS DIRECTOR.  Not a football director.  I'm not saying he has to go to every game to be doing his job, but his PR skills are poor.  If spending family time is that important, he is old enough,  and made enough money to retire.  That's a decision him and his wife need to make.  Right now, he has a job, and a decision to make.  It looks bad to come in for one game and leave town.  If he wanted to attend the Cal game, don't go to the BTT, if you might have to leave Thursday.  Nobody would have been wiser to know you didn't attend Wednesday's game.  Don't tell Miles you are going to make a statement, without telling him what the statement is going to be (my conspiracy theory is he told Miles what it was going to say, and Miles was able to get sympathy points).

8 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

His son isn’t in the Hospital, his son isn’t Graduating, he played in a PRACTICE football game. This has ZERO to do with family and everything to do with Bill not doing his job. Can you imagine him skipping a Bowl game or the Volleyball tournament? That’s the equivalent...

So unless there is a graduation, wedding, or death/hospital he should be required to attend all Husker events if they fall within the same time frame. 

This right here is the real Husker fan. Family is only important if it fits within certain parameters. 

My final contribution to this thread, at least until after Moos hires our next coach, is that we only offer lip service when it comes to the importance of family with this University.

We evoke family as a fan base to virtual signal. I have been told by people that family isn't real and I always doubted them but what I'm seeing here has changed my mind. 

There is a systemic sickness in our fan base.

6 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

My final contribution to this thread, at least until after Moos hires our next coach, is that we only offer lip service when it comes to the importance of family with this University.

We evoke family as a fan base to virtual signal. I have been told by people that family isn't real and I always doubted them but what I'm seeing here has changed my mind. 

There is a systemic sickness in our fan base.

Are you even reading the posts here, Ron?  No one is saying family is not important to the university, or Cornhusker fans.  Of course it is.  What some people are concerned about is using "gotta go see family" as an excuse to shirk your duties as AD at the University of Nebraska.  Even if Moos' intentions were pure, you have to admit, from a PR standpoint, he's bungled the last few days horribly.  

It seems to me that his statement is either a sign of a serious inability to do his job well or... something else.

My only opportunity to meet Moos left the impression of him being a warm, caring man who was good at what he does. Maybe some of you with more of a connection to the athletic program can shed light on his foibles but, to my knowledge, he has done a good job. So, I am thinking it is something else. When the story is written about all of this when it is said and done, we may well look at his handling of it and be very pleased.

Then again, I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

So unless there is a graduation, wedding, or death/hospital he should be required to attend all Husker events if they fall within the same time frame. 

This right here is the real Husker fan. Family is only important if it fits within certain parameters. 

This isn’t just ANY event. It’s the biggest event of yer Men’s Basketball season & he could have done BOTH but chose not too. That’s why it not only looks like he doesn’t care, it shows it...

I would agree that Moos kind of blew this some.. Should have come out with Tim is doing a great job IN THE TOURNAMENT and the boys are playing really hard RIGHT NOW.  

It would have maybe been a bit cleaner.

But I would have to think that any of the people on this staff kind of know what is happening right now.

I have to agree with somebody that they are coaching for a resume pop and because they really like the kids they coach.

If you're worried about the Omaha media knowing what's up that really isn't in the best interest of UNL and they aren't super happy they are being left out and are making this thing messy on purpose.   As far as the coaching staff they have known what was happening for almost 2-3 weeks and understand. They have told people around them and major supporters of basketball what was happening.  Many media members like Pavelka who are more friendly with the athletic department know as well and that's why he was so happy for Miles with the Iowa win.   Miles and Moose are good with each other.  Miles would also like to be back at NU some day in another capacity and that door is wide open from both sides. 

Just now, Ruck Me Funning said:

If you're worried about the Omaha media knowing what's up that really isn't in the best interest of UNL and they aren't super happy they are being left out and are making this thing messy on purpose.   As far as the coaching staff they have known what was happening for almost 2-3 weeks and understand. They have told people around them and major supporters of basketball what was happening.  Many media members like Pavelka who are more friendly with the athletic department know as well and that's why he was so happy for Miles with the Iowa win.   Miles and Moose are good with each other.  Miles would also like to be back at NU some day in another capacity and that door is wide open from both sides. 

This is a very good explanation about why things are transpiring like they are. Both sides are confident in who they are and where his is going. No need to cut and run. This also means Moos is confident where his work is headed.