Gutless statement from Moos

PimpMario

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

It looks bad for him to leave on Wednesday to go to his sons spring game on Saturday? Did you or anyone consider that he wanted to spend time with family and not just pop in for the game and leave. I highly doubt it because you all think everything he does is completely wrong. Him attending a game or not doesn't mean anything. Hopefully you understand the importance of him attending a football vs a basketball game, the least of which is that all of this largess at the AD and University is because of the football program. As an FYI he did miss a Husker Football game for family reasons.

Yes he missed the make-up game...against BETHUNE-COOKMAN...for his daughter's wedding. Of course he would miss that game, that is obviously expected with a wedding and all. I'm guessing he doesn't miss a glorified scrimmage at Cal if our FB team was playing Wisconsin. Family time could've come Friday evening Saturday evening, all day Sunday, etc.

Edited by jason2486

1 hour ago, ladyhusker said:

Spitballing, but because we had an AD who actually attended games and spent time around the program?

And it doesn't seem all that transparent to me to leave the staff in the dark as to what the contents of that announcement would be. Chris Heady's entire article about it is pretty much a testament to how non-transparent it was.

It looks bad to attend a Wednesday night game and then leave when it would have been just as easy to go after an afternoon game Thursday (played at noon Pacific time -- he literally would have had to shift his flight a matter of a couple hours). Doing what he did gives the appearance that he was only there to fire him after we lost. If that was just message board angst it'd be one thing, but it isn't; that's the storyline his actions led to, which was reported on both locally and nationally.

Look, I don't like Bill Moos for a lot of reasons. You do, and that's fine. But objectively speaking, this whole ordeal was a mess of his own making. He's paid handsomely to do the exact opposite of what he did in the last three days, which is to make Nebraska Athletics look foolish on a national level, as evidenced by several well-known pundits weighing in on it when it would have been just as easy not to.

To me it looks like a guy who values family and knows that he won't have that many chances to see him play. I guess all that lip service we give about family with this program is just that...lip service. Complaining about when he could have left seems petty. I give little weight to national  hacks say. Local guys know that Miles days are short and are just looking for a story line to fill up column inches over the next week or so. Moos was never going to fire him in Chicago, regardless of the outcome of the game vs Rutgers. People complain if he doesn't go to a game and when he doesn't go to a game. 

Objectively this is much-ado about nothing. TM is going to be fired.  Wednesday will be his last game as our head coach. The team used up all of their emotional energy this past weekend. 

I hope I'm wrong as I want to see them win enough to make it to the quarter finals and hopefully play Creighton and beat them for a second time this season.

GBR!

14 minutes ago, jason2486 said:

Yes he missed the make-up game...against BETHUNE-COOKMAN...for his daughter's wedding. Of course he would miss that game, that is obviously expected with a wedding and all. I'm guessing he doesn't miss a glorified scrimmage at Cal if our FB team was playing Wisconsin. Family time could've come Friday evening Saturday evening, all day Sunday, etc.

i guess we now know that family is only important when we say it should be important and all family plans need to be pre-approved by the fan base in order to avoid bad press. He probably has had to miss a lot of family time over his career and wanted to take this opportunity to spend time with his son and the rest of his family. If we would have played in the championship game on Sunday he would have been there. It is not for us to judge what is important for someones family. 

ADs like to be at the tourney and hobnob with each other ... it's a nice event for a lot of reasons. I would imagine Moos had plans to go spend time with his son and family before their Spring Game as well. I don't think he was just chomping at the bit to be there just to fire Miles on Wednesday. We basically HAVE (and have had) a separate AD that oversees basketball in Boehm so I don't think it's a huge deal Moos isn't constantly around basketball. Will we see more of him with a new coach? I absolutely think so. My guess is Green and Bounds also aren't comfortable putting a ton of money behind Miles because they don't see him as the long term answer. I do think we are ready to commit more fully to hoops however. Miles had 7 years to get it done and there really wasn't anything that was being "built" as far as I could see and we had the worst 3 year stretch in over 60 years (one year which included a preseason Top 25 team). In all of the awfulness that has been Nebrasketball that's really saying something. Miles has been a great promoter of the program and is well liked (and does a nice job of utilizing and developing a relationship with the media). All of this was done with better recruiting (but a strangely similar record).

Miles himself said his tenure rode on the best HS class he had -- Morrow, Watson, Jacobsen, and McVeigh. Only one lasted the full 4-5 years and 2 of them are contributors elsewhere. When you have people who are starters leaving and having success elsewhere it's not a great sign. Morrow himself said he didn't want to leave, but felt he had to. He and Jacobsen left mostly because they didn't want to play the 5 and we couldn't keep a true 5 here or recruit a decent one. Now both of those guys are playing the 5 or a position close to their old position and having success. Now there's this sudden burst of optimist because of the feel goods of the tourney. I was there -- it did feel nice -- but I have to say it seems the only time Miles's teams have played well has been when they have nothing to lose. We were AWFUL earlier in the 2013-14 season and got hot late. That was fun, but Miles himself said it may have been a year too early. Better then than never though. I'm rambling. I'm just saying 7 years is a pretty decent run ANYWHERE, let alone here. For someone with Miles's record it's especially a decent amount of time to be around.

I have no problem with him spending time with his family. I've said that a few times, even saying that I appreciate that he skipped the Bethune Cookman game for his daughter's wedding. That's a big deal that's way more important than a make-up football game, and I'm glad he was there instead of here. HOWEVER -- the optics are pretty bad, from just about any objective source, for him to fly in for a single Big Ten tournament game and then head back out while using the Cal spring game on Saturday as the reason. It sucks to make the decision to spend a couple more hours with family vs doing a job, and I don't think anyone would fault him for wanting to be there for his son -- but he absolutely could have done both and CHOSE not to, and created unnecessary speculation and discussion. As an athletic director for a high-major program, this is just part of the job, not unlike the on-call doctor who would probably prefer to spend Christmas with his family but has to go deliver a baby instead of have family dinner. By doing it the way he did -- and then following it up with that non-statement nonsense -- he created a storyline where there didn't need to be one. That's utter incompetence. Maybe locally we don't put much stock into the national talking heads, and that's each person's individual prerogative, but that does have an effect on the university's national perception -- again, something it is his literal job to curate, and something he has once again done exceptionally poorly when it comes to basketball.

40 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

His son isn’t in the Hospital, his son isn’t Graduating, he played in a PRACTICE football game. This has ZERO to do with family and everything to do with Bill not doing his job. Can you imagine him skipping a Bowl game or the Volleyball tournament? That’s the equivalent...

Handy while I agree 100% he could have adjusted his schedule and so help me if he hires Ernie Kent I will drive to Lincoln and kick him in the man parts, but I will NOT ever bash the guy for watching his sons game, practice or not.  I did not miss one purple and gold scrimmage be it volleyball or baseball while my kids were in high school.  Yes a practice is all it was but I was there.  Bill did the right thing going to watch.

14 minutes ago, BigTate said:

Its a good thing for the seniors and even the other players who want to play more games this season... 

THIS 100 times over.  As fans should we not be happy we get to watch at least 1 more game?  I know I am.  If what at least one poster here says and we do have our next coach lined up, let the kids play.  Do any of us really think that 7 to 14 days is going to make that much of a difference for the next guy?

4 minutes ago, colhusker said:

THIS 100 times over.  As fans should we not be happy we get to watch at least 1 more game?  I know I am.  If what at least one poster here says and we do have our next coach lined up, let the kids play.  Do any of us really think that 7 to 14 days is going to make that much of a difference for the next guy?

It's getting to the point where 7 YEARS doesn't make a difference. #purgatory

He wasn’t attending the B10 tourney because he was interviewing candidates out west where Nebraska, joined the B10, hired Riley and Frost. Can’t beleive the dots haven’t been connected but the hatred for Moos by some is unwarranted. If you don’t think he has spoken to Altman and Hoiberg than I can’t help you understand this process. He couldn’t be at the B10 tourney because he was busy working on the long term success of Nebraska basketball. Laugh, but it’s true

29 minutes ago, DOATHLON said:

He wasn’t attending the B10 tourney because he was interviewing candidates out west where Nebraska, joined the B10, hired Riley and Frost. Can’t beleive the dots haven’t been connected but the hatred for Moos by some is unwarranted. If you don’t think he has spoken to Altman and Hoiberg than I can’t help you understand this process. He couldn’t be at the B10 tourney because he was busy working on the long term success of Nebraska basketball. Laugh, but it’s true

Are you suggesting he talked to Hoiberg while he was out west?  Because I thought Fred was at the tournament watching his son's games?   And I heard you have to travel to California 2-3 days before any event occurs out there, so I don't see how Fred could have gotten out there ?.   But, hoping it happened....

Sort of a depressing thread and board in general today. Much as I would like to pontificate, I will stick with my statement of last week that the AD should have made his call when he gave his momentous (non)statement then and that he should have declined the invitation to the NIT. With that said, now that we are in, let's just roll out the ball and  hope we win every game we play in the tournament. It is obvious that nothing will get done regarding next year's team until the season ends and our present players and coaches deserve nothing less that our full support.  

1 hour ago, colhusker said:

Do any of us really think that 7 to 14 days is going to make that much of a difference for the next guy?

No. But what I do think it does is possibly change who the next guy may or may not be. The consensus on this board seems to be a coach with experience that has won. There aren't a whole lot of people that fit that criteria. And the ones that do usually have choices. And one of the factors will always be "Who's my boss going to be and do I want to work for that person?" And its my belief this whole situation makes the answer to that question much more likely a negative check when a candidate weighs if they take this job.

50 minutes ago, DOATHLON said:

No one at all that I can recall thinks he hasn't talked to Altman or Hoiberg or any other coaches this year or last year. 

Not to say that we won't hire someone from our 'dream list' but the dots you're presenting here are that of an AD who currently has no one lined up as the next coach so let's hope I can laugh because it's not true.