Gutless statement from Moos

PimpMario

23 minutes ago, HB said:

With regard to Collier, I don't think it was a case if not going after them, but rather, that they weren't interested.   Self was the "next big hire" then,  and we went after him hard.   With Doc we were obviously limited due to the August timing.  But prior to that, Pedey was going hard at Majerus.  

We also went after Mike Montgomery --- I think.

On 3/15/2019 at 8:49 PM, TimSmiles said:

Moos had very little to do with getting frost here. Frost was coming here as long as eichorst wasn't here. this was his dream job. matt davison arguably did more to get frost than moos did. if moos screws up this hire, might as well make davison the AD.

That is 1000% false.

15 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

We also went after Mike Montgomery --- I think.

Actually, Mike Montgomery went after us. Devaney wasn't interested and hired Danny Nee instead. 

And, as I recall, Nee made it clear we weren't his first option and he slow-played us to see if he could get an offer from, I believe, Kansas State. But that job went to Lon Kruger and Devaney held the offer for Nee even though Montgomery actually wanted the job as his first pick.

That might have been the most unfortunate hiring decision of the Devaney era.

5 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Actually, Mike Montgomery went after us. Devaney wasn't interested and hired Danny Nee instead. 

And, as I recall, Nee made it clear we weren't his first option and he slow-played us to see if he could get an offer from, I believe, Kansas State. But that job went to Lon Kruger and Devaney held the offer for Nee even though Montgomery actually wanted the job as his first pick.

Kinda wild, looking back 33 years & seeing how MM transformed Stanford into a very solid hoops program..... and NU has kept going back to same well of 6-year-itches of middling basketball these past 20+ years.

1 minute ago, AuroranHusker said:

Kinda wild, looking back 33 years & seeing how MM transformed Stanford into a very solid hoops program..... and NU has kept going back to same well of 6-year-itches of middling basketball these past 20+ years.

Nee wasn't horrible but he had some significant limitations, both personally and professionally. Mike Montgomery was a better coach, IMO, and probably a better ambassador for his program. You have to wonder where we might be today if the Bobfather had told Nee to pound sand after he initially rejected us and had hired Montgomery instead.

12 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Close.  It was Wichita State.   Insiders say Danny had a verbal from the WSU AD, and then Danny  turned down Devaney.   The WSU AD then got some pressure and rescinded the offer.  Danny called The Bobfsther back and the rest is history.  My memory is that Eddie Fogler got the WSU job instead of Danny.  

Edited by HB

Just now, HB said:

Close.  It was Wichita State.   Insiders say Danny had a verbal from the WSU AD, and then Danny  turned down Delaney.   The WSU AD then got some pressure and rescinded the offer.  Danny called The Bobfsther bs k and the rest is history.  My memory is that Eddie Fogler got the WSU job instead of Danny.  

I knew if anyone could fill in the gaps in my memory on this one, you'd be able to do it. Thanks for the correction. I had the right state, at least.

8 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Nee wasn't horrible but he had some significant limitations, both personally and professionally. Mike Montgomery was a better coach, IMO, and probably a better ambassador for his program. You have to wonder where we might be today if the Bobfather had told Nee to pound sand after he initially rejected us and had hired Montgomery instead.

Nee was a good quote, mostly. His grit was commendable, but his best coaching was by his right-hand man, Gary Bargen. And his lead recruiter, Jimmy Williams, over his career hasn't entirely carried himself as white as snow, if you catch my drift.

?

Edited by AuroranHusker

This entire thread proves what I've been saying for a long time on here, that Nebraska fans are constantly looking to have their ego stroked. Overly sensitive to any perceived slights.

Bill Moos wasn't at BIG Tourny for a very good reason,,,family. Is that something we believe in here at Nebraska or is just something we offer lip service? I can't believe people are actually question this.

All this whining about what he said? Really? He made a statement about TM  future which under these circumstances was understandable. 

Tim Miles is going to be let go from Nebraska. That is a fact. Bill Moos will make the hire. That is a fact. Will he do better than the past 3 AD's at hiring a coach? That is yet to be seen.

We do know that is extremely difficult to get a good coach to come here. We have tried and fallen flat despite our best efforts. Call it bad luck or whatever. 

I'm glad that Moos isn't going to fire Miles before the end of the season like I have seen suggested elsewhere. I want to see this group finish out the season on a strong note and will be supporting them all the way.

5 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

This entire thread proves what I've been saying for a long time on here, that Nebraska fans are constantly looking to have their ego stroked. Overly sensitive to any perceived slights.

Bill Moos wasn't at BIG Tourny for a very good reason,,,family. Is that something we believe in here at Nebraska or is just something we offer lip service? I can't believe people are actually question this.

All this whining about what he said? Really? He made a statement about TM  future which under these circumstances was understandable. 

Tim Miles is going to be let go from Nebraska. That is a fact. Bill Moos will make the hire. That is a fact. Will he do better than the past 3 AD's at hiring a coach? That is yet to be seen.

We do know that is extremely difficult to get a good coach to come here. We have tried and fallen flat despite our best efforts. Call it bad luck or whatever. 

I'm glad that Moos isn't going to fire Miles before the end of the season like I have seen suggested elsewhere. I want to see this group finish out the season on a strong note and will be supporting them all the way.

Here's a few problems with Moos going to the Cal game given it was a spring game, and you've already been getting heat for neglecting the basketball team.   So, I don't think most fans cared about visiting his family.  The problem was leaving Wednesday for a Saturday game.  It looks bad.  Like, he thought we were going to lose and he could fire Miles, tonight.  The statement could have been made before the Big Ten tournament.   Plus, how many Nebraska football games will he make compared to California games? 

36 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Nee was a good quote, mostly. His grit was commendable, but his best coaching was by his right-hand man, Gary Bargen. And his lead recruiter, Jimmy Williams, over his career hasn't entirely carried himself as white as snow, if you catch my drift.

?

Danny was an excellent recruiter as well.  He was the lead recruiter for Digger and Notre Dame.  

6 minutes ago, twinswingohuskers said:

I knew a guy that was in college at the time and worked with the basketball team when Nee was there.   He often told us that if the NCAA came around we were toast.

Yeah, I have heard some pretty juicy rumors as well.  

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

I don't mean this as a knock on Montgomery at all, great coach...but Stanford athletics transformed itself in the last 30 years. He had a big hand, others did, too, but Stanford's pretty great at everything now because it figured out a way to sell itself, really well, to recruits with its campus and its academics. It's coalesced in almost every sport on that campus and that all started in the 80s. 

What makes it harder in men's hoops right now is the whole Pac-12 ecosystem has fallen apart on several fronts. 

1 hour ago, brfrad said:

Here's a few problems with Moos going to the Cal game given it was a spring game, and you've already been getting heat for neglecting the basketball team.   So, I don't think most fans cared about visiting his family.  The problem was leaving Wednesday for a Saturday game.  It looks bad.  Like, he thought we were going to lose and he could fire Miles, tonight.  The statement could have been made before the Big Ten tournament.   Plus, how many Nebraska football games will he make compared to California games? 

Or maybe he was headed to Vegas to talk to some potential candidates if his top candidate doesn’t work out

1 hour ago, brfrad said:

It looks bad for him to leave on Wednesday to go to his sons spring game on Saturday? Did you or anyone consider that he wanted to spend time with family and not just pop in for the game and leave. I highly doubt it because you all think everything he does is completely wrong. Him attending a game or not doesn't mean anything. Hopefully you understand the importance of him attending a football vs a basketball game, the least of which is that all of this largess at the AD and University is because of the football program. As an FYI he did miss a Husker Football game for family reasons.

From my view he is being transparent with not only TM but also with the fan base. Is there any doubt in anybody's mind where we currently stand? 

Seems harsh for TM but it is also honest. TM is a big boy. 

My own conspiratorial mind wants to know why basketball players are commenting on the AD when I have never heard them comment previously.

9 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

It looks bad for him to leave on Wednesday to go to his sons spring game on Saturday? Did you or anyone consider that he wanted to spend time with family and not just pop in for the game and leave. I highly doubt it because you all think everything he does is completely wrong. Him attending a game or not doesn't mean anything. Hopefully you understand the importance of him attending a football vs a basketball game, the least of which is that all of this largess at the AD and University is because of the football program. As an FYI he did miss a Husker Football game for family reasons.

From my view he is being transparent with not only TM but also with the fan base. Is there any doubt in anybody's mind where we currently stand? 

Seems harsh for TM but it is also honest. TM is a big boy. 

My own conspiratorial mind wants to know why basketball players are commenting on the AD when I have never heard them comment previously.

It’s a culture thing. And that culture is focused on things other than winning basketball.

26 minutes ago, swmckewon said:

I don't mean this as a knock on Montgomery at all, great coach...but Stanford athletics transformed itself in the last 30 years. He had a big hand, others did, too, but Stanford's pretty great at everything now because it figured out a way to sell itself, really well, to recruits with its campus and its academics. It's coalesced in almost every sport on that campus and that all started in the 80s. 

What makes it harder in men's hoops right now is the whole Pac-12 ecosystem has fallen apart on several fronts. 

Stanford athletics is a thing to behold, no doubt, in the "All-Sports Trophy," whatever it's called now. 

16 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Spitballing, but because we had an AD who actually attended games and spent time around the program?

And it doesn't seem all that transparent to me to leave the staff in the dark as to what the contents of that announcement would be. Chris Heady's entire article about it is pretty much a testament to how non-transparent it was.

It looks bad to attend a Wednesday night game and then leave when it would have been just as easy to go after an afternoon game Thursday (played at noon Pacific time -- he literally would have had to shift his flight a matter of a couple hours). Doing what he did gives the appearance that he was only there to fire him after we lost. If that was just message board angst it'd be one thing, but it isn't; that's the storyline his actions led to, which was reported on both locally and nationally.

Look, I don't like Bill Moos for a lot of reasons. You do, and that's fine. But objectively speaking, this whole ordeal was a mess of his own making. He's paid handsomely to do the exact opposite of what he did in the last three days, which is to make Nebraska Athletics look foolish on a national level, as evidenced by several well-known pundits weighing in on it when it would have been just as easy not to.

3 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

Spitballing, but because we had an AD who actually attended games and spent time around the program?

And it doesn't seem all that transparent to me to leave the staff in the dark as to what the contents of that announcement would be. Chris Heady's entire article about it is pretty much a testament to how non-transparent it was.

It looks bad to attend a Wednesday night game and then leave when it would have been just as easy to go after an afternoon game Thursday (played at noon Pacific time -- he literally would have had to shift his flight a matter of a couple hours). Doing what he did gives the appearance that he was only there to fire him after we lost. If that was just message board angst it'd be one thing, but it isn't; that's the storyline his actions led to, which was reported on both locally and nationally.

Look, I don't like Bill Moos for a lot of reasons. You do, and that's fine. But objectively speaking, this whole ordeal was a mess of his own making. He's paid handsomely to do the exact opposite of what he did in the last three days, which is to make Nebraska Athletics look foolish on a national level, as evidenced by several well-known pundits weighing in on it when it would have been just as easy not to.

So what is wrong if he was there to fire him and had travel plans already? He has an AD in charge of basketball who can take all the other duties. But Bill was going to be the one to tell him he’s done. When that changed Bill had other things to do and places to go.

Why do we care what Tim Miles best friends say on tv? Are they supposed to say anything different?

It’s obvious, Moos and Miles don’t get along. That usually doesn’t last in a working environment. People on this board act like a new AD has never come in and fired a head coach so he can get someone in there who is “his guy” and of his choosing.

I am interested to hear what else Bill has done to you to make you dislike him so much?