Gutless statement from Moos

PimpMario

22 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Minnesota made a “splash hire” with Tubby Smith and he had a losing Conference record every year he was there. Look at the way Tim interacts with his players, represents this program and the State. Can you put a dollar amount on that? It’s a bottom line business, but I’d rather roll with him and this roster moving forward and than assume more money & a “bigger” name is a cure all.

Tubby Smith made the big dance 3 out of 6 years at Minnesota and won a game in the big dance.  That sounds a hell of a lot better to me than rolling with a guy who hasn’t won one postseason game(Ncaa/nit/cbi/cit) as a D-1 coach. Maybe this will be the year Tim Miles gets on the board. 

43 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Minnesota made a “splash hire” with Tubby Smith and he had a losing Conference record every year he was there. Look at the way Tim interacts with his players, represents this program and the State. Can you put a dollar amount on that? It’s a bottom line business, but I’d rather roll with him and this roster moving forward and than assume more money & a “bigger” name is a cure all.

We could say the same about Doc. Making NCAA tournaments and having a good dude as a coach aren’t mutually exclusive. 

1 hour ago, hhcscott said:

If I'm the AD,  LAST YEAR, I sit down and work out a plan, ask "What do you need?" agree to a real extension but reduce/eliminate the termination buyout. I let him bring in consultants and find veteran mentors. As the AD, I say positive things every week, especially during 11 and 2, but even during the slide. I embrace Miles and spare no expense to make sure there is every chance to succeed. If, at the end of the season, the record is unacceptable then I wish him well and move on, offering Tim the position of associate Athletic Director for Basketball.

When can you start?

11 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Tubby Smith made the big dance 3 out of 6 years at Minnesota and won a game in the big dance.  That sounds a hell of a lot better to me than rolling with a guy who hasn’t won one postseason game(Ncaa/nit/cbi/cit) as a D-1 coach. Maybe this will be the year Tim Miles gets on the board. 

What you say is true & yes I’d certainly take those victories here.But all the “success” Tubby had at Minnesota got him was a pink slip. And you know why? Because they thought they could do better, so they went out and hired the Coach from Florida Atlantic(?!) a hire that was roundly panned. Richard was seen as a complete lightweight,  and endured some real lean years, but they stuck with him & now he might sneak in the Dance this time. Point being, I rather stick with a known commodity whose best years, I believe are ahead of him.

Edited by Handy Johnson

3 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

All the “success” Tubby had at Minnesota got him a pink slip. And you know why? Because they thought they could do better, so they went out and hired the Coach from Florida Atlantic, a hire that was roundly panned. Richard has endured some real lean years, but they stuck with him & now he might sneak in the Dance this time. Point being, I rather stick with a known commodity whose best years, I believe are ahead of him.

Out of curiosity if you had the choice of hiring Hoiberg or keeping Miles what would you choose? 

I’d stick with Tim. I like Fred, I lived in the Twin Cities when he played for the Wolves and there was a time when THEY wanted him to Coach there too. I understand the fascination, but this past week should’ve reminded a lot of us why we liked Tim in the first place...

11 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

I’d stick with Tim. I like Fred, I lived in the Twin Cities when he played for the Wolves and there was a time when THEY wanted him to Coach there too. I understand the fascination, but this past week should’ve reminded a lot of us why we liked Tim in the first place...

I just wanted to see if we would ever see eye to eye, but it looks like we never will (which is fine, to each their own). I feel like if we have a chance at Hoiberg, we take it. I feel like he’s has the make up to take us to a Sweet 16.

On 3/16/2019 at 12:17 AM, Handy Johnson said:

Peter’s statement is beyond ridiculous. YOU’RE the AD Bill, you need to be at the Bowl game, Volleyball tourney, & March Madness, period. He hides behind that laughable “Spring game” excuse so he wouldn’t be peppered with questions from the National media.

Will be interesting to see if Bill now stops showing up at ever Husker football game if his kids playing. 

37 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Good point. Sounds like a good idea for a running post this fall to keep us busy. (You can only have so many posts about music and movies!)

Lol totally off the main topic, but Friday night I photographed my second concert at PBA!  Was a blast! 

16 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I just wanted to see if we would ever see eye to eye, but it looks like we never will (which is fine, to each their own). I feel like if we have a chance at Hoiberg, we take it. I feel like he’s has the make up to take us to a Sweet 16.

I don't want to be mean, but I have to question the blind faith (or intellegence??) of Handy if he's serious about taking Tim over Hoiberg.  Goodness, I understand loyalty, but when a guy isn't getting the job done, you have to find someone who will.  Tim has done nothing to help himself win his way into the tournament with multiple opportunities to do so.  It's a miracle that we hung on the bubble as long as we did.  I don't know that I have seen a team implode the way this one did in my history of watching NU basketball.  

You just have to expect more.  The he's a nice guy stuff doesn't win you games.  There are way more red flags that have cropped up than reasons to believe he can turn it around.  I'm sure those are well covered in the board's archives.  I watched one of them beat Kansas last night and make the dance.  Can't blame the kid for the choice he made, looks like he made the right choice.

I guess a lot of us have been through the next big hire at basketball coach, that is going to take us to the top.    It seems as though every 7 years or so we go through the same thing, and maybe some of us are thinking that at Nebraska in basketball anyway 7 years isn't long enough to make the recruiting contacts as well as get the right assistant coaches.  I'm not saying Miles is the answer, but it seems all we do is rinse and repeat with basketball..   

19 minutes ago, twinswingohuskers said:

I guess a lot of us have been through the next big hire at basketball coach, that is going to take us to the top.    It seems as though every 7 years or so we go through the same thing, and maybe some of us are thinking that at Nebraska in basketball anyway 7 years isn't long enough to make the recruiting contacts as well as get the right assistant coaches.  I'm not saying Miles is the answer, but it seems all we do is rinse and repeat with basketball..   

Wait... Collier, Sadler, and Miles were "the next big hire"? If I recall they weren't the top options available. We had to go after scraps and hired Sadler in August! Miles was an up-and-comer who was known for building programs, but he wasn't the next big thing.

If we went after the next best hire this time around, there's a higher probably that we could start seeing more success here.

39 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Wait... Collier, Sadler, and Miles were "the next big hire"? If I recall they weren't the top options available. We had to go after scraps and hired Sadler in August! Miles was an up-and-comer who was known for building programs, but he wasn't the next big thing.

If we went after the next best hire this time around, there's a higher probably that we could start seeing more success here.

With regard to Collier, I don't think it was a case if not going after them, but rather, that they weren't interested.   Self was the "next big hire" then,  and we went after him hard.   With Doc we were obviously limited due to the August timing.  But prior to that, Pedey was going hard at Majerus.