Gutless statement from Moos

PimpMario

Also for all intents and purposes Marc Boehm has been acting AD for hoops for quite some time ... the restructuring has changed that. Moos is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't in this situation. I think his statement could've included at least an acknowledgment of the run in the tourney, but otherwise it's following his typical policy of not making decisions (or making decisions public) during the season. People here are emotional about things ... fans are emotional right now too ... logic goes out the window and I imagine the administration knows that. You open yourself up to a lot more backlash by making a decision right now. Fire him and refuse an NIT bid and people cry out because we had a nice run in the tourney in Chicago and didn't get to follow it up at all. No win situation ...

I think the University admin would like to see a coaching change ... I also think they are ready to pony up and put a lot more emphasis on hoops success (all arguments about lack of support in past do hold some water) ... but I don't think they feel like Miles is the guy they want for this next level of support increase (pay, etc.). No, it's probably not fair, but it's just how it is right now. Yes, he's been a bit left in the lurch the last few years.

Here is some irony.  Assuming Miles coaches the team in the NIT and goes on a run, we could end the season with 22 wins by making it to MSG or 23 by winning the whole dang thing.  Didn't Moos say he wanted to see consistency in the program before the season?  I say the last statement tongue and cheek but I do wonder if Moos would prefer to not have those optics considering he also said it wasn't an NCAA or bust situation for Miles.

1 minute ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

Here is some irony.  Assuming Miles coaches the team in the NIT and goes on a run, we could end the season with 22 wins by making it to MSG or 23 by winning the whole dang thing.  Didn't Moos say he wanted to see consistency in the program before the season?  I say the last statement tongue and cheek but I do wonder if Moos would prefer to not have those optics considering he also said it wasn't an NCAA or bust situation for Miles.

If consistency was the dealbreaker, Miles will be fired. The team in the B1G tournament was good enough to dance but they went 2-11 during a critical stretch and completely pissed away any of those hopes. Just like we followed up our only other good season with a giant turd.  Miles has done good things, but consistency certainly isn't one of them.

2 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Miles is not fireable because we had 12K fans show up down the stretch? 

Do people really believe that fans show up to watch Nebrasketball because of Tim Miles and not because we still have a hell of an arena to watch a game?

Never have I said ‘wow this arena is so cool, this makes me want to go to a game’ IMO new isn’t always better.  Much like houses, arenas that are brand new have zero character. We go to support the great talent that miles brought in. 

Moos is a little b. 

16 minutes ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

Also for all intents and purposes Marc Boehm has been acting AD for hoops for quite some time ... the restructuring has changed that. Moos is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't in this situation. I think his statement could've included at least an acknowledgment of the run in the tourney, but otherwise it's following his typical policy of not making decisions (or making decisions public) during the season. People here are emotional about things ... fans are emotional right now too ... logic goes out the window and I imagine the administration knows that. You open yourself up to a lot more backlash by making a decision right now. Fire him and refuse an NIT bid and people cry out because we had a nice run in the tourney in Chicago and didn't get to follow it up at all. No win situation ...

13 minutes ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

I think the University admin would like to see a coaching change ... I also think they are ready to pony up and put a lot more emphasis on hoops success (all arguments about lack of support in past do hold some water) ... but I don't think they feel like Miles is the guy they want for this next level of support increase (pay, etc.). No, it's probably not fair, but it's just how it is right now. Yes, he's been a bit left in the lurch the last few years.

Your second post seems to indicate the no win situation(s) that Moos finds himself in from your first post are of his own creation. 

4 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Your second post seems to indicate the no win situation(s) that Moos finds himself in from your first post are of his own creation. 

Only if you mean it's Moos solely who's involved ... Miles himself said there are people above that have opinions too and likely when hiring Moos filled him in on those sentiments as well. When I say the admin ... I mean Bounds and Green as well.

7 minutes ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

Only if you mean it's Moos solely who's involved ... Miles himself said there are people above that have opinions too and likely when hiring Moos filled him in on those sentiments as well. When I say the admin ... I mean Bounds and Green as well.

Not really. If someone higher than Moos on the org chart wants to make a change at basketball coach that is what it is. You're still the AD and you manage the day to day for the athletic department. Thus, if you operate to where it seems clearly obvious to anyone paying attention where you want to go with the coach plus have the local papers ask the admin if you're going to be fired, this is a giant microscope of your own making.

22 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Not really. If someone higher than Moos on the org chart wants to make a change at basketball coach that is what it is. You're still the AD and you manage the day to day for the athletic department. Thus, if you operate to where it seems clearly obvious to anyone paying attention where you want to go with the coach plus have the local papers ask the admin if you're going to be fired, this is a giant microscope of your own making.

We are going to have to agree to disagree ... there's not really a better way to handle this for the most part ... it's a difficult situation.

3 hours ago, Huskerone said:

You want to know why Nebraska is never any good in basketball, look right at the administrations.  From the coaches they hire, to the administration support for the coaches (i.e. tim miles the last two years), I'll even throw out the Roburt Sallie mess (which doesn't happen if he is a football player).  When our administration starts to take our basketball program seriously, then I will.  Rant done.

Long live Roburt Sallie

2 hours ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

If you need another example that getting hit in the head repeatedly is detrimental to your long term health, well, here you go.

Peter’s statement is beyond ridiculous. YOU’RE the AD Bill, you need to be at the Bowl game, Volleyball tourney, & March Madness, period. He hides behind that laughable “Spring game” excuse so he wouldn’t be peppered with questions from the National media.

2 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

That's pretty much how I see it. People complained he went to see his freakin' son in college, heaven forbid. Man, I say let the guy decide. And let's go from there. Yeah, I know, the optics look weird. Who cares.... let's get this thing going. Nebrasketball used to kick a$$ and I know that the Huskers can work their way back there, just like football can and, I believe, will. I have witnessed it being done at Wisconsin, of all places.

LET'S GO, BIG RED !!! GBR !!!

Edited by AuroranHusker

5 minutes ago, TomEadesSucks said:

Could this possibly be Moos having made up his mind about firing Miles, but allowing him to coach his team through the NIT? 

I don't think a ton of ppl had Nebraska going 3-1 this particular week, so yeah, I think that possibility is certainly a theory I could see being one that's in play, so to speak.

Nebraska had just lost 11 of 13 before this past week, after all. Let's all relish the 3-1 mark. I know I am. Let's get that N.I.T. home game & watch some more action at the Vault. GBR !!!

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

That's pretty much how I see it. People complained he went to see his freakin' son in college, heaven forbid. Man, I say let the guy decide. And let's go from there. Yeah, I know, the optics look weird. Who cares.... let's get this thing going. Nebrasketball used to kick a$$ and I know that the Huskers can work their way back there, just like football can and, I believe, will. I have witnessed it being done at Wisconsin, of all places.

LET'S GO, BIG RED !!! GBR !!!

Of course he could have watched our games and watched his son.   Not hard to catch a flight from Chicago to NoCal.  Not that big a deal and in the long run it shouldn't  matter much, but it was tone deaf to a need to show a total commitment to hoops here.  In the end throwing $$ and landing a great coach would make this a minor  and easily forgiven offense--but we've been doing crap like this for too long.

5 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

Amen. I'm all about family first -- and him missing a game for his daughter's wedding actually makes me think MORE highly of him. I wouldn't have even minded him missing Friday's game if need be. But you really mean to tell me he couldn't have attended a basketball game on Thursday afternoon and flew out right afterward?

Instead, only showing up to the Rutgers game gives the appearance not of support but of an expected loss, which AGAIN he continues to hammer away at. I work in PR. Last season's statement of a need for consistency, and pointing out the 14-15 season right after one of our winningest seasons in school history, used the language of a poor expected outcome.

Agree with all your points. 

Anyone telling you they thought Nebraska would win 3 of 4 this week is a liar, so I understand Moos buying a ticket, but the spring game is today. An individual with his resources could easily have rebooked to show his complete support for his coach and team. It looks good even if you want Tim gone, because the next guy sees how you stand by the program.

I'm fine with trying to head off the questions about the coaching decision, but the lack of any congratulations in the release shows opposition to what the team is trying to accomplish.

On that note, if Miles was in an ultimatum situation and was being directed through mandate or manipulation to coach/rotate against his own judgment then I can't blame THIS season on him. If the inferences made by some in the punditry, and Kent's cryptic tweet indicates that Miles was hindered from doing his job, then the failure is on the administration.

Coach Miles has not achieved the success we all thought everyone was rooting for, but if anyone out there with an N on their lapel limited his chances overtly or covertly they should be out.

6 hours ago, HB said:

Of course he could have watched our games and watched his son.   Not hard to catch a flight from Chicago to NoCal.  Not that big a deal and in the long run it shouldn't  matter much, but it was tone deaf to a need to show a total commitment to hoops here.  In the end throwing $$ and landing a great coach would make this a minor  and easily forgiven offense--but we've been doing crap like this for too long.

Yeah, I realize it's tone deaf... I mentioned the poor optics. It doesn't matter, long-term. It's not worth getting all worked up over. Nebraska has historically treated hoops like the red-headed step child. It's just the reality that NU is a football school. Never mind the fact that other programs have successfully done both FB & BB 'right.' I had hoped it could be done, let's wait & see what's next... GBR !!!

24 minutes ago, hhcscott said:

If the inferences made by some in the punditry, and Kent's cryptic tweet indicates that Miles was hindered from doing his job, then the failure is on the administration.

Jeez, I first read that and thought Ernie Kent was tweeting about the job!

@!*)$*#$)*! 

OK, now I get it.

1 hour ago, ladyhusker said:

This is why. The man is utterly incompetent when it comes to even giving the impression of leadership, and my criticism extends to those in his communications division putting out this nonsense.

Case in point: We're going to put a statement 45 minutes after the game because that gives everyone a chance to talk to the media first. Makes sense, right.  You then literally say that a statement is going to be put out in 45 minutes while everyone is talking to the media and you don't tell your coach what very well seems to be about him what the statement will be.  You've taken what is nothing more than an innocuous statement and now you have a Chris Heady article about the 35 minutes everyone sat twisting in the wind so yesterday is much bigger than message board angst.  Cheese and rice.

Case in point: We're going to put a statement 45 minutes after the game because that gives everyone a chance to talk to the media first. Makes sense, right.  You then literally say that a statement is going to be put out in 45 minutes while everyone is talking to the media and you don't tell your coach what very well seems to be about him what the statement will be.  You've taken what is nothing more than an innocuous statement and now you have a Chris Heady article about the 35 minutes everyone sat twisting in the wind so yesterday is much bigger than message board angst.  Cheese and rice.
Not just an article -- an objectively well-written article that paints you as a villain who is putting unnecessary stress on your coach, his staff, and their families, while setting up the locker room against you. Meanwhile you can't even be further quoted because you're off hanging out in California. Heck of a "let them eat cake" moment for literally no reason.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ladyhusker said:

Amen. I'm all about family first -- and him missing a game for his daughter's wedding actually makes me think MORE highly of him. I wouldn't have even minded him missing Friday's game if need be. But you really mean to tell me he couldn't have attended a basketball game on Thursday afternoon and flew out right afterward?

I've made it pretty clear I'm no Bill Moos fan. This is why. The man is utterly incompetent when it comes to even giving the impression of leadership, and my criticism extends to those in his communications division putting out this nonsense. No matter what he does now, he has eroded the fanbase's trust with his inconsistent policies and disinterest in this program, and created his own conundrum with his visible lack of support for his current staff. To me, both as a fan and someone who does this for a living, his handling of the basketball program is absolutely inexcusable. It isn't that hard to at least give the impression that you'd prefer to see your team win. (I still recall Sipple writing that someone made a "he better get this back on track" statement in December -- WHO in their right mind would say something like that, at that point, to one of the state's most well-known columnists? I remember thinking at the time that no matter how much I dislike Creighton, you would NEVER hear Rasmussen or his staff say something like that.) Instead, he (and his staff of "communications" buffoons) made themselves absolute laughingstocks and it is mind-boggling to me how poorly they have handled not just this situation, but the entire last 365 days.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Wait until you hear of his  interaction (or lack thereof) with women's basketball.  ?