uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 34 - Big Ten Tournament vs. Wisconsin

uneblinstu

4 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

Good God, how do the people surrounding Bill Moos have jobs? Last year's rollout of the non-extension was a massive flop, they somehow forget to offer season ticket holders the opportunity to purchase postseason tickets, and now his "statement" (which, notably, seems to be lacking so much as a "congrats" or "we are so proud of how this team has battled" or any sort of kudos for the fight they've shown) has national pundits calling him a moron for appearing to let Barry Collier determine the future of our coaching staff -- after opting to skip the game yesterday and today? Forget the lack of leadership he himself is showing here (which is substantial on its own), does he not have a contingent of people responsible for PR? The incompetence here is astounding.

Nebraska is a football school. It's rather evident. And also appalling that NU can't get both 'right.'

2 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

it's unfair to judge moos at this point, but if he has no coach lined up after spending the whole weekend in california then this will be real bad.

No one is judging Moos on his final decision.  He deserves judgement on his handling of this decision so far.

3 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

No one is judging Moos on his final decision.  He deserves judgement on his handling of this decision so far.

if he came to an agreement with someone like hoiberg last week, then i don't care if he missed the big ten tournament.

it was definitely pointless to release that statement though.

First, like everyone else said, really proud of the way the guys battled. The game plan was great, the guys executed it perfectly on defense. Just didn't have the legs to make key jump shots late. Was a lot of fun seeing us make Happ play like garbage.

Iverson has improved so much, and he was the difference today. Along with the banked-in 3 of course. Disgusting.

Now on the statement. I have no idea what the statement means, or why it was made the way it was, but I'll play devil's advocate here. 

1. I imagine Miles is done, but Moos wants to let the players enjoy playing in the NIT and let Miles coach it without having an announced firing hanging over it. Thin reason, but possible. If this is the case, he better have someone lined up because it could be going for another 2 1/2 weeks. And what if the unthinkable happens and they win it? 
  2. He truly is waiting to see how they do in the NIT to make a final decision. Horrible idea, but possible.
  3. He wants to tell MIles in person, but felt pressured to make some sort of statement today. Weird, but possible. Would've been better to just say, I'll meet with Miles on Sunday and make a statement then.
  4. He has someone on the hook, but their season is still going, so we're going to get this awkward limbo situation, as Moos doesn't want the job sitting open till the new coach's season is over and he's ready to be announced right after the firing. Highly unlikely, but possible. At least if it's this one, that rules out Ernie Kent. (Always looking on the bright side.) 

Regardless, part of the blame for this weirdness has to go to our favorite Asst AD for basketball too, right? Doesn't he have to have a better feel for the pulse of hoops fans/media/players than his boss and then tell his boss, "Bill, this is a terrible idea." That doesn't excuse Moos from blame, but this is where an AD could use some help from his right-hand man, not a yes man.

Edited by throwback

34 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

Moos is getting destroyed. Holy hell. 

He's earned it. I think we needed to make a change. But this is not how to do it. And I love that Tim and the guys made it hard. 

Moos needed to just say we'll get back with you if we have anything to say. Have a nice weekend. 

Now it looks like an episode of the Sopranos. 

42 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

Good God, how do the people surrounding Bill Moos have jobs? Last year's rollout of the non-extension was a massive flop, they somehow forget to offer season ticket holders the opportunity to purchase postseason tickets, and now his "statement" (which, notably, seems to be lacking so much as a "congrats" or "we are so proud of how this team has battled" or any sort of kudos for the fight they've shown) has national pundits calling him a moron for appearing to let Barry Collier determine the future of our coaching staff -- after opting to skip the game yesterday and today? Forget the lack of leadership he himself is showing here (which is substantial on its own), does he not have a contingent of people responsible for PR? The incompetence here is astounding.

Maybe it was a drunk tweet that his handlers didn't know about?  

What I think is unfair is that if you know you are firing Miles, then just fire him sooner than later so he can find another gig, if he wants one, and before they all get filled in the coming weeks.  I know that Miles is under contract and obligated to coach as required by his contract.  However, if you are holding him just to buy time or let him finish the season in the NIT, that just seems like bad business.  Fire him and name Lewis interim coach if Miles is gone regardless.  Miles deserves better than this.  He has been nothing but classy and has never done anything to embarrass the University...read between the lines on that one.  This was so predictable of an administration that has given two shits about this team and coaching staff for the last couple seasons.

14 minutes ago, BjoeHusker said:

My opinion: Unless Moos has a "homerun hire", I'd keep Miles.  Not looking forward to going the "up and coming coach from a mid major program" again.  Miles did some of his best coaching these past three games.  

I agree.  I know people want it faster and i agree with those that say we could be consistently a much stronger program, but as AD I would support a good dude that is filling the place and starting to consistently "knock on the door" of the breakthrough we need for our program.

I don't want to spin the mid-major coaching wheel for another build, our cupboard is not bare.

1 hour ago, throwback said:

First, like everyone else said, really proud of the way the guys battled. The game plan was great, the guys executed it perfectly on defense. Just didn't have the legs to make key jump shots late. Was a lot of fun seeing us make Happ play like garbage.

Iverson has improved so much, and he was the difference today. Along with the banked-in 3 of course. Disgusting.

Now on the statement. I have no idea what the statement means, or why it was made the way it was, but I'll play devil's advocate here. 

1. I imagine Miles is done, but Moos wants to let the players enjoy playing in the NIT and let Miles coach it without having an announced firing hanging over it. Thin reason, but possible. If this is the case, he better have someone lined up because it could be going for another 2 1/2 weeks. And what if the unthinkable happens and they win it? 
  2. He truly is waiting to see how they do in the NIT to make a final decision. Horrible idea, but possible.
  3. He wants to tell MIles in person, but felt pressured to make some sort of statement today. Weird, but possible. Would've been better to just say, I'll meet with Miles on Sunday and make a statement then.
  4. He has someone on the hook, but their season is still going, so we're going to get this awkward limbo situation, as Moos doesn't want the job sitting open till the new coach's season is over and he's ready to be announced right after the firing. Highly unlikely, but possible. At least if it's this one, that rules out Ernie Kent. (Always looking on the bright side.) 

Regardless, part of the blame for this weirdness has to go to our favorite Asst AD for basketball too, right? Doesn't he have to have a better feel for the pulse of hoops fans/media/players than his boss and then tell his boss, "Bill, this is a terrible idea." That doesn't excuse Moos from blame, but this is where an AD could use some help from his right-hand man, not a yes man.

He has survived a long time being a yes man....wish it would be about the school, not him.

2 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

I have to say, I don't know why everyone is getting worked up about Bill Moos' statement.  Seems like he's respecting the possibility that our season is not done.  He's between a rock and a hard place over-communicating or under-communicating.

I also am perplexed by Miles' critics  who say "he doesn't relate with his players".  Seems pretty far-fetched for a pretty relate-able guy.  And the quote above doesn't support that theory either.

2 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

it's unfair to judge moos at this point, but if he has no coach lined up after spending the whole weekend in california then this will be real bad.

I've seen enough of Moos since he walked in the door to make a judgement. My grade for him has fallen to an F. If he keeps up at this pace he will earn an F -.