I've seen enough.

2 minutes ago, LK1 said:

The B1G performed well in the NCAAT last year.  The metrics only give credit to the non-con.  They still have no way of measuring the unbelievable coaching in the B1G from the start to the end of a season.  We beat the shit out of the runner up.  4 of the 9 Q1 losses were to ranked teams, not just Q1.  We beat two ranked teams at home and barely lost to KU.  

Yet we only beat 1 team last season who actually made the tournament. And this season it will likely be 2-3.

10 minutes ago, LK1 said:

The B1G performed well in the NCAAT last year.  The metrics only give credit to the non-con.  They still have no way of measuring the unbelievable coaching in the B1G from the start to the end of a season.  We beat the shit out of the runner up.  4 of the 9 Q1 losses were to ranked teams, not just Q1.  We beat two ranked teams at home and barely lost to KU.  

This season, the B1G had coaching and talent/experience across the board.  Every win was a good win and no loss was a bad loss.  

But I'll bite.  Who do you recommend we hire?  

We were 1-3 against the Big Ten teams that made the Big Dance. Again, we definitely got screwed in regards to our big ten schedule. But our overall body of work? 1-9 on the nitty gritty sheet is just not going to get it done.  Neither is 3-13 like we finished this year. You have to be able to beat good teams regardless as to where the games are played.  

I have no idea who is a realistic candidate. If Hoiberg is an actual possibility(I don’t think he is)...he would be a slam dunk. If we strike out on our A/B list then bring back Miles. I am just not in the opinion that he’s the right coach to move the program forward. I don’t buy into some thinking we are a 20 win team next year if Miles is retained. 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

Just now, huskerbaseball13 said:

We were 1-3 against the Big Ten teams that made the Big Dance. Again, we definitely got screwed in regards to our big then schedule. But our overall body of work? 1-9 on the nitty gritty sheet is just not going to get it done.  Neither is 3-13 like we finished this year. 

I have no idea who is a realistic candidate. If Hoiberg is an actually possibility(I don’t think he is)...he would be a slam dunk. If we strike out on our A/B list then bring back Miles. I am just not in the opinion that he’s the right coach to move the program forward. I don’t buy into some thinking we are a 20 win team next year if Miles is retained. 

Totally fair.  I think Miles might have figured out how to keep us on the bubble year in and year out.  We play very, very well at home.  That's a legitimate 2-year trend.  

I'm thinking about the poundings we've received on the block during our losses in the past two seasons.  The hard double team and brilliant subsequent rotations were new during the BTT.  I'm very curious about the freakshow defense I saw for three straight games.  It might be too little too late, but it looked like an actual change in culture--not just a streak.  Like, we give Frost all the credit in the world during a 4-8 run because we saw the difference in the play at the end of the season when some sort of intangible culture change took place.  This was really, really smart and courageous basketball.  I'm not being sentimental, either.  Something transcendental happened. 

If Matta or Hoiberg were available, I'd support the move.  I'm not being sentimental.  

Miles500.png

I made a chart of Tim Miles vs the .500 line.  He is currently at +2.  Then because I saw a lot of losing streaks and poor postseason play I made a chart of that:

milesmiles.png

3 of our B1G tournament wins are against seeds with double digit seeds: Ohio State (10) and Rutgers (14 and 12).  We are 2-7 against teams with a pulse.

20 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

I made a chart of Tim Miles vs the .500 line.  He is currently at +2.  Then because I saw a lot of losing streaks and poor postseason play I made a chart of that:

I'm a big numbers geek. This is great. Thanks for sharing.

Now I wonder how correlated this is to the stock market...

In Nebraska's case specifically, the committee will also discuss the first Minnesota game where Minnesota was closer to full strength, and the fact that Nebraska played Michigan State, Purdue and Ohio State only on the road. The committee will also discuss the transformation of the Nebraska team from the beginning of the year to the end of the year.

Exhibit A: Bruce Rasmussen, 2018.

Translation out of Creighton-ese: They can't see the bubble from where they are. I'm going to recommend to send them on the road in the NIT. Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!

Edited by throwback

2 hours ago, PimpMario said:

Miles500.png

milesmiles.png

3 of our B1G tournament wins are against seeds with double digit seeds: Ohio State (10) and Rutgers (14 and 12).  We are 2-7 against teams with a pulse.

So, do you consider the BTT as post season play?

Lot of 'ifs' and 'buts' in this thread. I get it. I love Miles and supported him to the end, but the reality is we are in a great basketball conference with great facilities and great fan support. We can aim higher than 1 tourney appearance in 7 years and 5 years of playing the first day of the conference tourney. 

2 hours ago, PimpMario said:

Miles500.png

milesmiles.png

He beat Purdue who was a 7 seed., Rutgers a 14 seed, Wisconsin a 6 seed.  Rutgers a 12 seed.  And, Maryland, a 5 seed.  Lost to Ohio State, a 2 seed.  Ohio State, a 5 seed.  Penn State, a 13 seed.  Maryland, a 3 seed.  Penn State, a 13 seed.  Michigan, a 5 seed.  And, Wisconsin, a 4 seed.  As, a higher seed, we were 1 - 4.  Average seed difference, was 1.4.  Average seed difference of victories as lower seed was 4.25.

59 minutes ago, brfrad said:

He beat Purdue who was a 7 seed., Rutgers a 14 seed, Wisconsin a 6 seed.  Rutgers a 12 seed.  And, Maryland, a 5 seed.  Lost to Ohio State, a 2 seed.  Ohio State, a 5 seed.  Penn State, a 13 seed.  Maryland, a 3 seed.  Penn State, a 13 seed.  Michigan, a 5 seed.  And, Wisconsin, a 4 seed.  As, a higher seed, we were 1 - 4.  Average seed difference, was 1.4.  Average seed difference of victories as lower seed was 4.25.

Sorry, I was wrong short osu, WE were the 10 seed, not them.

2 hours ago, Bill Self's Toupee said:

I was surprised to see that we have never been in the top-100 in Offense over the past 7 seasons.

https://hailvarsity.com/s/6436/3-takeaways-from-nebraskas-66-62-loss-to-wisconsin

See the final section by Derek Peterson.  Eye-opening, and a rather big surprise to me.

It sucks, but I largely agree. In some ways, this last tourney run almost highlighted the failures of this program this year. Clearly it wasn't a talent issue. The team we saw the first two months was, in fact, the talent we had. The AM radio version of that just proved it in the B1G run. Miles coached his tail off the last two weeks. But for the previous 6-7, his tail was kicking the rest of him. 

That's just too much volatility from a coach. And I think that's a personality thing with Tim. He giveth. He taketh. 

I still feel sadness over losing Doc, who I really liked personally and was really nice to me the two times I ran into him in Hattiesburg. But I think this one makes me sadder still. But it's time for someone else to get a shot. And I'm sure we'll pick someone who we'll come to appreciate in their own way, too. 

23 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

We were 1-3 against the Big Ten teams that made the Big Dance. Again, we definitely got screwed in regards to our big ten schedule. But our overall body of work? 1-9 on the nitty gritty sheet is just not going to get it done.  Neither is 3-13 like we finished this year. You have to be able to beat good teams regardless as to where the games are played.  

I have no idea who is a realistic candidate. If Hoiberg is an actual possibility(I don’t think he is)...he would be a slam dunk. If we strike out on our A/B list then bring back Miles. I am just not in the opinion that he’s the right coach to move the program forward. I don’t buy into some thinking we are a 20 win team next year if Miles is retained. 

Just to clarify some things, Nebraska is 2-9 on the road, 4-2 in neutral, and 12-5 at home. The Huskers finished the season 5-12 after starting out 13-4.

4 hours ago, Bill Self's Toupee said:

I was surprised to see that we have never been in the top-100 in Offense over the past 7 seasons.

https://hailvarsity.com/s/6436/3-takeaways-from-nebraskas-66-62-loss-to-wisconsin

See the final section by Derek Peterson.  Eye-opening, and a rather big surprise to me.

But Craig Smith was a muffin' offensive GENIUS while he was here and left us high and dry when he took the SDSU job.

7 hours ago, Bill Self's Toupee said:

What numbers is he using? According to KenPom we've been in the top 100 three times if you count this year

image.png