uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 33 - B1G Tournament vs. Maryland

uneblinstu

HUSKER DEUX!

Nebraska 69 - Maryland 61

Huskers play their most complete game in months as the Terrapins turtle 

Capture.JPG

Yeah, baby! That was fun! 

Let's keep it going!

- Glynn and JPJ have been ridiculous. We'll have to keep riding them if we want to keep advancing.

- Gonna need more from Roby, too. Although, he actually played pretty well vs. Smith and Fernando.

- Who says you can't win with kids from Nebraska? Tanner and Trueblood playing huge minutes.

- I think Thor and Johnny should have been playing more. Probably at least over Nana, maybe Harris, too. But considering how little depth we've had all year, they probably should have been on the floor more. Might have saved some of our legs in the middle of the season.

- The Legend of Johnny Trueblood is gonna grow exponentially over the years.

- NU hit shots tonight like other teams usually do in big spots. It's nice to have that on our side for a change.

- I have to think NU is a lock for the NIT now. Maybe even hosting a game... This season is all sorts of weird.

- We can ask all sorts of "what if" questions about this season and they may even be fair. But I say let's just enjoy this. We'll have plenty of time for those later. Who knows, maybe we'll be in for some sort of magic carpet ride the next few days.

View full article

Edited by uneblinstu

Say what you want about our walkons, but two things I notice:

1.  Thor is an elite passer.  Elite.  He made brilliant pass after brilliant pass to put us in great positions. 

2.  Trueblood is an elite team defender.  Elite.  

3.  Tanner owned Bruno.  

----

Other observations:

That's three games in a row where Miles has used timeouts like an actual basketball coach.  Each one has been well-timed with great adjustments in attitude and intensity.  

JPJ, Watson, and Roby all look like who they actually are.  

Great, great, great win.  

I'm avoiding referenda on coach right now. I think that debases the run either way. It's like being in the middle of a great roller coaster ride wondering if the terror drop ride's going to be open after lunch. 

this was fun. everyone's earned this. sometimes you just enjoy the moment. besides, we're not done yet. and if there's a team I like in this draw right now, it's Wisconsin. 

Just now, MichHusker said:

According to the warren Nolan website that win pushed our RPI up 17 spots to 83. We now have 10 quad 1 and 2 wins.  3-12 in Q1, 7-3 in Q2. NET in low 50s, not sure if updated yet

Our Q1 record is probably our biggest drawback, not to mention the fact that we've been stinking up the joint for two months. But being the Cinderella in the tourney right now isn't hurting the cause. I still think anything short of the finals is no way for the NCAA. Two more Q1 wins, however, might make thing more interesting depending on how many other tourney upsets there are. 

26 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Say what you want about our walkons, but two things I notice:

1.  Thor is an elite passer.  Elite.  He made brilliant pass after brilliant pass to put us in great positions. 

2.  Trueblood is an elite team defender.  Elite.  

3.  Tanner owned Bruno.  

----

Other observations:

That's three games in a row where Miles has used timeouts like an actual basketball coach.  Each one has been well-timed with great adjustments in attitude and intensity.  

JPJ, Watson, and Roby all look like who they actually are.  

Great, great, great win.  

Great point on the timeouts. His inability to coach in-game swings is maddening. But he has done better as of late.... and it's really funny that those games happen to be wins.

1 minute ago, tcp said:

Our Q1 record is probably our biggest drawback, not to mention the fact that we've been stinking up the joint for two months. But being the Cinderella in the tourney right now isn't hurting the cause. I still think anything short of the finals is no way for the NCAA. Two more Q1 wins, however, might make thing more interesting depending on how many other tourney upsets there are. 

Probably right. Thomas Beindit, writer for BTPowerhouse thinks one more win puts us on the bubble, although probably outside looking in. Two wins, who knows

Just now, MichHusker said:

Probably right. Thomas Beindit, writer for BTPowerhouse thinks one more win puts us on the bubble, although probably outside looking in. Two wins, who knows

Devils in the details, though, right? Wisconsin I think it possible. It's exactly the downside to double byes. We have two wins on this court an this will be their first game on it. A hot start and we can take it, tired or not. 

It's a game after that that should induce fear. We'll need someone else to upset the other side of the bracket, I think, to have a prayer. 

15 minutes ago, MichHusker said:

According to the warren Nolan website that win pushed our RPI up 17 spots to 83. We now have 10 quad 1 and 2 wins.  3-12 in Q1, 7-3 in Q2. NET in low 50s, not sure if updated yet

From what I can tell, NET and KP correlate quite closely. Atm KP's at 45. Should update by the end of the night, he's pretty on top of things. But this is a very busy time for him. XD

What a great story the Huskers have going!!

I saw very little of today’s game, but I have a question for the foul-rules experts here: I saw Roby’s second foul and was sure it had been called on the Marilyn player—but it wasn’t, and the tv guys seemed to think it was the right call.  Are they right?

Here’s what I saw:

Roby is defending the rim and is inside the low circle.  The Maryland player fakes a shot, and Roby jumps straight up.  The Maryland player then drives into Roby’s legs, undercutting him into a hard fall.  I would have called a foul on the Maryland player—and maybe a flagrant one at that.

So . . . how is that a foul on Roby?

53 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

- I think Thor and Johnny should have been playing more. Probably at least over Nana, maybe Harris, too. But considering how little depth we've had all year, they probably should have been on the floor more. Might have saved some of our legs in the middle of the season.

This bothered me all season long.  I'm not saying they shouldv'e played 15-20 minutes in any game, but there were certainly opportunities during the season to get them a few extra minutes here and there, especially with the number of games that 0 substitutions were made in the 2nd half.

Oh well, just glad they've stepped up when called on.

Edited by NUtball

42 minutes ago, tcp said:

I'm avoiding referenda on coach right now. I think that debases the run either way. It's like being in the middle of a great roller coaster ride wondering if the terror drop ride's going to be open after lunch. 

this was fun. everyone's earned this. sometimes you just enjoy the moment. besides, we're not done yet. and if there's a team I like in this draw right now, it's Wisconsin. 

I think second-guessing the minutes JTB or Thor had during the season does the same thing.

They didn't get minutes then; now they are and are making the most of them. Not gonna look that gift horse in the mouth.