The Path

6 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Rutgers

Maryland

Wisconsin

Michigan State or Indiana or Ohio State

Michigan or Purdue or Iowa or Minnesota or Penn State or Illinios or Northwestern

??

i think you can argue maryland would be the toughest game until the championship game. i'm not overly impressed with wisconsin and mich st is not at full strength.

Just now, TimSmiles said:

i think you can argue maryland would be the toughest game until the championship game. i'm not overly impressed with wisconsin and mich st is not at full strength.

I was going to say.  I think it worked in the sense of us needing fresher legs to beat Maryland than we would to beat Wisconsin.

35 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

FWIW maryland doesn't have a ton of motivation to win the tourney. they are a projected 5 seed. if they won the tournament, they'd probably get a 3 seed. hopefully they come out flat.

Tanner Borchardt has the motivation to slow down Bruno Fernando. We'll see... it is going to be tough with B.F. and Jalen Smith, both.

10 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Here's the link to N.I.T. Stu's "love of the N.I.T." tweet:

I have always believed that the NIT was a better tournament...the NCAA has the better teams,  but I have always liked how the NIT has home games for the first three rounds instead of empty arenas for 50% of the games in the NCAA

10 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

i don't see us accepting an nit bid with the injuries and likely chance that miles is fired by the end of the weekend.

It should be up to the players.  If they want to play, let them.   If they're not fired up about it, then don't.   Even if coach is dismissed before the tournament, Coach Mo or Coach Lewis could coach them.  It wouldn't delay the coaching search one bit,  plus that should be pretty far down the road already if we know what we're doing. 

15 minutes ago, HB said:

It should be up to the players.  If they want to play, let them.   If they're not fired up about it, then don't.   Even if coach is dismissed before the tournament, Coach Mo or Coach Lewis could coach them.  It wouldn't delay the coaching search one bit,  plus that should be pretty far down the road already if we know what we're doing. 

Given our history I worry about the if we know what we're doing part.

If we somehow miraculously manage to beat Maryland with our roster issues right now, this is going to become a national story.

I guarantee not everyone cheering for Nebraska at the arena yesterday was a Nebraska fan.  We're the underdog; people love underdogs. People especially love underdogs who are facing particularly long odds while overcoming some adversity.

That's where we are.  As an added bonus, we have a coach on the hotseat, so we'd be an even bigger media darling.

This has all the makings of Milan vs. Muncie Central.

I would cast Tom Cruise in the role of Tim Miles so that a 6'2" actor could stand next to him and look like he's 6'8".

I just can't see us staying within 15 pts of Maryland today, let alone beating them.  Just too depleted to hang with their 2 monster bigs.  The legs will also go quickly.  Roby and Borchardt will get into early foul trouble, and Bruno will abuse Heiman.  

I would love to be wrong, but I just see the Terps blowing us out this afternoon.

34 minutes ago, HB said:

This!  It shouldn’t be any different that football.  Even if we have to go on the road, if the players want to play... you do it.

41 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

I have always believed that the NIT was a better tournament...the NCAA has the better teams,  but I have always liked how the NIT has home games for the first three rounds instead of empty arenas for 50% of the games in the NCAA

To each their own, but there is a reason many call the NIT the "No Interest Tournament".  NOTHING beats the NCAA Tourney.  Greatest sporting event out there, especially that first couple of days.  

1 minute ago, Klas3131 said:

I just can't see us staying within 15 pts of Maryland today, let alone beating them.  Just too depleted to hang with their 2 monster bigs.  The legs will also go quickly.  Roby and Borchardt will get into early foul trouble, and Bruno will abuse Heiman.  

I would love to be wrong, but I just see the Terps blowing us out this afternoon.

I hope Maryland thinks the same way.  The heart I saw our players play with yesterday should carry over to today.  We have the advantage of already playing a game.  I also don’t think “the legs will go quickly” is accurate.  We’ve only played one game.  Hell Glynn and Palmer only played about 7-8 more minutes than usual.  Now Friday and Saturday the legs might go a little quicker.

4 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I hope Maryland thinks the same way.  The heart I saw our players play with yesterday should carry over to today.  We have the advantage of already playing a game.  I also don’t think “the legs will go quickly” is accurate.  We’ve only played one game.  Hell Glynn and Palmer only played about 7-8 more minutes than usual.  Now Friday and Saturday the legs might go a little quicker.

All good points.  Can't question the heart.  But keep in mind that they just played an OT, very emotionally draining game just 4 days ago as well.  Lots of minutes for the guys there too.  You may be right about the legs.  But I still maintain that this matchup is just horrible for us.  Bruno could go for 25 and 15.