Will Roby be back next year?

ZAYWHAT!

I found out tonight he does not have to declare on May 29th one way or the other  since he was invited to the combine.   If he does not get drafted he comes back.   If he’s drafted he does not come back.   May 29th is irrelevant.  

I heard he had a great tryout with the Bulls today.  

The combine starts Tuesday.  

Edited by ZAYWHAT!

43 minutes ago, ZAYWHAT! said:

I found out tonight he does not have to declare on May 29th one way or the other  since he was invited to the combine.   If he does not get drafted he comes back.   If he’s drafted he does not come back.   May 29th is irrelevant.  

I heard he had a great tryout with the Bulls today.  

The combine starts Tuesday.  

may 29th is not completely irrelevant. 

entering the draft and getting picked 60 would not be ideal. you probably aren't making a roster and you can't return to college.

10 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Are we sure he will have a spot to come back too? ?

My not-quite-a-conspiracy theory is that Thorir's spot is contingent upon Roby not coming back.  Which would mean Thorir will have a spot, since all signs point toward Roby moving on.

26 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

My not-quite-a-conspiracy theory is that Thorir's spot is contingent upon Roby not coming back.  Which would mean Thorir will have a spot, since all signs point toward Roby moving on.

I’d be happy to have Thor back. Always liked him. Always liked him better than Nana, and I took some crap from people on this board for that opinion. I think he’s a jump shot short of being a contributor. He’s crafty and smart and sets up his teammates when he’s in the game. Very unselfish. Wish he had a jumper.

5 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Man how this board has changed.. I even used a smiley face thingy.. What I said about Roby was in humor, you know a joke, like we have so many new really good guys would Roby really be good enough to make this team now?. A joke guys.... sigh

Just FIFY, with an (I think) upvote.  :Lol:

Found this yesterday.   Interesting information.  

From Hail Varsity by Derek Peterson 

Love or Hate Roby’s Move, Hoiberg’s Reset,  Eratad’s Fall

Isaiah Roby has an NBA Draft Combine invite. He’s one of only 66 players to have that. He’s hoping to become the first Husker drafted since 1999.

A report from Syracuse.com’s Donna Ditota gave a pretty good indication of what that combine invite means for Roby’s draft prospects:

In the last five years, 43 of the 60 draft picks on averaged were combine participants.

In the last five years, there have only been a total of 11 college players drafted who didn’t participate in the combine (international guys are growing in popularity).

I think Roby’s decision should have been made after securing a combine invite. He’ll test well in the athletic portions of the event, set to take place May 15-19. He looks the part of an NBA player, possessing the size and versatility a team will always take a chance on. ESPN’s recent mock draft has him 37th to the Mavericks. 

While that’s second round, it’s still early second round, which means good things. According to NBC Sports, 65 of the 72 college players selected between 31st and 45th of the last six drafts (90.3 percent) signed a guaranteed contract from an NBA team, and only two college players taken in the top 40 since 2012 didn’t get a guaranteed contract during their first season as a pro.

Creighton’s Khyri Thomas went 38th to the Pistons last season and signed a three-year, $3.92 million deal with the first two years guaranteed. One spot earlier — Roby’s projected spot — Gary Clark Jr. went to the Blazers and signed a fully guaranteed three-year deal. The Nets drafted Rodions Kurucs with the 40th pick in the draft and gave him a four-year, $6.96 million deal with the first three years guaranteed. 

All these things are good things for Roby. Playing in the NBA is the dream and he seems incredibly close to achieving that dream. He doesn’t really owe Nebraska much at this point; the team he’d be returning to would feature one player he’s played with at Nebraska, a coaching staff he doesn’t know and a system he’s new to. 

The NBA’s looking better and better.

12 minutes ago, ZAYWHAT! said:

Found this yesterday.   Interesting information.  

From Hail Varsity by Derek Peterson 

Love or Hate Roby’s Move, Hoiberg’s Reset,  Eratad’s Fall

Isaiah Roby has an NBA Draft Combine invite. He’s one of only 66 players to have that. He’s hoping to become the first Husker drafted since 1999.

A report from Syracuse.com’s Donna Ditota gave a pretty good indication of what that combine invite means for Roby’s draft prospects:

In the last five years, 43 of the 60 draft picks on averaged were combine participants.

In the last five years, there have only been a total of 11 college players drafted who didn’t participate in the combine (international guys are growing in popularity).

I think Roby’s decision should have been made after securing a combine invite. He’ll test well in the athletic portions of the event, set to take place May 15-19. He looks the part of an NBA player, possessing the size and versatility a team will always take a chance on. ESPN’s recent mock draft has him 37th to the Mavericks. 

While that’s second round, it’s still early second round, which means good things. According to NBC Sports, 65 of the 72 college players selected between 31st and 45th of the last six drafts (90.3 percent) signed a guaranteed contract from an NBA team, and only two college players taken in the top 40 since 2012 didn’t get a guaranteed contract during their first season as a pro.

Creighton’s Khyri Thomas went 38th to the Pistons last season and signed a three-year, $3.92 million deal with the first two years guaranteed. One spot earlier — Roby’s projected spot — Gary Clark Jr. went to the Blazers and signed a fully guaranteed three-year deal. The Nets drafted Rodions Kurucs with the 40th pick in the draft and gave him a four-year, $6.96 million deal with the first three years guaranteed. 

All these things are good things for Roby. Playing in the NBA is the dream and he seems incredibly close to achieving that dream. He doesn’t really owe Nebraska much at this point; the team he’d be returning to would feature one player he’s played with at Nebraska, a coaching staff he doesn’t know and a system he’s new to. 

The NBA’s looking better and better.

I'd say it's a near-lock at this point. I hope a contender who is needing a versatile piece could go ahead & select Isaiah. That would be a lot of fun to see what Roby can do on a talented roster, playing in the post-season next year. That would be A LOT OF FUN, both for him & Husker Hoops fanatics alike. Nebrasketball dancin' with big tourney wins, and Zay kickin' butt & takin' names! GBR !!!

Edited by AuroranHusker

11 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I’d be happy to have Thor back. Always liked him. Always liked him better than Nana, and I took some crap from people on this board for that opinion. I think he’s a jump shot short of being a contributor. He’s crafty and smart and sets up his teammates when he’s in the game. Very unselfish. Wish he had a jumper.

Couldn’t agree more.  Role players are necessary on any team.

On 5/11/2019 at 10:23 PM, FredsSlacks said:

may 29th is not completely irrelevant. 

entering the draft and getting picked 60 would not be ideal. you probably aren't making a roster and you can't return to college.

This.  Been saying all along if he doesn’t at least secure a verbal guarantee of a two year guaranteed second round contract he should consider taking himself out of the draft.  What I wonder is if players can tell teams to please not draft if not going to do so In second round and have it be generally accepted.  

Havent seen this posted yet so i thought i would share. According to sources, Roby has a hard time focusing on school AND basketball. When he was excelling in one the other dipped in performance. He is looking forward to being able to just focus on basketball if the right opportunity presents itself.

I heard this on a podcast a few weeks ago and just read it in an article last night.

23 minutes ago, khoock said:

Havent seen this posted yet so i thought i would share. According to sources, Roby has a hard time focusing on school AND basketball. When he was excelling in one the other dipped in performance. He is looking forward to being able to just focus on basketball if the right opportunity presents itself.

I heard this on a podcast a few weeks ago and just read it in an article last night.

I know I've heard/read this but don't recall where.