Will Roby be back next year?

ZAYWHAT!

12 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

He was speaking generally; others have been saying Isaiah is in Chicago right now working out with somebody, which would make going to class a little problematic.

It's dead week here so I imagine he's covered his bases as far as classes are concerned. We'll probably find out what's happening with him within the next 2-3 weeks I imagine. He has until the 29th of May to decide if he's coming back or not. I think he should have an idea of what he's doing before then

I see @Norm Peterson

I guess it sucks that he won't graduate, and won't play for us next year, but it makes sense to leave and workout. Being projected were he is, he is so close to guaranteed money that we should be asking "why would he come back?" plus he probably isn't lottery, so depending how he works out he has a good chance to land with a contender. 

Man, I hope you're wrong. Roby could potentially be a top 15 pick next year, if he continues his assault in a B1G way. He has the chops to be The Man, and Big Ten honors galore along the way, we'll have to wait & see what happens here in the near term. GBR !!!

No. Roby will not be a top 15 pick in today’s NBA. Upper classman struggle to get picked that high and Roby won’t break that trend.

The second round is tough because some teams look it as a throw away and might rather stash an overseas player. The best thing for Roby would be to have a top tier take him end of first round and allow him to work his way up. That won’t happen this year but if he came back could maybe... bug maybe happen next year.

He is a mid to late second round pick I would assume in this years draft but at least he gets in the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Minnesota_Husker said:

No. Roby will not be a top 15 pick in today’s NBA. Upper classman struggle to get picked that high and Roby won’t break that trend.

The second round is tough because some teams look it as a throw away and might rather stash an overseas player. The best thing for Roby would be to have a top tier take him end of first round and allow him to work his way up. That won’t happen this year but if he came back could maybe... bug maybe happen next year.

He is a mid to late second round pick I would assume in this years draft but at least he gets in the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The point I attempted to make is that Roby could become Big Ten royalty as far as honors under Hoiberg & Co. Seniors are taken fairly high, it's just not as common any more, but honestly I do not care about whether he's top 15 or top 60 as I want Roby back at NU.

Just because someone is working in Chicago doesn't mean they're not keeping up with classwork. Also, if we don't have mechanisms put in place for guys to go early in the NBA draft while keeping up with school then how do we ever expect to get those types of kids to come here and/or have a good APR if they do?

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Just because someone is working in Chicago doesn't mean they're not keeping up with classwork. Also, if we don't have mechanisms put in place for guys to go early in the NBA draft while keeping up with school then how do we ever expect to get those types of kids to come here and/or have a good APR if they do?

I was just tying together what Torvik said about predicting who's leaving and what others were saying about Isaiah's whereabouts.

I don't have any special knowledge besides that.

3 hours ago, LK1 said:

Again... a general observation similar to the transfer speculations:

I'm getting pretty tired of the Roby character questioning.  What on earth has ANYTHING about his time here indicated he is anything other than a bonafide GREAT KID?!

Stop.  

Who has questioned his character?

4 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Maybe he's referring to the discussion of whether he's going to class?

If he’s in Chicago working out, it stands to reason he’s not going to class. Torvik says that’s how he’d figure who’s going pro or coming back. I don’t think that’s a reflection on anyone’s character.

Not seen one post questioning Roby's character.  Bart simply said "it would be good to know if he has stopped going to class" as a means to know what a kids plans were.  Not really directed at anyone, nor questioning their character.  My only hope is the NBA folks are honest with Roby (and the others who could go back to school) and that those close to them giving them honest advice too.

If his whole plan was not to come back, wouldn't he have just hired an agent? Rather than neglecting classes, making himself academically ineligible? Makes way more sense to just hire an agent and cut the cord.

I'm sure his current plan is to be drafted. With that plan in mind, if he's not fully committed to excelling in workouts to help his draft stock, then he's doing a disservice to himself.

But I'd also guess, because he hasn't hired an agent, that if he's spending extra time in Chicago, he's still keeping up with his academic work, whether it's online or however he's doing it. He's probably taking a lighter load now, and if he chooses to come back, he could just ramp things up in the summer to make up for a lighter load this semester.

Don't get me wrong, I love conspiracy theories as much as the next guy, but it seems like we're overthinking this one.

Two things

1. I'm pretty sure that Roby has an agent.  However, with the rule changes that is permissible now for guys who want to come back.

2. 'Not going to class' as in 'physically not being present in class' isn't the same as 'not completing classes/classwork' and the latter is what I'm assuming that Bartovik is referring to.the 

Everything is set up for Roby to come back if he chooses and the draft evaluations and workouts will probably be the biggest factor on whether or not he does. (seems doubtful)

If you ask me

and

I have no info on the situation but after

reading this link idk. https://www.nbadraft.net/players/isaiah-roby

Maybe he could use it as leverage or something against getting drafted by a team he doesn't want to go too.

Like nah if you guys draft me I'm going back to school. 

I still feel he's gonna be a nba combine/workout draft board climber once the combine starts.

The link says and I agree his "nba" skill is defense.

And he has a very good offensive base to at least start with.

26 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Some body on one of the other threads tells how athletes can miss so many classes but keep up with the class work.

Will that person please come to this thread and tell us what you said.

Probably me. Short version: it's nowhere near the big deal some folks are making it out to be. 

3 hours ago, tcp said:

Probably me. Short version: it's nowhere near the big deal some folks are making it out to be. 

I'm not sure people were making it out to be a big deal until someone suggested that it's a sign of bad character if he's working out in Chicago trying to make himself the best draft pick he can be instead of attending class.

I don't think that's a sign of bad character, personally.

49 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'm not sure people were making it out to be a big deal until someone suggested that it's a sign of bad character if he's working out in Chicago trying to make himself the best draft pick he can be instead of attending class.

I don't think that's a sign of bad character, personally.

If he's working on improving footwork, he's in the right place.  Lots of bullets to dodge in Chicago...