Will Roby be back next year?

ZAYWHAT!

He’s gone for sure, now the only question is after the combine and after workouts is does he start climbing in the 1st round. For me the only shock would be if he doesn’t get drafted. That one clip of him detecting a shot getting the deflection and than going to coast to coast for that dunk shows you all of his versatility. Add to that he’s lost weight so he can play wing in the league, but as he already showed in college he has a great frame to add weight to without losing the explosive ability that he was naturally blessed with. I can see teams in the back of half of the first round takin him and letting him gain some confidence in the G-League. I’m excited for this warriors workout he screams warriors or spurs plug and play guy 

Roby will thrive if he goes to a good team. A spot where he can fill in as role player and grow into a starter, star, or superstar.

If he goes to a team where he is thrown into too big of a role right away, I could see it destroying his confidence and his mentality.

36 minutes ago, khoock said:

If he goes to a team where he is thrown into too big of a role right away, I could see it destroying his confidence and his mentality.

Don't make the mistake of misunderestimating him. ?  He did pretty well in that role at the end of last season...

9 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

I’d be shocked if he came back. He got very good feedback and publicity at the combine. Much different scenario surrounding Roby vs. other NU NBA hopefuls (Petteway, Webster, Shields) not going to count Andrew White.

is it really that much different than petteway? both guys left after their junior year. both guys went to the combine. both guys were getting good feedback. most thought petteway was an early 2nd rounder which is what we're hearing about roby. 

5 hours ago, FredsSlacks said:

is it really that much different than petteway? both guys left after their junior year. both guys went to the combine. both guys were getting good feedback. most thought petteway was an early 2nd rounder which is what we're hearing about roby. 

To compare Roby to Pettaway in regards to NBA-ready intangibles and overall potential is almost an insult to Roby IMO. His stock is glaringly higher than Pettaway's was. 

6 hours ago, FredsSlacks said:

This is true. Petteway was early to mid second round in all of the mock drafts leading up to draft day. 

He did well in the shooting drills and scrimmages at the combine. Wingspan was measured at 6’11.25 and body fat percentage was one of the lowest.

But Petteway was also a volume shooter and if I remember correctly the analysis struggled with what role he would fill in the NBA. Conversely, with Roby, the analysis seems to suggest the multitude of roles he can fill. Petteway you knew exactly what you were getting and Roby the possibilities are many. So while the draft # are close they really do not seem close.

There’s no doubt Roby has more long-term potential than Petteway did. Most players who attend the combine say they get good feedback from teams and they all get positive reviews from the media. But Roby had every opportunity to shoot up draft boards with so many players not participating in the scrimmages and that did not happen. He’s projected to go in the same range as he was before the combine and isn’t meeting with any teams who have higher picks. I hope he goes in the first round, but his reputation among our fan base seems to have surpassed his abilities as a player. 6’8” guys who are long and athletic are a dime a dozen at the next level. Seems like teams want to see more from him.

Golden State came to a lot of my games — they want me to be more consistent, they want me to have good games all the time and not have a 25-point game then a two-point game.” That’s from  his most recent interview with Padilla.

1 hour ago, cornfed24-7 said:

But Petteway was also a volume shooter and if I remember correctly the analysis struggled with what role he would fill in the NBA. Conversely, with Roby, the analysis seems to suggest the multitude of roles he can fill. Petteway you knew exactly what you were getting and Roby the possibilities are many. So while the draft # are close they really do not seem close.

This.  Petteway's only option in the league was a scoring shooting guard.  That's the hardest position to be because it requires you to be an elite scorer night in and night out.  Petteway was an okay defender and an okay shooter, so he could never be a 3 and D guy.

Roby is an entirely different prospect.  He is never going to be asked to be a primary scorer in the league.  Scouts are interested in the freakish things he does on the defensive end to influence games and his elite speed in transition.  For a big, he is a freak athlete, including in the NBA.  Look at his post-scrimmage test results.  They were all top 5 for bigs.  For Petteway, he had to get hot to take over games or he was a detriment to the team.  Roby can be cold from the field and still make his team better with the other things he does on the court.  If I'm an agent, I'm pitching Roby as a longer Iggy.  Golden State could make fantastic use of him.  

40 minutes ago, LK1 said:

This.  Petteway's only option in the league was a scoring shooting guard.  That's the hardest position to be because it requires you to be an elite scorer night in and night out.  Petteway was an okay defender and an okay shooter, so he could never be a 3 and D guy.

Roby is an entirely different prospect.  He is never going to be asked to be a primary scorer in the league.  Scouts are interested in the freakish things he does on the defensive end to influence games and his elite speed in transition.  For a big, he is a freak athlete, including in the NBA.  Look at his post-scrimmage test results.  They were all top 5 for bigs.  For Petteway, he had to get hot to take over games or he was a detriment to the team.  Roby can be cold from the field and still make his team better with the other things he does on the court.  If I'm an agent, I'm pitching Roby as a longer Iggy.  Golden State could make fantastic use of him.  

Agree with most of this, but disagree that he’s a freak athlete for his position in the NBA. Yes, he has freak athleticism compared to bigs. But he’s 6’8” 215 and won’t be matched up with bigs, guys like Marc Gasol, Ayton, Drummond, etc. Joel Embiid makes Udoka Azubuike look small.

Comparing him to guys his size and who play his position, we’re talking Al-Farouq Aminu, Mo Harkless, Jerami Grant, etc. Like Roby, those guys are physical and athletic freaks, have solid all-around games and can defend multiple positions. Unlike Roby, they are flat out mean and bring tenacity every night. 

Other players of similar size/position, but not as athletic find a niche, like being an elite 3-point shooter. I agree that a team like Golden State could be a good fit. They need role players who don’t need the ball in their hands to make an impact.

Edited by millerhusker

1 minute ago, millerhusker said:

Agree with most of this, but disagree that he’s a freak athlete for his position in the NBA. Yes, he has freak athleticism compared to bigs. But he’s 6’8” 215 and won’t be matched up with bigs, guys like Marc Gasol, Ayton, Drummond, etc. Joel Embiid makes Udoka Azubuike look small.

Comparing him to guys his size and who play his position, we’re talking Al-Farouq Aminu, Mo Harkless, Jerami Grant, etc. Like Roby, those guys are physical and athletic freaks. Unlike Roby, they are flat out mean and bring tenacity every night. 

Other players of similar size/position, but not as athletic find a niche, like being an elite 3-point shooter. I agree that a team like Golden State could be a good fit. They need role players who don’t need the ball in their hands to make an impact.

Yeah, certainly not a freak athlete by NBA standards. He also was not top 5 among bigs in all the tests.  And there were only about 20 bigs that did these tests.  He wasn't top five in max vertical jump for starters.  I would say that is pretty important in identifying a "freak" athlete.  Also not 5 in strength testing.  If you don't have a top 5 max vert or a top 5 in strength among your 20 or so at the big positions, I don't think you can be considered a freak athlete by NBA standards.  Big ten standards, yes.  NBA, not so much.  

I could think of 15-20 guys off the top of my head who play the 3 or 4 position in the NBA who are more athletic than Roby and more skilled. I can even think of 5+ 7'0 260# who are as well. 

Now, Roby has more than enough the athleticism to play in the NBA (but literally so do 90% of the players.) But hes not a freak for NBA standards. If he can pair his athleticism with improved skill and better his mental game he will be set. But the same can be said for a lot of other players too.

2 hours ago, millerhusker said:

There’s no doubt Roby has more long-term potential than Petteway did. Most players who attend the combine say they get good feedback from teams and they all get positive reviews from the media. But Roby had every opportunity to shoot up draft boards with so many players not participating in the scrimmages and that did not happen. He’s projected to go in the same range as he was before the combine and isn’t meeting with any teams who have higher picks. I hope he goes in the first round, but his reputation among our fan base seems to have surpassed his abilities as a player. 6’8” guys who are long and athletic are a dime a dozen at the next level. Seems like teams want to see more from him.

Golden State came to a lot of my games — they want me to be more consistent, they want me to have good games all the time and not have a 25-point game then a two-point game.” That’s from  his most recent interview with Padilla.

1000X this. 

On that note, this is why I don't think him returning makes us this like instant Sweet 16 team. People seem to think we are an NIT team at best without him and a sure-fire tournament team with him. He might make us a few wins better but let's be real, he was not even All-Big Ten Honorable Mention, as a junior. 

I think the point is most of those 6’7 - 6’9 guys in the NBA are special athletes. It’s not that Roby is a “freak” compared to them but the fact that he is in their athletic category which gets him interest. His ability to defend, rebound, handle, and hit jumpers consistently will decide if he sticks in the league. Not many guys can do all that with his size.

Disagree on sweet 16. If we were to get in the field and he gets hot that first weekend he could be the difference.

20 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

I think the point is most of those 6’7 - 6’9 guys in the NBA are special athletes. It’s not that Roby is a “freak” compared to them but the fact that he is in their athletic category which gets him interest. His ability to defend, rebound, handle, and hit jumpers consistently will decide if he sticks in the league. Not many guys can do all that with his size.

Disagree on sweet 16. If we were to get in the field and he gets hot that first weekend he could be the difference.

Exactly.  Those guys are the most freakish of athletes in the league right now in many ways, and there’s only like 15 of them on the planet.  The most athletic specimens from the combine are absorbed into that group in the league.  

Roby’s athleticism was evident in the scrimmages I watched.  He was a cut above most of the 4s I saw as a pure athlete.