Will Roby be back next year?

ZAYWHAT!

8 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I wonder if any team is willing to guarantee a place on the NBA roster.  Listening to the Isaiah verbiage, he seems to hint that if he is being told that he will spend a year in the G-league, he may not be interested.  Perhaps I am misinterpreting the comments, then again, perhaps not.

I think it is more about getting the guaranteed NBA contact than actually being on the roster. 

Well with it looking more and more like he's gone I'm gonna throw in my fav Roby dunk.

Mainly just because of Copelands reaction.

I really believe if he wouldnt have gotten hurt Roby would be back next yr.

Edited by Gmaw

2 hours ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I think he's gone. Which leads me to this thought. To me Roby will be like Mikki Moore. In that I could be watching this kid in the NBA for the next decade thinking, "Damn! How did we not get more out of this guy while he was a Husker?!?"

It’s easy in regards to Mikki.  Nee  played Mikki about 10 minutes his freshman season when he was about 180 lbs.    Mikki was dominant as a “senior”, which of course should have been his RS junior season.

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:32 PM, Handy Johnson said:

If he’s not guaranteed, I hope he’s smart enough to realize he’ll learn a hell of a lot more here with a Hoiberg than a year riding on buses in the G-league.

Not necessarily true

On 5/18/2019 at 9:32 PM, Handy Johnson said:

If he’s not guaranteed, I hope he’s smart enough to realize he’ll learn a hell of a lot more here with a Hoiberg than a year riding on buses in the G-league.

The argument you seem to be implying here is that Roby can develop in style as opposed to developing as a minor leaguer, which is likely where he would end up if drafted.

However, it's been noted that Roby tends to struggle on the court when he's needed to step things up in the classroom. As a pro, he's got nothing to work on but basketball.

Some guys need the structure of college coaches telling them to work or whatever. That doesn't seem like an issue for Isaiah at all.

He absolutely should go and will be drafted. Hopefully he can crack the first round.

2 hours ago, kldm64 said:

Not necessarily true

I read an analysis of guaranteed money based on draft position. The takeaway was that with a draft position any higher than 38 or 39, based on history, there would be little to no guarantee. And the final conclusion was, if there is no guarantee then Roby should just as well come back to Nebraska. Not certain how accurate this was but thought I would pass it on. 

Edited by MandRHusker

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

The argument you seem to be implying here is that Roby can develop in style as opposed to developing as a minor leaguer, which is likely where he would end up if drafted.

However, it's been noted that Roby tends to struggle on the court when he's needed to step things up in the classroom. As a pro, he's got nothing to work on but basketball.

Some guys need the structure of college coaches telling them to work or whatever. That doesn't seem like an issue for Isaiah at all.

He absolutely should go and will be drafted. Hopefully he can crack the first round.

Wouldn't say he absolutely should go. If a team tells him they're going to draft him in the 1st round, he should go. Or if a teams tells him they'll take him in the 2nd and give him a guaranteed contract. If he doesn't get that verbal guarantee from a team by next week, there's nothing wrong with him coming back for another year. Most 2nd round contracts are non-guaranteed and contingent on the player making the roster. The majority of those players don't make the roster, spend a year or two in the G-League and end up overseas.

Roby could be the rare non-senior who actually improves his situation after returning for his senior year. He will be getting NBA level coaching and player development. He's young for his class (will be 21 for almost his entire senior year). Draft analysts' knock on Roby this year was lack of consistent production. His numbers would be inflated next year due to sheer increase in number of possessions and his usage rate will be just as high or higher than years past. He only has 18 credit hours left to graduate, so his workload in the classroom won't be near as much as it was his first 3 years.

FWIW, I hope he gets his guaranteed contract this year. He deserves it.

Edited by millerhusker

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

I’m convinced as you are, he’s gone and he WILL get drafted. The main thrust of my argument is whomever his G-League coach is, it won’t be Fred Hoiberg.

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Nah, if he doesn't get a guaranteed contract he would have WAY more upside financially by coming back.  Hopefully, he does get a guaranteed deal.  Preferably, in the first round.  

27 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

I would say that Roby made his mind up not come back the first second  Copeland's MRI was shared with him. ?

You may be  joking but I feel that will play no part in Roby’s decision. Every time you play basketball there is some chance of some injury. Roby has played hundreds if not thousands of hours of basketball. When you’re young you are invincible and the idea of injury just doesn’t exist. Now it may play a part in the parents’ or agent’s feedback which he may take into account. Zion came back to play and I would think at least 95% of college athletes would do the same. Now “meaningless” bowl games don’t seem to carry much weight with players. 

Edited by Dean Smith

9 minutes ago, Gmaw said:

I think that story got a couple of things wrong.

He does have an agent but that doesn't make him ineligible to come back.

He needs to decide by May 29th.  The June 10th withdrawal date applies to foreign players.