Will Roby be back next year?

ZAYWHAT!

14 hours ago, ZAYWHAT! said:

From what I can see 19 out of the 30 second rounders in 2018 had guaranteed contracts for one year or more for millions of dollars.   I’ve put this link on here before but here it is again. 

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/10/recap-of-2018-nba-draft-pick-signings.html

While that is a decent guide, it is a bit misleading in many cases.  Those total dollar amounts are over the entire length of the contract.  The salaries escalate in most every instance, so they are only going to get the bulk of the money if the team opts to hang on to them for the more expensive part of the contract.  For example.  Khyri Thomas got a 3 year deal, with two of them guaranteed.  838k 838k then goes up for the non guaranteed year at 1.6 million.  So just looking at what it says there a three year deal worth 3.92 million is misleading.  Last pick of first round gets true guarantee of 3.6 million and that is if he is released after the two guaranteed years.  This is why if Roby doesn't get a word of a guaranteed deal from someone if he doesn't project to go first round, he needs to be very careful.  If there is belief he could move into the first round next year, in the long run he is much better off in most cases.  

31 minutes ago, royalfan said:

While that is a decent guide, it is a bit misleading in many cases.  Those total dollar amounts are over the entire length of the contract.  The salaries escalate in most every instance, so they are only going to get the bulk of the money if the team opts to hang on to them for the more expensive part of the contract.  For example.  Khyri Thomas got a 3 year deal, with two of them guaranteed.  838k 838k then goes up for the non guaranteed year at 1.6 million.  So just looking at what it says there a three year deal worth 3.92 million is misleading.  Last pick of first round gets true guarantee of 3.6 million and that is if he is released after the two guaranteed years.  This is why if Roby doesn't get a word of a guaranteed deal from someone if he doesn't project to go first round, he needs to be very careful.  If there is belief he could move into the first round next year, in the long run he is much better off in most cases.  

and most rookie contracts in all sports for  draft picks are back loaded, not equally spread out AAV. So that 3.8 million contract with one guaranteed year could limit the first year to 750k plus whatever the signing bonus was. Still decent money for someone who may otherwise be relegated to making coffee at an insurance company. Injuries are insured against fairly generously, so that mitigates the attraction of a poorer contract. I think with Zay it'll be a toss up as to whether he bails or not. It really will be a tough decision if he's picked at the median spot he's being projected at. 

19 minutes ago, Gmaw said:

I've heard

although nowadays 

you hear all these guys are now

"signing"

with agents 

But I hear there's some heavy hitters trying to sign roby like 

Over 10 agencies 

I also heard that he had met with agents last weekend. Just didn't hire anyone yet obviously. 

2 minutes ago, Red Don said:

Thinking about this, I'm sure Roby would be,  uhhh,  'Required' to shoot more next season,  if he returns.  :Redface:

I have a feeling that Hoiberg is a way better offensive innovator, particularly for a dude like Roby to succeed. It could be a huge selling point for Zay to return to Lincoln for his SR season.

3 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

I have a feeling that Hoiberg is a way better offensive innovator, particularly for a dude like Roby to succeed. It could be a huge selling point for Zay to return to Lincoln for his SR season.

My thoughts exactly.  I think Roby would benefit immensely from a year under Fred Hoiberg.  Hoiberg seems to be well-recognized for improving 'shooters' on his team, as well as a fast-paced game.   :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, FredsSlacks said:

based on his quotes today, it sounds like he is leaning towards leaving right now. 

said he would be okay with going in the 2nd round if it's the right fit.

though that doesn't really make sense because you can't pick which team you want to go to.

I'd join the Shim Shams if they paid me 7 figures.  B)

Since the Shim-Shams were mentioned in this thread, I note the new trend in the NBA is having a dance squad of, shall we say, "temporally-challenged" individuals performing at games. I think they started in Oklahoma City, but are a feature at several other venues now and are quite popular. I never envisioned the Shim-Shams being "cutting edge" when they performed here. I know they were a feature at Bob Devaney, but have they been invited to the Pinnacle too?

17 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Since the Shim-Shams were mentioned in this thread, I note the new trend in the NBA is having a dance squad of, shall we say, "temporally-challenged" individuals performing at games. I think they started in Oklahoma City, but are a feature at several other venues now and are quite popular. I never envisioned the Shim-Shams being "cutting edge" when they performed here. I know they were a feature at Bob Devaney, but have they been invited to the Pinnacle too?

I don't remember them being at PBA.

5 hours ago, jimmykc said:

If the Shim Shams danced to modern music as a lark people would not be able to get enough of them. That was just packaged wrong

Ran into Robys dad in Rockford last night
(I went to hs with him btw)
Side note: I also went to highschool with future husker Donovan Williams dad altho we don't talk.

We all went to rockford east high in Rockford il
I don't really talk to robys dad much anymore but we do know each other.
He says he's not sure what his sons decision will be but that Isaiah will be the 1 making the decision.

But he did say that if isaiah does stay in the draft he might be signing with priority sports.

If that is the case then in my opinion he's really gone.
Folks they are a big time agency and rep some big names.
Well after a quick Google search I found lol

http://www.prioritysports.biz/basketball/nba-draft

If they want him I'd imagine others do as well.
His dad says he and robys mom have been talking too agents the whole yr that are just trying too establish a relationship hoping they could rep him I asked how many he said over 5 easy and its been since the end of last yr.
Hell there was atleast 6 talking too his family after every game for the big tourney I saw.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, thattimeofyearchanges said:

Ran into Robys dad in Rockford last night
(I went to hs with him btw)
Side note: I also went to highschool with future husker Donovan Williams dad altho we don't talk.

We all went to rockford east high in Rockford il
I don't really talk to robys dad much anymore but we do know each other.
He says he's not sure what his sons decision will be but that Isaiah will be the 1 making the decision.

But he did say that if isaiah does stay in the draft he might be signing with priority sports.

If that is the case then in my opinion he's really gone.
Folks they are a big time agency and rep some big names.
Well after a quick Google search I found lol

http://www.prioritysports.biz/basketball/nba-draft

If they want him I'd imagine others do as well.
His dad says he and robys mom have been talking too agents the whole yr that are just trying too establish a relationship hoping they could rep him I asked how many he said over 5 easy and its been since the end of last yr.
Hell there was atleast 6 talking too his family after every game for the big tourney I saw.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Thank you for sharing.  What doesn't surprise me in the least is that only one person will make the final decision --- Isaiah.  He will listen, weigh the information and make the right decision for him.   

• 2 weeks later...