Will Roby be back next year?

ZAYWHAT!

This is a situation where it would make sense to come back IMO.  His shooting is what is going to hinder his draft position.  Hoiberg happens to excel at that part of the game.  Playing in an offense with better spacing and proving he can shoot could really elevate his status.  Unless he is a first rounder, I think he should come back.  

1 hour ago, royalfan said:

This is a situation where it would make sense to come back IMO.  His shooting is what is going to hinder his draft position.  Hoiberg happens to excel at that part of the game.  Playing in an offense with better spacing and proving he can shoot could really elevate his status.  Unless he is a first rounder, I think he should come back.  

Caveat: A team in the second round promises him guaranteed money. 

14 hours ago, GATA said:

Caveat: A team in the second round promises him guaranteed money. 

Not sure I agree.  It pushes back when he gets his next contact.  If came back and exploded under Hoiberg, his first contract would be so much more lucrative.  I guess it depends on how much is guaranteed.  

Doesn't the one thing that drives us crazy as fans also hurt him?  His confidence?  We are all saying I wish he would do this or that more during games, won't that be what will hold him back in the NBA.

I think he needs a season where he is the Alpha male on a team, otherwise he will always be the team mate that never "reaches his potential".

The one part of his game he really needs to work on is his 6 inches between his ears.

5 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Not sure I agree.  It pushes back when he gets his next contact.  If came back and exploded under Hoiberg, his first contract would be so much more lucrative.  I guess it depends on how much is guaranteed.  

No doubt a first round contract would be better than a second rounder contact but there is no guarantee that Roby automatically vaults into the first round by coming back for his senior year.  If he has a chance to be drafted regardless of which round, that might be to much to pass up.  He will know more after going through the draft evaluation.  People just automatically think he will be a first rounder if he comes back and that just isn't true.  Can he improve his game....sure.  But he can also get hurt or not put up good numbers learning a new system and most likely, playing with entire different lineup than this year.  I'd love to see Roby back and get to watch him play for his senior year.  Put yourself in his shoes and offered the chance to makes millions of dollars or come back and play your senior year and hope your draft stock increases?  I'd take the guarantee if I was him.

49 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

No doubt a first round contract would be better than a second rounder contact but there is no guarantee that Roby automatically vaults into the first round by coming back for his senior year.  If he has a chance to be drafted regardless of which round, that might be to much to pass up.  He will know more after going through the draft evaluation.  People just automatically think he will be a first rounder if he comes back and that just isn't true.  Can he improve his game....sure.  But he can also get hurt or not put up good numbers learning a new system and most likely, playing with entire different lineup than this year.  I'd love to see Roby back and get to watch him play for his senior year.  Put yourself in his shoes and offered the chance to makes millions of dollars or come back and play your senior year and hope your draft stock increases?  I'd take the guarantee if I was him.

Second rounders are guaranteed "millions of dollars"?  I didn't know that.  He should certainly leave.  

23 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Second rounders are guaranteed "millions of dollars"?  I didn't know that.  He should certainly leave.  

Maybe more like "hundreds of thousands of dollars"...

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/05/10/in-the-money-second-round-picks-cash-in-guaranteed-contracts-at-exceedingly-high-rates/

3 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Here is the contact for late 2nd round draft pick last year.  He was the 56th player selected.  So yes, second round players can get millions of dollars. 

Dallas Mavericks: Ray Spalding, PF (Louisville): Signed

• Four-year, $5.72MM contract. First year guaranteed.

Not a guarantee, but a lot of 2nd rounders sign multi-million dollar deals. If you don't, you probably sign a two-way contract which is a good consolation prize.

4 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Here is the contact for late 2nd round draft pick last year.  He was the 56th player selected.  So yes, second round players can get millions of dollars. 

The thing about second rounders is that you’re not guaranteed a contract. Now the likelihood of you not making the roster after getting drafted is unlikely, because the team obviously sees a role for you somewhere on their team, but it can happen. Now if you do make the roster and get a contract you will make millions, even as a second rounder. 

2 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Not a guarantee, but a lot of 2nd rounders sign multi-million dollar deals. If you don't, you probably sign a two-way contract which is a good consolation prize.

That depends on the contract as sometimes just the first year is guaranteed and sometimes it can but up to 3 years guaranteed.  Just depends on where you get drafted and how good of agent you have.  Jalen Brunson was the 3rd pick in the 2nd round and he signed a 4 year contract worth $6.11 million with the first 3 years guaranteed.

My point was that if Roby can get drafted in the 2nd round and still make millions of dollars, he certainly has to consider that option as opposed to returning for his senior year.

18 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

That depends on the contract as sometimes just the first year is guaranteed and sometimes it can but up to 3 years guaranteed.  Just depends on where you get drafted and how good of agent you have.  Jalen Brunson was the 3rd pick in the 2nd round and he signed a 4 year contract worth $6.11 million with the first 3 years guaranteed.

My point was that if Roby can get drafted in the 2nd round and still make millions of dollars, he certainly has to consider that option as opposed to returning for his senior year.

Yeah sorry, I meant if he’s drafted in the 2nd it’s likely he will get a guaranteed contract worth millions but not a sure thing since a couple sign 2-way contracts. I’m sure he will know where he stands if he enters the draft though.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Is he a lock to be invited to the combine?  Seems like it but I don't know.

Even if he is, I don't think the combine provides enough time/structure for players like Roby to assert their intangibles.  It takes awhile to appreciate how he changes a game.  He has ordinary NBA athleticism (note: they are all freakshows) and average offensive skills.  The thing I think he brings to the table is he can essentially guard 2-4 in the league, has a very high ceiling as a passer, and is a serviceable scorer.  It's the defensive versatility that makes him a prospect, imo.

But he could also average 18-20ppg in Fred's system next year, graduate from college, and get a great recommendation/tutorial from a guy who played in the league for a decade, worked in the front office, coached an NBA team, and has connections to every major player in the league.  It gives him a great chance at being a first rounder and leaving Nebraska as one of the all time greats.  

Really tough call though.  

I wouldnt have any doubt that what happened too copeland weighs heavy with him coming back or not.

Unfortunately for cope

coming back didnt help his stock much and he got hurt. 

But if your willing to bet on yourself with a 2nd round  2 yr guaranteed contract that your agent or agency could negotiate to be comparable to a 1st rd pick

why not? 

That way

you could get too your 2nd contract faster. 

With a 1st round pick

you are stuck under rookie contract guidelines which could really suck.

Even if he is, I don't think the combine provides enough time/structure for players like Roby to assert their intangibles.  It takes awhile to appreciate how he changes a game.  He has ordinary NBA athleticism (note: they are all freakshows) and average offensive skills.  The thing I think he brings to the table is he can essentially guard 2-4 in the league, has a very high ceiling as a passer, and is a serviceable scorer.  It's the defensive versatility that makes him a prospect, imo.

But he could also average 18-20ppg in Fred's system next year, graduate from college, and get a great recommendation/tutorial from a guy who played in the league for a decade, worked in the front office, coached an NBA team, and has connections to every major player in the league.  It gives him a great chance at being a first rounder and leaving Nebraska as one of the all time greats.  

Really tough call though.  

I wouldnt have any doubt that what happened too copeland weighs heavy with him coming back or not.
Unfortunately for cope
coming back didnt help his stock much and he got hurt. 
But if your willing to bet on yourself with a 2nd round  2 yr guaranteed contract that your agent or agency could negotiate to be comparable to a 1st rd pick
why not? 
That way
you could get too your 2nd contract faster. 
With a 1st round pick
you are stuck under rookie contract guidelines which could really suck.
But I still think he's a 1st rounder

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I hope this is what wins him over. I think the exact same thing. Spending a year with a NBA coach, college coach, front office NBA guy, high achieving college player, and NBA player all rolled in one is a great opportunity. Hell, it would almost be like he would also have an agent for a year.

3 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I hope this is what wins him over. I think the exact same thing. Spending a year with a NBA coach, college coach, front office NBA guy, high achieving college player, and NBA player all rolled in one is a great opportunity. Hell, it would almost be like he would also have an agent for a year.

Exactly.  I think TM is pretty well connected in the college game, but Fred has legitimate friends in the league making those kinds of huge decisions.  Fred could be the difference between thousands and millions for a fringe talent like Roby to get the nod over another player with a similar grade.  I could see Fred getting the ear of a team like the Spurs who actually understand and value intangibles, culture, and coachability.  

2 hours ago, kldm64 said:

That is one year guaranteed, not millions of dollars.   2.9 million is guaranteed if he were to move into first round the following year however.  And then either gets teams options exercised which gets very lucrative, or goes and finds a different deal wherever he can.  And this is for the last pick in the first round.   If he does not get a guarantee of significant guaranteed 2nd round money, I think the risk reward is better to come back personally.  

Edited by royalfan