Will Roby be back next year?

ZAYWHAT!

1 hour ago, jimmykc said:

it is difficult to justify staying if you are a first round pick.

These are the approximate values of the last 3 1st round draft picks for 2018. He'd be leaving about 3.2 million on the table if he is a late 1st round pick. I posted a lot of reasons in this thread why Roby could stay. What I really believe though is he is gone. Gotta take the money young man. 

$1,025,30 

$1,076,600

$1,127,800

$1,017,800

$1,068,700

$1,119,600

$1,010,500

$1,061,000

$1,111,600

3 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

I don't know if this is clear or not but if he declares for the draft and is picked anywhere he is absolutely not coming back.

But if he's not selected he has a lot of options with a degree in hand. Come back to Dear Old Nebraska U, G-League, Europe/International, or Grad Transfer.

Edited by AuroranHusker

4 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Even if you stay committed to the draft process?

Now, players can go through the draft and have the ability to return to school if they go undrafted, as long as they inform the school’s athletic director by 5 p.m. the Monday after the draft. Say Maryland’s Kevin Huerter, for example, didn’t get drafted in the first two rounds — he’d be able to play for the Terps again.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/bs-sp-ncaa-new-rules-20180808-story.html

Just now, thrasher31 said:

@hhcmatt is going to have to clarify and find the rule but yes I do remember seeing that in the off-season. Can't remember the exact verbage however. 

INteresting.  Dont recall that.

Dont think it has an impact here regardless.   Roby either isn't going, or he is going to be picked.   Just a question of where.

Just now, nustudent said:

Interesting.

Not sure what to think of this rule

It's a good deal for the guys who get bad advice about declaring for the draft.

For schools it will make thing a bit more unsure in terms of wondering if you'll lose more guys.

Overall seems like a good thing.

2 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Interesting.

Not sure what to think of this rule

I'm pretty in favor. Doesn't punish the players and lets them see where they stand. Makes the NBA do a bit more talent scouting. Doesn't make coaches throw guys under the bus to get them to stay around (Sup Boeheim?). I'm not seeing a lot of downsides. 

45 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

It could affect the NBA draft process in the latter half of the draft... because they might not draft a dude if they have an inkling that said player wants to return to college, for whatever reason. It's a possibility..... maybe that's not a distinct possibility for Roby, in particular.

I don't follow your logic.  If a team drafts a player, he is then ineligible to return to school.  It's not like in the baseball draft where a kid can turn the pro contract down and go back to his college.  

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

It could affect the NBA draft process in the latter half of the draft... because they might not draft a dude if they have an inkling that said player wants to return to college, for whatever reason. It's a possibility..... maybe that's not a distinct possibility for Roby, in particular.

You can only draft guys who declare. If you don't want to go, don't declare

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

You can only draft guys who declare. If you don't want to go, don't declare

It should seem fairly obvious that guys want to see if they're "good enough" with no mention as to whether they are committed or not. That's secondary to some insecure dudes. It is not as simple as declare or don't. It never is simple for some guys. That's why transfers are so rampant.

Edited by AuroranHusker

I really like Roby and would love to have him back.

My guess is he doesn't end up in the first round....(and if you go in the second round, that isn't much better than non drafted free agent)

I think that he will be competing with guys that are similar and couple of years younger...and the NBA loves the young guys.

40 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

I really like Roby and would love to have him back.

My guess is he doesn't end up in the first round....(and if you go in the second round, that isn't much better than non drafted free agent)

I think that he will be competing with guys that are similar and couple of years younger...and the NBA loves the young guys.

What a terrible game for Roby to end the year on, makes one wonder if a dude like Roby wants to be The Man next year. I guess we'll have to wait & see how it plays out this off-season, which could be lit. GBR !!!

I think he has another semester before he can graduate.    

Also here is a link that tells what kind of money is out there for second rounders in the NBA.      This kind of money is hard to pass up.   You never know when you will tear your ACL (Copeland).

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/10/recap-of-2018-nba-draft-pick-signings.html

He did have a phenomenal last home game at PBA .   Too bad his likely  last game as a husker last night was not like last weeks home game.