Will Roby be back next year?

ZAYWHAT!

13 hours ago, MichHusker said:

He’s fighting age at this point. If he came back and was like a 20ppg, 10rpg, 2bpg kinda guy then yea, it would be worth it. If his numbers were just slight improvements, then that extra year did no good. The NBA is in love with youth and potential. 

What I don't get about the NBA is why they love youth and potential so much....especially when most of the young guys (other than the elites like we expect out of Zion) don't really start coming into their game until the end of their rookie contract.

I look at a guy like Malcolm Brogdon and think he is an incredible value for the Bucks...compared to a guy like Thon Maker that has huge upside, but you have to cut bait near the end of their rookie contract because they are just not ready.

26 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

What I don't get about the NBA is why they love youth and potential so much....especially when most of the young guys (other than the elites like we expect out of Zion) don't really start coming into their game until the end of their rookie contract.

I look at a guy like Malcolm Brogdon and think he is an incredible value for the Bucks...compared to a guy like Thon Maker that has huge upside, but you have to cut bait near the end of their rookie contract because they are just not ready.

Only thing I can think of is just the control. Having a guy all locked up for 4 seasons at the age of 20 is a lot more tantalizing than locking  a guy up at the age of 24. Everyone thinks THEIR system and THEIR skill development is the one to unlock someone's potential

6 hours ago, MichHusker said:

but unless he comes back and averages something like 18/8 with a couple assists and blocks a game it might not be worth it

But man I could see him doing that and a little more next year. If I am the new coach I run the offense through him early and often in the early season. Sink or swim him. Hold his britches to the fire. It is your responsibility to get 18 and 8 most nights son. I think he responds and dominates ?

20 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

But man I could see him doing that and a little more next year. If I am the new coach I run the offense through him early and often in the early season. Sink or swim him. Hold his britches to the fire. It is your responsibility to get 18 and 8 most nights son. I think he responds and dominates ?

He could, but it can’t be at the expense of percentages. Needs to be probably as effecient or a little more than he is this year

Why would Roby come back to a team that hopefully could win 10 games.  How many teams are going to be interested in a player on a team that may not win a BIG game next year.

How would that improve his draft position.  Right now you have no point guard, 2 shooting guards a small forward that has been hurt all year, another small forward that has had multiple 

knee surgeries and Roby.

1 hour ago, twinswingohuskers said:

Why would Roby come back to a team that hopefully could win 10 games.  How many teams are going to be interested in a player on a team that may not win a BIG game next year.

How would that improve his draft position.  Right now you have no point guard, 2 shooting guards a small forward that has been hurt all year, another small forward that has had multiple 

knee surgeries and Roby.

The NBA does not care 1 lick what the overall team record would be. Unless the player is a lottery pick those teams try to project ceiling. Can they fill a role. Roby would be 22. So if he comes back and would have been a low first round pick high second round pick he can literally look up what his contract would be. His decision is, as far as monetary value for his first contract, will one more year in college increase his stock enough to mitigate the risk of injury? I think yes. I think he can. Assuming no injury he can actually put a number value to this scenario.

1 hour ago, cornfed24-7 said:

The NBA does not care 1 lick what the overall team record would be. Unless the player is a lottery pick those teams try to project ceiling. Can they fill a role. Roby would be 22. So if he comes back and would have been a low first round pick high second round pick he can literally look up what his contract would be. His decision is, as far as monetary value for his first contract, will one more year in college increase his stock enough to mitigate the risk of injury? I think yes. I think he can. Assuming no injury he can actually put a number value to this scenario.

I hope Roby's ppl have the same idea. I certainly hope so. He still has a few holes in his game that he could shore up in college. The pro level doesn't typically teach players the nuances of the game like they try to do at the college level.  Either you're good enough in the league from the jump or you ride the pine...

5 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

IF Hoiberg is the Coach I think Roby would be ideal for his style of offense.  

Yep. Hoiberg basically runs NBA sets, as well, so he'd prep Isaiah for the league while Roby is still learning the nuances of the game. Get better while in Lincoln, which could serve to assist in Zay having a substantial NBA career instead of one riding the pine in NBA venues or, heaven forbid, more of a G-League status than #baller.

Edited by AuroranHusker

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

I hope Roby's ppl have the same idea. I certainly hope so. He still has a few holes in his game that he could shore up in college. The pro level doesn't typically teach players the nuances of the game like they try to do at the college level.  Either you're good enough in the league from the jump or you ride the pine...

The one BIG adavantage the pro level has over college...players can get unlimited access to coaches, trainers, player development guys, etc to work on their game. College coaches are extremely limited in how much time they can spend actively developing a player

Edited by MichHusker

3 minutes ago, MichHusker said:

The one BIG adavantage the pro level has over college...players can get unlimited access to coaches, trainers, player development guys, etc to work on their game. College coaches are extremely limited in how much time they can spend actively developing a player

Yeah, that is likely the case but the pressure is insurmountable at the highest level to perform at a very high level at all times.

I also think another year in college would help him get better able to use his body more effectively. He has DRAMATICALLY changed his body since he got here. In the grand scheme of things 3 years is too short, even for athletes, too understand and/or know how to use his body at 100%. And he absolutely needs this knowledge if he wants to make it in the NBA.

I also think it will be much harder to aquire that knoweledge in the NBA. Roby at times still looks like a baby deer that is putting it together. The most athletic jacked baby deer ever but still. His best bet to acquire that knowledge is next year in college.

21 is still a baby as far as the human body goes. He looks to me like he could still fill out. He could play HIGH above the rim and DOMINATE nearly all the time if can hone that. 

Stephen A. Smith has a saying he likes to use a lot when he talks about dudes in the NBA. He says "That dude ain't got no punk in him"

And the point of all of this is I think Roby needs to get him some of that and next year in college will be his best chance. By Big Ten play he is dominating. Its a Cinderella season. First tourney win. Roby is a lottery pick. Come guys. Jump on this ride. It'll be a blast ?

On 3/22/2019 at 12:10 PM, MichHusker said:

Only thing I can think of is just the control. Having a guy all locked up for 4 seasons at the age of 20 is a lot more tantalizing than locking  a guy up at the age of 24. Everyone thinks THEIR system and THEIR skill development is the one to unlock someone's potential

Most of the time they unlock the potential for some other team when they turn 24

Hopefully I’m wrong but I have heard Roby is gone regardless of who the coach is. Maybe the will change if we do in fact land Hoiberg and Hoiberg knocks his socks off. 

Either way, can’t blame him if he goes. And if he does...hopefully it will help with recruiting seeing a Nebraska players name on draft boards. 

I believe the biggest factor for Roby will be seeing what happened to Copeland. If same thing were to happen to him next year, it could be a disaster for him. 

If hes a SURE first rounder, he goes, as he should. If it’s questionable that he will be a first rounder he’s back, as he should. But I don’t think the Copeland injury will be overlooked by him. 

5 minutes ago, hhcdave said:

I believe the biggest factor for Roby will be seeing what happened to Copeland. If same thing were to happen to him next year, it could be a disaster for him. 

If hes a SURE first rounder, he goes, as he should. If it’s questionable that he will be a first rounder he’s back, as he should. But I don’t think the Copeland injury will be overlooked by him. 

Yeah Cope's journey could cost NU not only this year as Isaac was the Huskers' most efficient player... but, now, it could cost NU next year, too. So Nebrasketball. #sheesh

23 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Hopefully I’m wrong but I have heard Roby is gone regardless of who the coach is. Maybe the will change if we do in fact land Hoiberg and Hoiberg knocks his socks off. 

Either way, can’t blame him if he goes. And if he does...hopefully it will help with recruiting seeing a Nebraska players name on draft boards. 

Hurts to say this, but if this is the case good for him. He's done a lot for the program while he's been here and I wish him nothing but success where he ends up. Just as life, he's trying to do what he thinks is best for his career and you've got to commend him for it. Selfishly would be nice to have some stability and keep him around though.

Weighing the monetary value of one more year as a pro vs the value of a college degree (which can always be picked up later) it is difficult to justify staying if you are a first round pick. Therefore intangibles which we can not project would make the difference since we don't know how much the pro grind of constant travel, instability of life on the road, financial needs of the family, etc. will play into his choice. Although as fans we all hope he falls to a second round choice and stays next year, in reality we will all be happy for him and wish him success if he decides to move on.