Will Roby be back next year?

ZAYWHAT!

Roby did not even earn honorable mention All B1G Ten.  If the Roby who played against Iowa yesterday could be bottled and sold then he might be a Grad Transfer.  He also could be the nucleus to build a team around for next year at NU.  Then he could build an NBA worthy resume.  

1 hour ago, Cazzie22 said:

Roby did not even earn honorable mention All B1G Ten.  If the Roby who played against Iowa yesterday could be bottled and sold then he might be a Grad Transfer.  He also could be the nucleus to build a team around for next year at NU.  Then he could build an NBA worthy resume.  

That tells you how the league sees him. He's the biggest Jekyll and Hyde in the league, but unfortunately, Jekyll is the dominant personality. He's almost a "path of least resistance" personality. He'll stay because it's the easiest decision to make. 

I figured before the season that for us to have had a good year, we'd have to land 3 players on the All Conference teams. We had the potential to land 4. Palmer on first team, Cope on 2d, Watson and or Roby on 3rd. None of those things happened, and I think James was fortunate to get a 3rd team slot. 

9 minutes ago, tcp said:

That tells you how the league sees him. He's the biggest Jekyll and Hyde in the league, but unfortunately, Jekyll is the dominant personality. He's almost a "path of least resistance" personality. He'll stay because it's the easiest decision to make. 

I figured before the season that for us to have had a good year, we'd have to land 3 players on the All Conference teams. We had the potential to land 4. Palmer on first team, Cope on 2d, Watson and or Roby on 3rd. None of those things happened, and I think James was fortunate to get a 3rd team slot. 

The odds of landing more than 1-2 players were basically zero.    There’s far too many other good players in this league 

Just now, nustudent said:

I wasnt talking about Michigan.  I was talking about us.

It's beside the point. I said "that's what we'd need to do x..." Michigan gets five. I didn't say I predicted we'd get x, although thanks to the endless sea of scroll that is honorable mention, 3 was not out of the frigging question. 

We didn't get x. And we didn't finish in the top half. Is this really this hard or are you just bored? 

Northwestern had Dererk Pardon on both the coaches and media HM. They finished last, by far. Shoot, Vic Law was their best dude, in my opinion. I'm sure he's annoyed, even. haha

I think Nebraska had 3 dudes (besides JPJ) who could've been there on B1G honorable mention, at least 1 minimum. And JPJ is clearly a top 15 dude in the league.

Edited by AuroranHusker

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

Northwestern had Dererk Pardon on both the coaches and media HM. They finished last, by far. Shoot, Vic Law was their best dude, in my opinion. I'm sure he's annoyed, even. haha

I think Nebraska had 3 dudes (besides JPJ) who could've been there on B1G honorable mention, at least 1 minimum. And JPJ is clearly a top 15 dude in the league.

Surprised about Law, too. 

I figured James would sneak into 3rd team because of his ppg. I thought Roby might get honorable mention because of the handful of monster games he had, but in the end, a ratio of one monster game to 3-4 snoozes obviously wasn't going to impress voters. 

Where a team finishes still has a big impact on thee kinds of awards and obviously being on the bottom means your players weren't exactly world beaters. 

11 minutes ago, tcp said:

Surprised about Law, too. 

I figured James would sneak into 3rd team because of his ppg. I thought Roby might get honorable mention because of the handful of monster games he had, but in the end, a ratio of one monster game to 3-4 snoozes obviously wasn't going to impress voters. 

Where a team finishes still has a big impact on thee kinds of awards and obviously being on the bottom means your players weren't exactly world beaters. 

I actually thought Glynn Watson Jr should have been the one (as in my notion of 1 minimum out of 3 possibilities) from Nebraska. Roby doesn't bring it all the time. And Cope was hurt. JPJ gets everyone's best defender on him, so ppl know about him. GW3 had a really good year, he had a couple of really B1G clunkers in there. And maybe that doomed him. And, yes, of course, NU didn't do well enough -- but how does Dererk Pardon warrant HM by both coaches & media, and not a dude like Law?! Makes little sense in how they distribute some of these spots. Obviously win & you're "in" the club.

Edited by AuroranHusker

20 hours ago, tcp said:

Stephen Bardo must not have a vote!

Per Sports Illustrated.  They sort of think pretty highly of Mr. Roby:

2019 NBA Draft Big Board 5.0: Top 80 Rankings Ahead of NCAA Tournament

36. ISAIAH ROBY, F/C, NEBRASKA | JUNIOR

Height: 6'8" | Weight: 225 | Age: 21 | Last Rank: 42

Roby is a player who needs to be watched closely to properly understand his impact, much of which goes beyond the box score. Nebraska went into a tailspin this season, but Roby has spent the entire year playing out of position at the five. He has solid ball skills, has worked diligently on his outside shot and profiles nicely as an athletic, positionless big who can play inside and out. He has the size, agility and shot-blocking chops to be a solid, versatile defender. You can also make the argument that he was often under-utilized offensively on a team with selfish guards. While Roby has not always been the most consistent player, his projectable tools and skill set should have him in first-round consideration by June.

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Yikes. I hope Roby can come to an understanding that he still has significant holes in his game that he could shore up as a Senior Leader. Nebrasketball could be really good with the guys led by one B1G-time baller, Isaiah Roby. He's a game-changer, or potentially one, as it were.

Edited by AuroranHusker

I thought I read he is able to graduate this spring/summer.   I agree he would be better off not going to the NBA right now - but I would expect him to grad transfer if it is correct that he can - assuming MIles is gone anyway.   I think the only chance he stays without Miles here is if he has a really good girlfriend in Lincoln.

Just now, HuskerBB said:

I think the only chance he stays without Miles here is if he has a really good girlfriend in Lincoln.

Notably, I think it's his high school girlfriend who came to Nebraska because of him, and is not subject to transfer rules. Not sure I'd bank on her keeping him here.

21 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

All you guys forgot I am kidnapping him and will only be allowed out of the basement for the weight room, practice and games.. All classes will be on-line.

I think I said this like 3 months ago.?

I need someone to get that Gorilla Professionalism instilled in young Zay Roby, might as well be an actual gorilla. ?

1 hour ago, thrasher31 said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2826542-2019-nba-mock-draft-full-1st-round-predictions-entering-march-madness

B/R has him as a late first but, and I quote: will need a few years in order to become a solid role player in the league. 

Think he is gone regardless but the one hope we had in keeping him IMO just got tweeted out by Lars