Will Roby be back next year?

ZAYWHAT!

Copeland , Glynn , Tanner,  and Palmer are all gone.  He would be the only returning senior.       We all know Isaiah has aspirations to play in the NBA.    It seems that the majority of those drafted these days are freshmen or sophomores.   Looking at his future from Isaiah’s possible perspective ,  does coming back for his senior year improve his chances in the nba draft?    It seems nearly a done deal that there will be a new coach in Nebraska.   New coach and a new system.      It seems to me that with the big three seniors leaving and tanner as well that  there will be less overall talent next year on the floor for the huskers  than this year.   Could be a long season.   Would a losing season hurt his chances of making the nba?    Isaiah would likely be playing the 5 spot again for the huskers quite a bit of the time  , not his natural position.    He would seemingly be the featured scorer which could be good for him as he doesn’t seem to have ever allowed himself to step into that roll.  I’m not sure he is capable of that roll.   He had so many opportunities after Copeland went down to step up and score and did not do it most of the time.    Was it because it’s not the kind of player he is?   Did he lack confidence?  Was he too unselfish? Was he just not capable of stepping up and becoming a consistent scorer?    Is he capable of making it in the nba or was this his audition down the stretch this season in the big ten and he did not pass the test?  He has big games from time to time and he does amazing things  from time to time.    Will coming back help or hurt him?  Has he showed enough?  ESPNs mock NBA draft online had him at 32 this past week even after the disappointing slide of the Huskers this season and Isaiah’s ups and downs.   What do you think ?     

I hope he gives the new coach a shot at 'recruiting' him to stay. But if he's ready to move on, it's understandable and I certainly wouldn't blame him. 

If he's asking me -- and I'm sure he is -- and he has a 1st-round draft grade, there's no way I would recommend that he comes back.

I would love to have him back, but this is a situation where he needs to be very selfish, especially with the coach who recruited him no longer going to be here.

Edited by throwback

1 minute ago, DOATHLON said:

Grad transfer or NBA?

I really, really doubt he grad transfers. Not that I have any personal insight or have ever met him, but he really doesn't seem the type. As deferential as he is on the court, he doesn't seem like the type to switch schools. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he leaves to go pro somewhere though.

I really don't see a value for him in coming back under the current equation.   He's going to be stuck playing the 5 all year.   That doesn't improve his stock at all.  He's going to be a SF/stretch 4 at the next level.   If he's not playing there this year, I don't see anything to gain in coming back.  He's going to have a learning curve either way.   May as well get paid for it.

42 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

I think it would benefit him with another year of college, but if he is projected in top 32 than I would leave and not think twice.  IMO he just needs to work on being more consistent, we see flashes but the consistency still needs work!

If you're even projected in the 2nd round nowadays you go regardless 

4 minutes ago, DOATHLON said:

He’s been an awesome dude at Nebraska. Cheer for him whatever he decides. If he’s got a top 32 projection he should leave. On the other hand if he stays he will be part of a fun team with a prolific coach. Plus he can work on his outside shooting. Next year will be fun

It would be certainly more fun with Senior Roby leading the squad. He could be a B1G factor in this conference, now that he knows how good he is. ?

39 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

If he came back he would play the 5 maybe 25 percent of the time tops. No matter who the coach is. Playing the 5 is likely his greatest asset to NBA teams too.  Weather he comes back or not he’s been a great guy for this program and I suspect that would continue as an alum.

Forgot about all those talented 5s we have waiting in the wings to take time from him 

If I’m coaching next year my pitch to Roby is that the whole show runs through him.  He isn’t really a 5 on offense as he is a face up player with range.  Defensively, he has become a pretty damned good post defender.  I actually think this improves his draft stock—gain another 10lbs of muscle and shut down opposing 5s while being a swing player on the other end.  That’s a rare NBA bird.  

The more I watch Roby, the more his skill set reminds me of Draymond.  In fact, I could see a team like Golden State or San Antonio having enough of a keen eye to take him as a late first rounder, but I truly feel that will require a great senior season.  

If Roby can graduate soon, it would more than likely be in his best interest to do a grad-transfer year at a power 5 school that it looks like he'll have a huge impact on. 

That being said - he'd be our guy in a small ball line-up and would get ample opportunities to abuse opposing teams bigs. He'd also benefit greatly by having two guards who can actually shoot and get to the paint quickly in Burke and Green. 

37 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

If Roby can graduate soon, it would more than likely be in his best interest to do a grad-transfer year at a power 5 school that it looks like he'll have a huge impact on. 

That being said - he'd be our guy in a small ball line-up and would get ample opportunities to abuse opposing teams bigs. He'd also benefit greatly by having two guards who can actually shoot and get to the paint quickly in Burke and Green. 

I like your 2nd paragraph more than the first. ?

16 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

You don’t think the new coach will bring in a 5? And you don’t think heiman will put on weight? And you think we have someone who’s capable of playing the 4? 

It's possible he might.  Not a given.   Is he ready to play right away?  Maybe Heiman puts on weight.   Nothing I saw tells me he's anywhere close to taking time from Roby.   Right now, no one who is capable of playing high quality minutes at the 4. 

It's possible we end up with those guys that allow Roby to play the 4.  We absolutely do not have them right now.  

43 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Whoever our coach is next year (and all the years after that) needs to be a great recruiter.

It seems mostly that Roby likes it here at Nebraska. If Roby isn't going pro and whomever is the coach here for 2019-20 can't convince him to stay, then maybe we have the wrong guy.

Maybe his G/F can, I think she'll still remain a student at UNL next year. I'd tab her the lead recruiter, just in case.... ?