uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 31 - Iowa

hhcmatt

Nebraska claws back from a 16 point deficit including a 9!!! point deficit in the last minute to force OT and pull out a 93-91 win.

Here are those last 50 seconds

0:50        Jordan Bohannon made Free Throw.    73 - 65    
0:50        Jordan Bohannon made Free Throw.    74 - 65    
0:47        James Palmer Jr. made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Thorir Thorbjarnarson.    74 - 68    
0:44        Luka Garza made Free Throw.    75 - 68    
0:44        Luka Garza made Free Throw.    76 - 68    
0:42        Glynn Watson Jr. made Three Point Jumper.    76 - 71    
0:40        Jordan Bohannon made Free Throw.    77 - 71    
0:40        Jordan Bohannon made Free Throw.    78 - 71    
0:38        James Palmer Jr. made Three Point Jumper.    78 - 74    
0:29        Amir Harris made Free Throw.    78 - 75    
0:29        Amir Harris made Free Throw.    78 - 76    
0:27        Joe Wieskamp made Free Throw.    79 - 76    
0:27        Joe Wieskamp made Free Throw.    80 - 76    
0:23        Glynn Watson Jr. made Three Point Jumper.    80 - 79    
0:19        Connor McCaffery made Free Throw.    81 - 79    
0:19        Connor McCaffery missed Free Throw.    81 - 79    
0:12        James Palmer Jr. made Layup.    81 - 81    
0:00        End of 2nd half    81 - 81    

Quite the wedding gift today for @uneblinstu

Congrats man!

Watson and Palmer logged a lot of minutes today.  Was nice to see both of them hit key shots down the stretch and in OT after struggling most of the game.

Trueblood didn't score (I don't think) and yet gave Miles some incredible minutes.

Harris and Thor playing post in OT and holding their own was fun to watch.

Harris first couple steps to the rim are amazingly fast.

When Roby is on he is so much fun to watch.

Tanner had a great day for his last day playing at home.

Hopefully Allen is ready by Wednesday

Just a fun game today once the good guys kicked it in.

I have no words. Crazy game. 

-That's the first team all big ten JPJ we had last year that we needed most of the year. I'm happy he got it on his senior day

-Glynn Watson has always been one of my favorite players. Watching him heat up like that was very nice to see

-the fact we won in OT with all guards when Iowa has very good post players stands to the grit of these guys. 

-johnny gave us very good minutes today. 

-roby had a career high, and I still think he could've had more. 

Overall. This was the game I wanted to win to send the seniors and probably Miles out on a high note. I watched him as he left the arena, he looked choked up when he heard everyone cheer. Happy he got this

Edited by thrasher31

1 minute ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'm trying to decide if the "unsung hero play-of-the-game" should go to Johnny Trueblood assisting Roby for a layup, then stealing the inbound and dishing to Roby for a dunk OR if we give it to Thor and his Hammer of the Gods block on Bohannon to seal the W. 

Trueblood.   If he doesn’t make that steal, the latter doesn’t occur 

3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'm trying to decide if the "unsung hero play-of-the-game" should go to Johnny Trueblood assisting Roby for a layup, then stealing the inbound and dishing to Roby for a dunk OR if we give it to Thor and his Hammer of the Gods block on Bohannon to seal the W. 

Why can't you do both?

So happy for the seniors - what a way to end their careers at home.

Reminded me a lot of 2013 Iowa game at Devaney when Talley hit the 3 late. The rally was much earlier in 2013, but it was fun to put together another huge 2nd half double-digit comeback against Iowa with an outmanned team again.

Edited by throwback

2 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

There are some posts over in the game thread about page 3-5 that didn’t age well. If you read the thread backwards , it pretty much encapsulates this season and maybe Mile’s tenure. 

It's good that you have the opportunity--a rare one--to salt the earth with them. Sunshine's been exorbitant at the pump these days. Enjoy!

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

The Huskers (16-15 overall, 6-14 Big Ten) scored 16 points in the final 47 seconds of regulation ? and made 10 of their final 11 field goal attempts? including nine in a row at one point, over those 47 seconds? and overtime.

Huge thanks to @nebrasketball10 for the tickets. My family has an awesome time joining me. 

Everyone saved the game, didn’t they? If Palmer and Watson go 3-4 instead of 4-4 in the final minute, we lose. If trueblood doesn’t come up with that, we lose. If Roby doesn’t do his thing, we lose. If Harris misses that layup, we probably lose. 

Too hard to single one one thing out because it was all so important. Amazing team effort is what I’d call it.

Notes

*-Nebraska erased a 16-point second-half deficit to win 93-91 in overtime. The 16-point deficit tied for the second-largest Husker comeback under Tim Miles, trailing only a 19-point comeback against Iowa on Feb. 23, 2013.
*-The Huskers scored 16 points in the final 47 seconds, erasing a nine-point deficit. James Palmer Jr. and Glynn Watson Jr. each hit a pair of 3-pointers during the run, while Palmer scored eight points himself in the final 47 seconds, including the game-tying basket with 12 seconds remaining.
*-Nebraska played its first overtime game of the season and first since a 76-74 loss at Penn State on Jan. 12, 2018. The Huskers snapped a three-game losing streak in overtime, posting their first overtime victory since a 93-90 double-overtime win over Iowa on Jan. 5, 2017.
*-NU won when trailing at the half for just the second time this season.
*-Nebraska scored 50 points in the second half, its only 50-point half in Big Ten play and its first 50-point half since also scoring 50 in the second half against Cal State Fullerton on Dec. 22, 2018.
*-The Huskers were 13-of-26 from the 3-point line, including making their final five 3-pointers over the final 47 seconds of regulation and all of overtime. Nebraska’s 13 3-pointers were its most in a Big Ten Conference game this year and third-highest total overall. The Huskers’ 50 percent shooting from 3-point range was their second-best mark of the season and highest in conference play.
*-Three Huskers scored 20 or more points, with James Palmer Jr. leading the way with a game-high 27 points and Isaiah Roby and Glynn Watson Jr. each scoring 23 points. Sunday marked the first time Nebraska has had three players score 20 points in the same game since Marcus Perry (25), Aleks Maric (23) and Paul Velander (20) each scored 20 points against Oklahoma State on March 5, 2007.
*-James Palmer Jr. produced his second straight 20-point performance and 15th this season. His 15 20-point games are the most by a Husker since Tyronn Lue had 16 20-point efforts in the 1997-98.
*-Glynn Watson Jr. tied his season high with 25 points. Watson has scored 25 points in back-to-back games and three times in his past four games.
*-Isaiah Roby finished with career highs in both points (23) and 3-pointers (four). He had 22 points against Penn State on Jan. 10, while his previous 3-point best was three on several occasions, most recently against Northwestern on Feb. 15. It was Roby’s fourth 20-point game of the season and his career. 
*-With 27 points, James Palmer Jr. climbed from ninth to seventh on NU’s single-season scoring chart. His 593 points is the most by a Husker since Tyronn Lue scored 603 points in the 1996-97 season.
*-Palmer broke NU’s single-season record for free throws attempted with 238 breaking the mark of 227 he shared with Kimani Ffriend in 1999-2000. With five made free throws, Palmer also tied the Nebraska season record of 189 free throws, joining Jack Moore, who made 184 free throws in the 1979-80 season. 
*-Tanner Borchardt finished with eight points and eight rebounds. It marked the 13th time this season he has grabbed at least five rebounds in a game, while his eight points tied for his second-highest total of the year. 
*-Amir Harris had the game-winning basket with 10 seconds left in overtime. Harris scored eight points and grabbed a career-high 10 rebounds.
*-Nebraska finished the season with a school-record average attendance of 15,649, breaking the previous mark of 15,569 set during the 2014-15 season.

Just listened to post-game replay, Kent's call of the final play was awesome - loved the other highlights of the big shots too. 

Thought I heard a bang-a-rang-a-rang-a-rang in there.

And I appreciated Coach's comments after the game too. Really heaped all the praise on the players, couldn't say enough how proud he was of them & the seniors. Sounded like a guy who knows it's coming to an end, but didn't want it to be about him at all, which I appreciate.

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

No Sit Sunday and No Quit Sunday: Probably the two most electric environments I've seen at PBA.

Don't forget Nebraska winning over Iowa in double-OT in Watson's SOPH year. Glynn made 7 of 8 threes that night, and then tonight on Senior Day he once again made 7 threes. Go Big GW3!

Edited by AuroranHusker