Program expectations?

Wondering what some of your guys expectations are for the program going forward? It looks like the miles era has a few weeks left to it only. So weather we hit a home run with a guy like hoiberg or go mid major w a guy like Craig Smith what do you see as a measuring point for the program? 

I think we should be in the range of an 18 win team( 8 outa conference wins and ten in conference wins every year ) that has a chance to go to the NIT every year and to go to the big dance every 2-3 years. 

Wondering what some of your guys expectations are for the program going forward? It looks like the miles era has a few weeks left to it only. So weather we hit a home run with a guy like hoiberg or go mid major w a guy like Craig Smith what do you see as a measuring point for the program? 

I think we should be in the range of an 18 win team( 8 outa conference wins and ten in conference wins every year ) that has a chance to go to the NIT every year and to go to the big dance every 2-3 years. 
So what makes Hoiberg a home run hire?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I think every fans expectation for a good program is one that's regularly at the dance. That's generally in the top 50 in the country year in and year out. What we can live with is probably different. 

I can live with a team that's 500-ish 3 out of 4 years and every 4th year goes to the tourney and wins a game or something. But if you can build a juggernaut in bloody Spokane, you can do it here, too. 

19 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

These are realistic expectations that I 100% agree with. This is what we should be striving for after the new hire. 

I would say look to Iowa State, Oklahoma, Kansas State to name a few.  Dance regularly whether it's the NCAA or NIT.  No reason we can't expect that out of our basketball coaches and there is no reason we should expect the school officials to do what is needed to make it happen.  I know it's been beat to death but we CAN be a football school that has a good basketball program (see OU, Michigan, Florida, UCLA).  

My expectations after the new regime is established (2-3 years) would be:

1) Avoid the play in game in the conference tournament (Top ten in the league)

2) Make the postseason 4 out of 5 years - 2 NCAA, 2 NIT - with one NCAA bid at least a 6 seed or higher

I know that is asking a lot based on our history, but I would like to believe it could be done with the right hire.

1.  Instill a unique system that establishes a clear cut identity and allows us to focus on specific, criteria-driven role players in recruiting while obviously making the exception for transcendent great ones.  

2.  Once #1 is in place (give it a year), improve incrementally each season as we fulfill our identity.

3.  Eventually #2 evolves us into the next Iowa--a perennial NCAA-capable program.  

1 hour ago, Bugeaters1 said:

So what makes Hoiberg a home run hire?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I was basing my comment off the coach thread where hoiberg is brought up a lot. I’m not sure if he would be a home run hire or not. He would get the state pretty jazzed up along with the media though. 

My ideal candidate is Thad matta but after doing some research I don’t think he ends up being an option 

2 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

I am 67.  I want an NCAA victory, one game, before I leave this earth.  Selfish indeed.  But it shouldn’t be an impossible dream. 

no, it shouldn't be. considering pretty much every other fan in America has realized this dream but us, you'd think we weren't asking for very much. 

4 minutes ago, jason2486 said:

I honestly feel like with the right coach, we should be no worse than a bubble team almost every year. That doesn't mean we make it each season obviously, but if schools like Wisconsin can do it, why the hell can't we??

wisconsin made a great coaching hire in 1995 that lead them to a final four and have been riding that success all the way until now. 

gotta get the right coach to start building something.

2 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

wisconsin made a great coaching hire in 1995 that lead them to a final four and have been riding that success all the way until now. 

gotta get the right coach to start building something.

Exactly. Wisconsin wasn't good in either football or basketball 'til the mid-90s. Nebraska can certainly accomplish B1G things in both sports, the Huskers have done some damage nationally, it's just been a minute.......