Nebraska (15-14) vs. Michigan St. (23-6) Game thread

Just now, tcp said:

90+ points again on the road. our defensive effort is so ungodly horrid these days. 

that's just motivation. and this team has so little of it. 

I am looking forward to the laundry coming out of the locker room after the season to get an idea of where it all went wrong. 

I thought the effort was there tonight.  Just one of the better coaches found mismatches and exploited them.  Add to that a guy making 1 3-pointer a game goes 6 - 9 from 3.  McQuaid goes 4 - 5 from 3.  

I'd actually be embarrassed to be a Michigan State fan and giving up 76 to Nebraska.

33 minutes ago, brfrad said:

I thought the effort was there tonight.  Just one of the better coaches found mismatches and exploited them.  Add to that a guy making 1 3-pointer a game goes 6 - 9 from 3.  McQuaid goes 4 - 5 from 3.  

I'd actually be embarrassed to be a Michigan State fan and giving up 76 to Nebraska.

agreed on the last sentence. Sparty played poor defensively tonight. they didn't handle the large leads well at all. 

As for the 3 pt percentage, those tend to go up when you have a few yards open in every direction for the shot. These guys could've done needlework waiting for the shot with as much space as they had to shoot. 

12 minutes ago, tcp said:

agreed on the last sentence. Sparty played poor defensively tonight. they didn't handle the large leads well at all. 

As for the 3 pt percentage, those tend to go up when you have a few yards open in every direction for the shot. These guys could've done needlework waiting for the shot with as much space as they had to shoot. 

that wide open look for 3 rarely happened earlier this year.  Guys played hard tonight but lack of communication, inexperience, and not knowing responsibilities ends up leaving guys wide open.

3 minutes ago, Bill Self's Toupee said:

I am not sure I agree with you here...  we've been giving other teams lots of wide open 3s for quite some time.  Maybe not as many during non-conf because we were playing the majority of our games versus lesser talented teams.

This is spot on, but should not be happening at the tail end of a season.  Hard to watch.

Well, we could probably look at any statistical split before/after Michigan St, and none of them are positive after.  But our defense was stellar prior to that.  After Copeland, whether personnel or effort, teams seemed to be hitting their stride against our defense, especially from 3 pt range.

1 minute ago, Bill Self's Toupee said:

You're probably right, I was going on my 'gut' recollection of the early part of the season.

Allow me to play Captain Obvious here... there was a large gap between Copeland and whoever we were going to use as a replacement (and ended up magnifying our depth problems as well). When we went from 4 quality players to 3 on the court, it became easier for opposing teams to pass/shift to a mismatch beyond the arc.  Both our Offense and Defense production has been hit hard since the Ohio State game.

Copeland was not all-conference but was part of the collective and filled his role perfectly (and fit in this team perfectly).  Without him, I don't think NE starting five is better than anyone in conference other than NW. 

2 hours ago, 89Husker said:

Copeland was not all-conference but was part of the collective and filled his role perfectly (and fit in this team perfectly).  Without him, I don't think NE starting five is better than anyone in conference other than NW. 

We lose a 5-star starter, his replacement is a walk-on with limited ability. Ward and Langford go down for MSU. Nick Goings, who was a walk-on originally for Sparty, and would have most likely started for us for possibly 2 years, fills in nicely and is a threat to score. MSU gets guys like Goings to walk-on, we get guys like Costello, Tanner, and Johnny (no offense to them).

Edited by jason2486

1 hour ago, jason2486 said:

We lose a 5-star starter, his replacement is a walk-on with limited ability. Ward and Langford go down for MSU. Nick Goings, who was a walk-on originally for Sparty, and would have most likely started for us for possibly 2 years, fills in nicely and is a threat to score. MSU gets guys like Goings to walk-on, we get guys like Costello, Tanner, and Johnny (no offense to them).

Kenny Goings was the dude tonight with a couple other guys who had supporting roles. Last time vs MSU it was Cassius Winston with Nick Ward as his side-kick. MSU has no shortage of "options."

Edited by AuroranHusker