Miles is retained what does the team look like

7 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Miles is 1 game over .500 right now in 7 years with 1 NCAA bid and that was only because we got hot down the stretch.

Not to mention that our best roster in 20 years only beat 1 tournament team (maybe 2 if Clemson squeezes in this year). Moos also wants to be competitive in the conference, which an average of 10.5th place just doesn't cut it.

16 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

You are actually making a case to fire Miles.  Every year, we have enough talent to win and every year, it seems like we have an excuse why it doesn't happen.  That has been the motto of NU basketball for years is "wait till next year".  This year was going to be our "next year" and it totally collapsed under Miles.  Even losing Copeland, this team had enough talent to win games and Miles hasn't gotten the job done.  Both years under Miles that we actually had high expectations (the year following our NCAA bid and this year) have both been huge disappointments.  Miles can't seem to capitalize on his own success.  Miles was deemed a program building coach but it is clear that Craig Smith was the reason for much of that success. 

Miles is 1 game over .500 right now in 7 years with 1 NCAA bid and that was only because we got hot down the stretch.  I'm ready to take a step backwards if it finally means 2 steps forward for this program.  If Miles can't win with this the talent on the team this year, I see no indication he would win with the talent on next year's team as well.  If we are returning as much talent as you mention, then it shouldn't be a total rebuild for a new coach.  I also think season tickets sales would drop dramatically if Miles was retained. 

You last sentence is the big one.   I love Tim Miles the person, but if you keep Tim Miles the coach, fan apathy is going to set in VERY quickly.   And like many have said, you can't keep a coach just to keep current players or recruits because even if you do keep the coach, chances are a few players are going to leave anyway.

47 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Not to mention that our best roster in 20 years only beat 1 tournament team (maybe 2 if Clemson squeezes in this year). Moos also wants to be competitive in the conference, which an average of 10.5th place just doesn't cut it.

Bracket matrix has Minnesota, Clemson in.  They also have Seton Hall, Indiana, and Creighton as the first four out.

12 hours ago, Meltor1 said:

I know I'm in the minority, and that's fine, but I think we should retain Miles unless we can bring in a surefire coach.  Matta, Altmann, Hoiberg, essentially any coach with proven NCAA success who doesn't bring baggage.  I know it's year 7. I know if Moos fires Miles, it's easily justifiable. But Miles has led one team to the tournament, had another one that should have been in last year, and at one point this year, had a team that was being discussed as a 4 seed in the NCAA tourney. I think he's a young coach who is still trying to figure some things out. I think the good news about him is he knows his flaws. The question now is if he can fix them. He knew at the start of the year that his team didn't have a natural leader. He talked often at the start of the season about his worries concerning his team's mental deficits.  So,  he got help.  I think it's interesting that we had a swagger with the Navy SEAL on board that we lost when he left. I think it's interesting that we lost to Rutgers, Illinois, and Penn State this year all as they were hitting their stride, losses that don't look as shocking now as they did then. I think it's interesting that if one less bucket goes in against KU last year and we're in the tourney, we're not having this retention conversation. My long-winded point is this: I think everything that could have gone wrong this year went wrong, we played teams at the wrong times as they were getting hot, and we lost who I think is our best player in Copeland when we needed him most. Yes, this year sucked, but I don't think it's indicative of what's to come. I think Tim Miles is on the verge of having a breakthrough year soon, I just hope it's with us and not someone else. This post may get some laughs, and after the Penn St and Michigan games, I was thinking he should be let go. However, I really think he's the best coach we've had since Nee (though I liked how Sadler's teams scrapped). I don't think it's a slam dunk that he's being let go. 

I'm so weary of rebuilds.  I'm so weary of waiting 5-7 years to see if another up and comer mid-major or assistant can figure out how to win in the Big Ten.  At least TM has 7 years experience as a head coach in the BIG, and he is smart, and presumably learning what it takes to win in the conference.   I have about as much confidence in a new mid-major coach coming in and learning from scratch what it takes to win in a power conference vs. a coach who has been doing it for a while and has had at least a modicum of success. 

That said, I'm also weary of losing, so if Moos can hook Hoiberg or Matta or Sampson, I can't argue with that. 

On 3/5/2019 at 6:20 PM, Huskerpapa said:

Man, another hijacked thread.  This was supposed to be a thread of "what happens if Miles is retained."  Come on, let one thread go as intended.

There are 215 pages of threads on this version of HHC. The number of threads that have stayed on topic is roughly 4. And that may be generous...

2 hours ago, uneblinstu said:
On 3/5/2019 at 7:20 PM, Huskerpapa said:

Man, another hijacked thread.  This was supposed to be a thread of "what happens if Miles is retained."  Come on, let one thread go as intended.

There are 215 pages of threads on this version of HHC. The number of threads that have stayed on topic is roughly 4. And that may be generous...

Speaking of threads... what's everyone's most preferred thread count? I hear at some point it's basically diminishing returns and just a marketing ploy.

5 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Roster turnover with a new Coach would make us markedly worse regardless of who it is...

Theres going to be turnover here regardless.   And maybe we are slightly better next year with Miles, because he keeps Green. Maybe.    This change isn’t about winning 13 games instead of 10 next year