Miles is retained what does the team look like

Speaking hypothetically at this point (can't believe I'm speaking hypothetically about our current coach being retained), but we would be returning guys with experience that can be every bit as good as the current group. This is what happens in college basketball, where you are constantly having to replace guys who are graduating. This isn't unique to Nebraska. Other schools will also be replacing key players. We aren't really losing Copeland since he has essentially been out for 50% of the season. JPJ is not the same player he was earlier in the year or last season. Glynn has struggled since conference play

What does next year look like with what we have now.

*All 6 have played this year. 

Roby - Sr 6'8

Allen - Jr 6'1

Akenten - Jr 6'6

Harris - So 6'6

Heiman - So 6'11

Thorir - Jr 6'6

*These will be in the mix

Davis - RsFr 6'6

Burke - RsJr 6-4 

*1 of these 3 will contribute for sure

Adams-Woods Fr 6'3

Green So or Jr 6'3

Arop  Fr 6'5

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe we still have 1 open scholarship. Go get another big man and this is a very balanced class.

Athletic group with length.

This group passes the eyeball test. Only 1 Juco and no transfers, as of yet. Looks to me like Miles has built a solid recruiting foundation. 

Starters: 

Roby

Allen 

Aketen/Harris

Burke

Heiman/*Transfer or JUCO big man

That leaves us a decent bench of Aketen/Harris, Green, MAW, Davis, Thorir. 

A new coach means that we could loose any or all of:

Adams-Woods

Roby

Harris

Allen

Davis

Heiman?

Akenten

Yes this season has not been a good one and I'm not happy about it but I'm also not ready for another rebuild.

If we can speculate about Miles replacement we can certainly speculate about if he isn't replaced. Perhaps this needs to be in its own thread.

We're right where we were at this year heading into next year.... a big man away.  It seems that our transfers best years (Petteway, Pitchford, Palmer) are their first year back after sitting a year, so Burke should be a good to go.  I agree that Miles has built a solid foundation to work with.  I think the biggest question for the admin is going to be "will he be able to do the job with the tools he's recruited?"

10 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Speaking hypothetically at this point (can't believe I'm speaking hypothetically about our current coach being retained), but we would be returning guys with experience that can be every bit as good as the current group. This is what happens in college basketball, where you are constantly having to replace guys who are graduating. This isn't unique to Nebraska. Other schools will also be replacing key players. We aren't really losing Copeland since he has essentially been out for 50% of the season. JPJ is not the same player he was earlier in the year or last season. Glynn has struggled since conference play

Roby - Sr 6'8

Allen - Jr 6'1

Akenten - Jr 6'6

Harris - So 6'6

Heiman - So 6'11

Thorir - Jr 6'6

Davis - RsFr 6'6

Burke - RsJr 6-4 

Adams-Woods Fr 6'3

Green So or Jr 6'3

Arop  Fr 6'5

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe we still have 1 open scholarship. Go get another big man and this is a very balanced class.

This group passes the eyeball test. Only 1 Juco and no transfers, as of yet. Looks to me like Miles has built a solid recruiting foundation. 

Starters: 

Roby

Allen 

Aketen/Harris

Burke

Adams-Woods

Roby

Harris

Allen

Davis

Heiman?

Akenten

Yes this season has not been a good one and I'm not happy about it but I'm also not ready for another rebuild.

If we can speculate about Miles replacement we can certainly speculate about if he isn't replaced. Perhaps this needs to be in its own thread.

If Green is on campus, he will start. He’d start this year.

I’d say Green, Burke, Roby for sure. I think Harris would start over Tom Allen too. And then you pray that you can find another big to sign late that’s either JUCO or a grad transfer. A solid bench of Tom, MAW, Brady and hopefully an improved Nana.

Just now, Jugular said:

If Green is on campus, he will start. He’d start this year.

I’d say Green, Burke, Roby for sure. I think Harris would start over Tom Allen too. And then you pray that you can find another big to sign late that’s either JUCO or a grad transfer. A solid bench of Tom, MAW, Brady and hopefully an improved Nana.

I get the angst among people that say it could be the same thing next year.  However, I think it's only a fair assessment if we have the same jockey.  We have the horses to compete next year (as long as we can add a big man), and I don't think that the horses should be in question.  If you want to question the jockey though, I think that is totally fair.

26 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

This is what happens in college basketball, where you are constantly having to replace guys who are graduating.  JPJ is not the same player he was earlier in the year or last season. Glynn has struggled since conference play

20-0 in B1G play. 

33 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Very skeptical that we would find a big man that’s ready to play but I would agree that’s a roster that can compete with a capable big man. IMO we are a big man away from being a 20 win team annually. We just don’t have one nor do we have one on the horizon

If you have a starting position available a grad transfer becomes a little easier to get. If Jordy leaves in April or May it would’ve been much easier to find one for this season.

If he's retained what does it look like?  A lot like it does this year, disappointing and consistent with his career record.  You have a .500 coach producing .500 teams that can't win big games and don't make meaningful post season.

My personal opinion is that you can have decent talent and it won't translate under Miles.  He just is not a winner.  Way more stats back that up then don't.

42 minutes ago, Meltor1 said:

I know I'm in the minority, and that's fine, but I think we should retain Miles unless we can bring in a surefire coach.  Matta, Altmann, Hoiberg, essentially any coach with proven NCAA success who doesn't bring baggage.  I know it's year 7. I know if Moos fires Miles, it's easily justifiable. But Miles has led one team to the tournament, had another one that should have been in last year, and at one point this year, had a team that was being discussed as a 4 seed in the NCAA tourney. I think he's a young coach who is still trying to figure some things out. I think the good news about him is he knows his flaws. The question now is if he can fix them. He knew at the start of the year that his team didn't have a natural leader. He talked often at the start of the season about his worries concerning his team's mental deficits.  So,  he got help.  I think it's interesting that we had a swagger with the Navy SEAL on board that we lost when he left. I think it's interesting that we lost to Rutgers, Illinois, and Penn State this year all as they were hitting their stride, losses that don't look as shocking now as they did then. I think it's interesting that if one less bucket goes in against KU last year and we're in the tourney, we're not having this retention conversation. My long-winded point is this: I think everything that could have gone wrong this year went wrong, we played teams at the wrong times as they were getting hot, and we lost who I think is our best player in Copeland when we needed him most. Yes, this year sucked, but I don't think it's indicative of what's to come. I think Tim Miles is on the verge of having a breakthrough year soon, I just hope it's with us and not someone else. This post may get some laughs, and after the Penn St and Michigan games, I was thinking he should be let go. However, I really think he's the best coach we've had since Nee (though I liked how Sadler's teams scrapped). I don't think it's a slam dunk that he's being let go. 

I do agree with you, unless we get a big name coach Miles should be retained.  I do disagree with you that Altman is a big name, he's not!! Just think if we had Dad Pitino as head coach and son Pitino  as his assistant!!?? That would never happen but its some food for thought!!

I'll respectfully disagree with you, as Altman is definitely a big time coach.  Since he's been at Oregon, he's been to 2 rounds of 32, a sweet 16, an elite eight, and a final four.  We would be silly if we didn't try to pursue him.  At 60, he may just be open to one last stop before he retires, and coming home might hit the sweet spot for him.  

31 minutes ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

Why would we assume everyone will return if Miles is retained? I would bet Thomas Allen would transfer if Miles stayed ... I think there's a better chance Roby stays if Miles is fired than if he's retained.

I'm curious, what's the reasoning?  As far as Allen and Roby, that is.

34 minutes ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

Why would we assume everyone will return if Miles is retained? I would bet Thomas Allen would transfer if Miles stayed ... I think there's a better chance Roby stays if Miles is fired than if he's retained.

Agree completely.  I think the only way Roby and Allen might come back is with a new head coach that has some credibility garnered through winning.  In my opinion, I think Ed Morrow and Michael Jacobson left the program because they lost faith in Miles creating a winner.  JMO.

Edited by 36red

3 minutes ago, 36red said:

Agree completely.  I think the only way Roby and Allen might come back is with a new head coach that has some credibility garnered through winning.

I am with you, other than I could see Roby coming back no matter what because he doesn't want to go to NBA to try to improve draft spot, and doesn't want to go down a level to get zero exposure.  I could see him being here no matter who is the coach potentially.  

2 minutes ago, royalfan said:

I am with you, other than I could see Roby coming back no matter what because he doesn't want to go to NBA to try to improve draft spot, and doesn't want to go down a level to get zero exposure.  I could see him being here no matter who is the coach potentially.  

I think in the new world of college athletics whenever there is a head coaching change players are going to be allowed to transfer without sitting 1 year.  That seems to be the trend in football anyway.

No one would expect squat from that team so, of course, in classic Miles fashion they probably finish 3rd in the B1G but get snubbed for a tourney bid, land in the NIT as a 4 seed and lose to Wisconsin-Milwaukee. 

That's a pretty specific prediction. 

13 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

Roby - Sr 6'8

Allen - Jr 6'1

Akenten - Jr 6'6

Harris - So 6'6

Heiman - So 6'11

Thorir - Jr 6'6

Davis - RsFr 6'6

Burke - RsJr 6-4 

Adams-Woods Fr 6'3

Green So or Jr 6'3

Arop  Fr 6'5

Starters: 

Roby

Allen 

Aketen/Harris

Burke

Adams-Woods

Roby

Harris

Allen

Davis

Heiman?

Akenten

There will be transfers regardless of whether Miles stays or not.   That's just college basketball.   And I'd be shocked if Roby is back.

There is some decent guard depth (at least appears to be right now) but zero of anything in the front court.   It'd only set the program back farther if he is retained because next year is a rebuilding year regardless.

2 minutes ago, nustudent said:

There will be transfers regardless of whether Miles stays or not.   That's just college basketball.   And I'd be shocked if Roby is back.

There is some decent guard depth (at least appears to be right now) but zero of anything in the front court.   It'd only set the program back farther if he is retained because next year is a rebuilding year regardless.

Exactly. You never retain a coach based on what a roster may or may not look like the following year, especially in modern college athletics, where players transfer just as often as they stay.

The coach being retained or fired should be based entirely on results up to that date.

It's better to rip the Band-Aid® off and start anew than try to project what the team may look like if he stays ... because by the time the transfer dust settles, you may be starting anew anyway, even if the coach is retained.

(The Band-Aid® brand approves this message.)

If the miracle happens and TM is retained, he should be given at least a 3 or 4 year extension like the Pat Chambers "10 year plan". Another 1 year extension would do nothing for either next year's team or for recruiting. And as has been speculated ad infinitum, hiring a new head coach will mean starting over. Expecting more would be like expecting Les Miles to put KU into the playoff picture next year.

Terran Petteway

Shavon Shields

Walter Pitchford

Tai Webster

Andrew White III

Ed Morrow

Glynn Watson

James Palmer

Isaac Copeland

Isaiah Roby

Thomas Allen

All these highly rated, highly recruited players on our roster, have gotten us 0 NCAA Tourney appearances in the last 5 years since C. Smith left (assuming we don't make it this year).

I can't comprehend why anyone thinks the future will be different. It's an erroneous assumption to assume that all of our key players will stay if Miles is retained. Have you not been watching the past two months? I wouldn't exactly say our team is playing hard or fighting for anything. 

14 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

Roby - Sr 6'8

Allen - Jr 6'1

Akenten - Jr 6'6

Harris - So 6'6

Heiman - So 6'11

Thorir - Jr 6'6

Davis - RsFr 6'6

Burke - RsJr 6-4 

Adams-Woods Fr 6'3

Green So or Jr 6'3

Arop  Fr 6'5

Starters: 

Roby

Allen 

Aketen/Harris

Burke

Adams-Woods

Roby

Harris

Allen

Davis

Heiman?

Akenten

You are actually making a case to fire Miles.  Every year, we have enough talent to win and every year, it seems like we have an excuse why it doesn't happen.  That has been the motto of NU basketball for years is "wait till next year".  This year was going to be our "next year" and it totally collapsed under Miles.  Even losing Copeland, this team had enough talent to win games and Miles hasn't gotten the job done.  Both years under Miles that we actually had high expectations (the year following our NCAA bid and this year) have both been huge disappointments.  Miles can't seem to capitalize on his own success.  Miles was deemed a program building coach but it is clear that Craig Smith was the reason for much of that success. 

Miles is 1 game over .500 right now in 7 years with 1 NCAA bid and that was only because we got hot down the stretch.  I'm ready to take a step backwards if it finally means 2 steps forward for this program.  If Miles can't win with this the talent on the team this year, I see no indication he would win with the talent on next year's team as well.  If we are returning as much talent as you mention, then it shouldn't be a total rebuild for a new coach.  I also think season tickets sales would drop dramatically if Miles was retained.